Tropical Weather begins - join us over on the Hurricane Zone for discussions

PelicanBill

5 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

We've got some tropical weather developing for the gulf this week.  Join us over on the Hurricane Zone to talk about it and possible impacts to cruises (we hope not!)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/305-hurricane-zone/

Those of us who live in Florida don't like to discuss Hurricanes.  Some along the Gulf coast are still trying to recover from Michael.  This is an extremely unpleasant topic.

5 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

We've got some tropical weather developing for the gulf this week.  Join us over on the Hurricane Zone to talk about it and possible impacts to cruises (we hope not!)

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/305-hurricane-zone/

Sorry you don't wish to talk. But let me explain.  It's an outlet for many who will be worried about their travel.  And one thing we strive to do is take the TV hype out of the reporting and look objectively at the forecasts.  Often we see awful reporting like 'taking aim at New Orleans" when in fact the forecast path is hundreds of miles different.  That is a disservice to people with concerns about both New Orleans and the actual area under risk.   Also trying to get people to come talk there instead of in the cruise line threads so we can cover the topic in one place.

11 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

Those of us who live in Florida don't like to discuss Hurricanes.  Some along the Gulf coast are still trying to recover from Michael.  This is an extremely unpleasant topic.

Please speak for yourself, if you dont want this info don't read this thread.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Sorry you don't wish to talk. But let me explain.  It's an outlet for many who will be worried about their travel.  And one thing we strive to do is take the TV hype out of the reporting and look objectively at the forecasts.  Often we see awful reporting like 'taking aim at New Orleans" when in fact the forecast path is hundreds of miles different.  That is a disservice to people with concerns about both New Orleans and the actual area under risk.   Also trying to get people to come talk there instead of in the cruise line threads so we can cover the topic in one place.

You live in New York.  Have you lived thru Hurricanes?  I have.  Most of us who live along the Gulf coast know that Hurricanes are Mother Nature at her worst.  They will speed up, turn around, slow down, whatever.  We worry about our lives and our property not travel.  TV hype is not necessarily what you think it is.  We need to know whether to board up and flee or hunker down and in general get prepared.  Travel, unless it is to evacuate is the furtherest thing from our minds.  Glad you enjoy discussing.

Edited by Snit13
typo

Snit, please just move on. There is informative discussion on that board related to planning travel around weather since most cruises still continue regardless of people’s travel to port.

And in case you are wondering, I lived in Houston for 25 years and experienced 2 major hurricanes in that time along with several smaller systems with massive flooding.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, soonernstlouis said:

Snit, please just move on. There is informative discussion on that board related to planning travel around weather since most cruises still continue regardless of people’s travel to port.

And in case you are wondering, I lived in Houston for 25 years and experienced 2 major hurricanes in that time along with several smaller systems with massive flooding.

I'm with you 100%.  I lived in Houston for almost 20 years and now Charleston for the last 4 years and am very aware of the power of storms.  If Snit it sensitive they should just move on.  Just because someone lives in NY doesn't mean squat, they could have been born and raised in the "hurricane zone" down here and moved up north. (heck, they could even be snow birds) who knows.

Lived on or near a coast for almost 20 years.  No fear of hurricanes but sure as heck do respect them.  The trick to dealing with hurricanes is knowing they are coming and making educated decisions how to plan and react. 

For the cruise industry it's also important to understand cruise line policies and how they will alter itineraries to avoid hurricanes.  Time and again we see posts from ill informed guests who had their heart set on a particular port of call complaining about an alternate itinerary due to a hurricane.  With Florida being the largest cruise market in the world and Texas the second you can't talk about summer cruising without considering hurricanes.

This is a travel website.  The whole purpose of the entire site is cruise travel.  Hurricanes are very relevant to the cruise industry so rather than hundreds of threads about hurricanes as we go through another season a consolidated thread is a great idea.

• Like 1

Personally I think it's a great idea, and I will be joining. I sailed on MSC Divina thru Hurricane Irma and I would love to share our experiences as well as read about others. Mother nature will always be the winner, and she must be respected at all times

Safe sailing