Hearing San Juan is a mess

As families get back in the ship they are saying there u.s broken glass everywhere. Many of the buildings are spray painted.  Cops are everywhere so people said that was good but everything is basically shut down so they got back on the ship.  My husband and boys are still on their atv excursion.  Word from cops is the riots will start up at 1pm. Everyone is suppose to be in the ship by 1:30pm.

For ships whose cruises start and end in San Juan this is going to be a real problem.

I imagine if it is just a port of call, it will be skipped in favor of another port or a sea day. I believe I read Royal Caribbean is already skipping San Juan.

1 hour ago, mommyof2monkeys+princess said:

As families get back in the ship they are saying there u.s broken glass everywhere. Many of the buildings are spray painted.  Cops are everywhere so people said that was good but everything is basically shut down so they got back on the ship.  My husband and boys are still on their atv excursion.  Word from cops is the riots will start up at 1pm. Everyone is suppose to be in the ship by 1:30pm.

I just saw the report from the protests from last night (the 17th). What started off as controlled quickly turned into a spray paint, tear gas, molatov cocktail throwing mess that did not settle down until 3am. Please be careful out there.

I will be interested to hear from cruisers who embark/disembark from the Pan American pier, which is not near the Old Town area where the protests are being staged.   From what I am seeing on TV coverage it is very focused protests.   Since we have until November to have this resolved I am not concerned.   We are staying closer to the airport when we arrive and will taxi directly to the pier.

I'm on RC cruise leaving from San Juan but haven't heard anything about embarkation port changes yet. We'll need to make flight arrangements, hotel, etc. if we're going from a different port. Hoping this quiets soon. 

I do applaud the cruise lines for skipping the port to protect guests and staff. 

1 hour ago, linerode said:

I'm on RC cruise leaving from San Juan but haven't heard anything about embarkation port changes yet. We'll need to make flight arrangements, hotel, etc. if we're going from a different port. Hoping this quiets soon. 

I do applaud the cruise lines for skipping the port to protect guests and staff. 

Please read my response to your post on the other thread. Your cruise doesn't leave from the area where the demonstrations have been held...and you're not cruising for several months I believe.

• 1 month later...

Any update on the state of San Juan following the protests/riots? We are sailing out on Freedom on Sunday. I'm not concerned about safety at all, as it appears all has died down, but is there any residual damage or vandalism? Any particular areas we should stay away from?

We're flying in Saturday and staying at a Condado Beach hotel, so we're closer to the airport and PanAm cruise terminal.

• Thanks 1

I've been to Old San Juan since the protests fizzled and I can say that everything's up and running and in fact looks more spruced up than before the protests.  As around any government executive headquarters, there will always be some sort of protest around or near it, but you shouldn't be concerned.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1