Alaska stateroom position?

Which is the best side to be on for an Alaskan cruise? We're looking at the one way, Seward to Vancouver (or the other way). So should we book a cabin that will face east (land) or west (sea) to optimize possible whale spotting? 

Thank you.

Still never been on an Alaska cruise, but I would prefer to be on the side facing land (which is the starboard side).  This way, I can sit in the balcony and enjoy the views.  For whale watching, I'd probably go to a deck with open view.

Best spot on Alaska cruise is out on an open deck. Too much to see from both sides. You need to be able to move from side to side to see everything. We usually get balcony,  but not for Alaska. We save $$ for excursions ( very expensive)and we spend alot of time on outside decks, going from starboard to port. View from balcony too limited for us.

Alaska is mother Nature at her finest 

Safe sailing 

5 hours ago, theEvilQueen2 said:

Which is the best side to be on for an Alaskan cruise? We're looking at the one way, Seward to Vancouver (or the other way). So should we book a cabin that will face east (land) or west (sea) to optimize possible whale spotting? 

Thank you.

I'd book a stateroom facing East, but I agree, the best place to be is out on deck.

3 hours ago, nalrudaini said:

Still never been on an Alaska cruise, but I would prefer to be on the side facing land (which is the starboard side).  This way, I can sit in the balcony and enjoy the views.  For whale watching, I'd probably go to a deck with open view.

OP is cruising southbound so the starboard side would be facing west. I HAVE been on an Alaska cruise. We debated which side of the ship was better and we chose the port side thinking we would want to sit on our balcony and look at the land. The trouble is, most of the time when cruising, you are too far from land to see it. We also found that when trying to view scenery, quite often there were better views on the starboard side. We hardly ever spent time on our balcony viewing anything. If there were things to see, we wanted to be on the upper decks so we could walk from side to side to view things. My new answer to the question "which side is better for viewing things?" is: for an Alaska cruise, the best side of the ship is the OUT side. This gives you the freedom to move from side to side to see more.

• Like 2

We were just on the Ovation with a balcony and while we were at sea going from Skagway to Victoria people on both sides of the ship were spotting whales. When you dock in Juneau or Skagway the starboard side will be against the dock. Coming through the pass both sides have amazing views. We got pretty close to Endicott Glacier and then the Captain slowly did two 360 degree rotations so that everyone could get plenty of photos! Best cruise we have ever been on except for the time change(4 hours) and the short nights in Alaska! This one topped all of our Caribbean cruises.

• Like 1