Live, Terry/Ohio, Silver Muse: Alaska, Canada/Rockies, Pix’s

TLCOhio

18 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

No extension to Denali this time, enjoyed our stay at Hotel Captain Cook booked through SS last night & walking around Anchorage yesterday afternoon.  Disembarked smoothly, all transfers were prompt & courteous.  Silversea handled all details flawlessly, including airport this morning. It's going to be a long night though, first stop Denver.

Great added details and updating from our Richmond friend. Yes, it is a long, tiring series of flights to get back from Anchorage.  Are you back in Virginia, yet?  Rested and unpacked??   Glad that ALL was smooth and well-organized by Silversea.  

From this California TV stations last month, they had this headline: “Travel Through The Canadian Rockies In A Glass-domed Train” with these highlights: You don’t have to be outside to enjoy a full view of Canada’s amazing mountain ranges.  Instead, why not take a train trip? It can be a great way to see the countryside while getting from place to place.  Sitting in luxury seats, riders aboard Rocky Mountaineer’s GoldLeaf Service  sit under the train’s glass dome to get breathtaking views. The service includes gourmet meals, wine and cheese, snacks and complimentary beverages, including alcohol.

Full story at:

https://www.turnto23.com/see-the-canadian-rockies-in-a-glass-domed-train/

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 248,684 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Evening Standard, a week ago they had this headline: “Hotel of the Week: Fairmont Vancouver” with these highlights about: “one of Canada’s best-loved grand hotels and one of Vancouver’s most iconic buildings.  It celebrates its 80th birthday this year. Officially opened by King George VI and Queen Elizabeth in May 1939 it was built by Canadian Pacific Railway to encourage travellers on to Canada’s new train service and comes with a top grade reputation for luxury and service.  Over eight decades it has seen a majestic roll call of guests from Roy Rogers and his horse Trigger in the 1940s to our current Queen and Princess Anne in 1970 and including celebrities such as Zsa Zsa Gabor and Diana Ross. The hotel’s most recent brush with fame was providing a backdrop for the film 'Fifty Shades of Grey' including the infamous elevator scene.”

While we did not stay at this hotel, it might be a good option to consider.  Here are some more highlights: "Newly fresh from a five-year, $75 (£46) million refurbishment, Fairmont Vancouver is the oldest of Vancouver’s four Fairmont Hotels and has 557 rooms and suites.  The location in the heart of Downtown Vancouver facing Hornby Street and Burrard is on-point, ideal for business and leisure. The high towers of Yaletown, the tourist hotspots of the Pacific Waterfront or GasTown and the outdoor splendour of Stanley Park are all within a fifteen minute stroll while the city’s main shops and restaurants lie directly outside the door. Fairmont Vancouver is known as the city’s “Castle in the Sky’ for its romantic tiered wedding cake shape complete with carved gargoyles and all topped off with a fairy tale-style steeply pitched green copper roof."

Full story at:

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/travel/fairmont-vancouver-hotel-review-a4230861.html

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 224,775 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

Yes back in Richmond as of this morning, thanks Terry.  Tried but could not see Stumblefoot waving from mountains but felt happy to be waved to all the same.  Mostly unpacked and partially rested up. 

Having our cruise booked in December on the Shadow helping me deal with returning to normal life without the Muse, and the great people we met on board.  Going to make a comfort casserole for dinner tonight...

• Like 1

Going over our photos, I realize I'm no photographer.  Terry, @jpalbny @Daveywavey70 & others have posted such fantastic photos.  But here we go, with 2 photos from Vancouver's University of British Columbia's Museum of Anthropology (excursion offered due to extra day in Vancouver) and a photo of whales (mother and baby) blowing their spray into the cool clean air near Juneau - an exciting prelude to their surfacing, which was simply amazing.  If these photos are not uploaded properly, or I've done something else wrong here, please let me know!

1216283254_totemUBC.thumb.JPG.1fc9315dd85269d3cabfb681c8eba108.JPG

Karen UBC.JPG

whale sprays.JPG

• Like 1

12 hours ago, QueSeraSera said:

Going over our photos, I realize I'm no photographer.  Terry, @jpalbny @Daveywavey70 & others have posted such fantastic photos.  But here we go, with 2 photos from Vancouver's University of British Columbia's Museum of Anthropology (excursion offered due to extra day in Vancouver) and a photo of whales (mother and baby) blowing their spray into the cool clean air near Juneau - an exciting prelude to their surfacing, which was simply amazing.  If these photos are not uploaded properly, or I've done something else wrong here, please let me know!

YES!!  Agree with J.P. and appreciate this added posting and the fun pictures.  Keep it coming.  Adding the line between the visuals does help.  Look forward to seeing more, including any pictures from on the Silver Muse.  Great point as to "helping me deal with returning to normal life without the Muse, and the great people we met on board."

