Disembark Question

RCCruiser71

We are cruising out of Port Liberty (Canada New England cruise) on Adventure of the Seas.  I am going to use a car service to get from the port to Newark Airport.  Our ship docks at 7:00 am.  Generally speaking, how much time should I allow to get off the ship?  I have to give the car service a pick up time, and I don’t want them waiting for us, and I don’t want to be waiting around the port forever either.  I was thinking 8:30 or maybe 9:00, but I didn’t know either how long after docking passengers can come off the ship, how long it takes to get luggage etc.

Thank you so much for your insight!

8:30 or 9am sounds fine to me.  You will need to be out of the cabin by 8-8:30....so there's no sense in delaying too much!

You can request the time you'd like, so that by the time you get to your luggage, it's there, waiting for you.   About midway thru the cruise, they ask those with early flights to let them know, so they can get in one of the 1st groups off.

If you want to carry off your own bags, you can do that, too...and many who would like to be off by 7:30 or so with choose that option.  You will need to be able to handle ALL of your bags alone.

Our experiences at Port Liberty have been very efficient with disembarking and luggage retrieval.  We typically are off the ship, through customs, with our luggage, and to our car within about 20 minutes of leaving the ship.  We typically have an early breakfast and are out of our stateroom by 8:00 - 8:30 to leave the ship. We also always have the ship staff handle our luggage and it has always been waiting for us when we disembark.  If you were to do the same you would be safe to have your car service plan on 8:30 - 9:00 accordingly.  

Edited by leaveitallbehind

1 hour ago, paul929207 said:

You should ask in the section that covers your cruise line.

....which, to provide the necessary information if desired, would be the RCI board at this link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/51-royal-caribbean-international/

But the information already provided should answer the question.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I'll take a slightly different line.

You need to be guided by your flight-time. 

You can be one of the first off the ship if you elect for "unassisted disembarkation". That means schlepping your own checked luggage from the cabin, rather than leaving it outside your cabin on the last night & collecting it from the cruise terminal.

Or you can elect for the sort of times suggested by others.

Yes, you'll have to vacate your cabin about 8 - 8.30, but if your flight time is late, it seems a bit pointless to rush to the airport and hang around there for hours if you don't have access to a VIP lounge.

In those circumstances I'd book a car for 9.30 or even 10am., and enjoy a tolerably lazy buffet breakfast while the herd rushes for the gangway.

Depending on your flight time, I'd suggest even later - but you're likely to be "thrown off the ship" :classic_wink: after that because they'll want to be making ready for new arrivals.

I don't know the traffic conditions thereabouts, but if it's like most US cities you'll be stuck in commuter traffic if you head for the airport much before 9am.

Just MHO as always

JB :classic_smile:

1 hour ago, John Bull said:

I'll take a slightly different line.

You need to be guided by your flight-time. 

You can be one of the first off the ship if you elect for "unassisted disembarkation". That means schlepping your own checked luggage from the cabin, rather than leaving it outside your cabin on the last night & collecting it from the cruise terminal.

Or you can elect for the sort of times suggested by others.

Yes, you'll have to vacate your cabin about 8 - 8.30, but if your flight time is late, it seems a bit pointless to rush to the airport and hang around there for hours if you don't have access to a VIP lounge.

In those circumstances I'd book a car for 9.30 or even 10am., and enjoy a tolerably lazy buffet breakfast while the herd rushes for the gangway.

Depending on your flight time, I'd suggest even later - but you're likely to be "thrown off the ship" :classic_wink: after that because they'll want to be making ready for new arrivals.

I don't know the traffic conditions thereabouts, but if it's like most US cities you'll be stuck in commuter traffic if you head for the airport much before 9am.

Just MHO as always

JB :classic_smile:

Regardless of flight time, the OP will have to be off the ship by 10:00 to allow the ship to be cleared with customs prior to boarding the next itinerary's passengers, which typically begins at 11:00.  So the likely latest to plan for the car to arrive would be about 10:30. 

I realize this is a risky word, but I am assuming that with the time suggested by the OP of 8:30 or 9:00 for the car service they have a flight coordinated with that time.   But regardless, they will have to be off the ship by 10:00 latest.