Internet

Jgrossman

I would chose SB 100% of the time because the internet  is a nonissue issue for us. As a once famous American might say: “this is a nothing burger”. Besides what’s our choices? Viking? Yuck. 

But it that’s just me. This is a fun discussion.  It won’t come up again for 30 days. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, raphael360 said:

I would chose SB 100% of the time because the internet  is a nonissue issue for us. As a once famous American might say: “this is a nothing burger”. Besides what’s our choices? Viking? Yuck. 

But it that’s just me. This is a fun discussion.  It won’t come up again for 30 days. 

I've spent some time lurking over on the Crystal board, particularly reading 'Live from' threads and there don't seem to be any complaints about the included Internet capability on their ships. The other thing Seabourn ought to consider is each successive generation that reaches SB age is going to have greater connectivity expectations.

5 hours ago, Robisan said:

I've spent some time lurking over on the Crystal board, particularly reading 'Live from' threads and there don't seem to be any complaints about the included Internet capability on their ships. The other thing Seabourn ought to consider is each successive generation that reaches SB age is going to have greater connectivity expectations.

Crystal has a loyal following. Not complaining about getting something free isn’t too surprising. 

2 hours ago, raphael360 said:

Crystal has a loyal following. Not complaining about getting something free isn’t too surprising. 

I was talking to a Crystal fan last year on a Seabourn cruise who was complaining about having to pay for the internet on Seabourn where its "free" on Crystal. He managed to get the Referral US$400 OBC, he also invited two of his friends on to Seabourn for dinner for free where he was saying that on Crystal he would have had to pay extra for his friends, also I believe he said that on Crystal that some restaurants for extra nights one would have to pay where there is no charge on Seabourn

To me the price of the internet charge on Seabourn breaks even with having not to pay for other things which would cost on Crystal. To me it evens out. I haven't sailed on Crystal so I am saying only what I was told

On 7/23/2019 at 10:22 PM, Jgrossman said:

I am tired of the archaic internet package system. I just returned from a Viking Sea cruise. One of the reasons they are ranked higher than Seabourn is the don’t nickel and dime you for internet fees.

I always thought the 'spirit' of the cruisecritic forums was to give cruisers an opportunity to gain information and get help and advice from their fellow cruisers.  I'm of the opinion that Inflammatory statements like Mr. Jgrossman's is unproductive and ultimately hurts the spirit of the cruise forums.  Are we here to argue with each other or are we here to help each other?

• Like 1

My guess is that the Venture and sister ship will have SOTA internet access for those who want it. Given the expeditionary nature planned, I am sure that SB will want the “expeditioners” to share their adventures and places with as many people as feasible - it should be built into their marketing strategy. In addition, with only 260 “expeditioners” onboard, they shouldn’t have bandwidth issues, as opposed to the larger sisters. Personally, I am looking forward to my booked Venture cruise, but something tells me that I will not be spending much time perusing the internet onboard. Jdk

17 hours ago, Robisan said:

I have to agree with you about the internet being included. We are on the Quest Montreal to Montreal in September and have quite a few minutes included, but on Crystal the first leg of the world cruise in January, and the price is about the same, internet is included. Today people want and need access and I think Seabourn should step up and include it like the other luxury lines. 

My husband just reminded me of something else the SB VP for Exploration said in the presentation aboard Sojourn in June 2019.  He said (and I am paraphrasing) that in about 2 years internet service will greatly improve on all ships.  He said that there will be specific service geared toward ship service--perhaps a new satellite?  This is all from my husband's recollection of what was said.  

3 hours ago, SLSD said:

My husband just reminded me of something else the SB VP for Exploration said in the presentation aboard Sojourn in June 2019.  He said (and I am paraphrasing) that in about 2 years internet service will greatly improve on all ships.  He said that there will be specific service geared toward ship service--perhaps a new satellite?  This is all from my husband's recollection of what was said.  

That is good to hear and much needed. 

We have always had "free" unlimited internet on Seabourn with the 6 or 7 cruises we have done

We just use the US$400 OBC Referral Coupon credit , which we consider "free money" of which one can get from a first time cruiser on Seabourn

What I don't get is that if one was to pay for the internet as a extra on board or if Seabourn lift the price of the cruise to cover the internet price is there a difference?
As it is now people have a choice if one wants the internet they can pay the extra and have a cheaper cruise price. What is free?

Edited by Thecat123

5 hours ago, SLSD said:

But, he made no mention of internet service being included in the SB cruise fare.  

Yes, I just factor it into the cruise fare. That said, the limitation of one device at a time per paid access is annoying, so the overall convenience of included Internet for all wins out if the adjusted pricing is comparable. However, overarching all of that is paying extra for very low bandwidth, limited utility, dodgy Internet. IMO the overall SB Internet offering is falling behind its competitors and the expectations of next generation, well-heeled travelers heading into the 2020s.

Bottom line is I'll pay extra (factor into cruise fare) for Internet but it needs to be reliable*, usable quality for a reasonable number of devices per suite.

* Good wifi connectivity throughout the ship, but also understanding that satellite Internet can be problematic in some sea locations.

On 7/25/2019 at 4:22 PM, Robisan said:

I've spent some time lurking over on the Crystal board, particularly reading 'Live from' threads and there don't seem to be any complaints about the included Internet capability on their ships.

Kind of beating a dead horse here but regarding what's really "free": Our upcoming SB 12 day Montreal to Miami cruse this year costs us approx. $7200 total (not including port charges).  Crystal's price for their 13 day Quebec City to Miami is approx. $12,000 total (not including port charges) - see attached website screen grab. 

I tried many times in the past to book a Crystal cruise but could never get past their high pricing.  I'm sure the Crystal devotees will explain the errors of my ways, but seriously?

1852147296_ScreenShot2019-07-27at9_33_07AM.png.49f3362c05eb5213fe7056086d693de8.png

3 hours ago, raphael360 said:

Kind of beating a dead horse here but regarding what's really "free"...

Just to be clear because several people have rebutted my quote with pricing, my Crystal comment was about the quality and "capability" of their Internet, not about it being included in the price.