From late 2018, you can see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 15,710 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Telegraph earlier this summer, I noticed today that they had this headline: “Striking it rich – an expert guide to Skagway, Alaska's most famous goldrush town” with these highlights: “Skagway’s historic buildings can easily be seen on foot.  Start your exploration of Skagway’s old buildings with a visit to the Klondike Gold Rush National Historic Park visitor centre, close to the cruise terminals at Broadway and 2nd Avenue. Be sure to see Jeff “Soapy” Smith’s Parlor, the Red Onion Saloon, the Arctic Brotherhoood Hall, Mascot Saloon and Moore House.  Most of Skagway’s eating and drinking options are ranged along Broadway. The historic Red Onion Saloon, a former brothel, is touristy, but fun, while beer-lovers will enjoy the Skagway Brewing Company, a local brewpub which also serves well-prepared soups, burgers, fish and seafood.”

Yes, we enjoyed Skagway, their historic wooden buildings, the Brothel Tour, etc. Fun, interesting, scenic and historic location and area.  

Full story at:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/port-guides/skagway-cruise-port-guide/

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 248,684 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

9 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Look forward to seeing more, including any pictures from on the Silver Muse.

Happy to oblige!  All pictures below were taken by my wife Karen.  I am going to try to apply the advice of the good folks above in posting.

First, a sail away picture with La Terrazza (many good meals, including frequent breakfasts, here during the cruise) with beautiful Vancouver in the background. 

1540625961_LaTerandVancouver2.thumb.jpg.a0673004eb9ab3f0d9c52e912cf50fb1.jpg

Then a different kind of selfie, a picture of us reflected in an elevator on board.  Kind of fun, clothes already shrinking a bit due to sea salt air as explained earlier in this thread 😀

1108395797_AKMuseElevator.thumb.jpg.450f137724cdc1fb32b0f60593dea4ec.jpg

We were fortunate it was sunny when we sailed by Hubbard, which promoted the blue color of the glacier.  This shows part of our balcony, which we enjoyed.

1793519672_AKMuseBlcnyHubbard.thumb.jpg.848b008c8433f8c43675329db3464ed3.jpg

The pool and jogging track against beautiful AK background.  We got some steps walking using this track, very pleasant.

2082252730_AKpoolandjog.thumb.jpg.95f28c6dc6010979bfcd406572521ee4.jpg

• Like 3

On 9/16/2019 at 7:39 PM, QueSeraSera said:

Happy to oblige!  All pictures below were taken by my wife Karen.  I am going to try to apply the advice of the good folks above in posting.

First, a sail away picture with La Terrazza (many good meals, including frequent breakfasts, here during the cruise) with beautiful Vancouver in the background. 

Then a different kind of selfie, a picture of us reflected in an elevator on board.  Kind of fun, clothes already shrinking a bit due to sea salt air as explained earlier in this thread We were fortunate it was sunny when we sailed by Hubbard, which promoted the blue color of the glacier.  This shows part of our balcony, which we enjoyed.

The pool and jogging track against beautiful AK background.  We got some steps walking using this track, very pleasant.

Appreciate this nice sharing and these follow-up visuals.  Keep 'em coming!!  Like the creativity and interesting angles with these various pictures.  Nice ways to tie in BOTH the Silver Muse and the dramatic settings of Alaska, Vancouver, etc.  

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Wonderful scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 237,532 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• Like 1

On 9/7/2019 at 1:25 PM, worldtraveller99 said:

Wow Terry you went to Botswana. Is there one of your ace blogs for that somewhere? It is my bucket list destination. 

For SE Asia I found an inbound travel agent for Borneo (on Trip Advisor), and booked nice chain hotels - Fairmont, Shangri-La, and BA & Malaysian Airlines flights myself on all their websites. Worked really well - I think the trip report is on Trip Advisor.

On 9/12/2019 at 7:59 PM, TLCOhio said:

Great news that Hubbard Glacier worked so well for our Richmond, Va., friend.  Keep up the wonderful updating and details. Are you doing the post-cruise trip to Denali.   Nice, added "FUN!!" from worldtraveller99 and Stumblefoot about the sea air, shrinking clothes, etc.  

Above for Paula in Arizona, appreciate your good questions.  In Dubai, we stayed the Habtoor Grand Resort, a part of the Autograph Collection connected with Marriott, at Al Falea Street, Jumeirah Beach, Dubai.  As to your question as to whether it is in "a GOOD LOCATION for sightseeing", that response would mandate a fairly subjective judgement.  Dubai is big and sprawled out!!  There is not one location in Dubai that has it "ALL", close and handy.  

Our hotel and location worked very, very well in many ways.  It offered a number of nice facilities and options, including its own beach and resort areas.  Sights around here were interesting as some of my pictures on the live/blog documented. BUT, it was not right next to a giant shopping mall, nor at the old market areas, nor at the world's tallest building.  BUT, it was relatively handy and worked super well for our interests and needs.  With our private guide and those tours, it all worked well and reasonably handy.  

For our private guide for Dubai and Abu Dhabi, we worked with Ute Kostle at  www.konzept-arabia.com/en.  She was super good, very knowledgeable, excellent English, etc., etc., etc.  Loved having "conversations" with her and learning so much about this area, its people, rulers, growth, etc.   Her email is:  ute@konzept-arabia.com

If you need more, just post any and all added questions on the live/blog for that trip last fall.     

From late 2018, you can see “Holy Lands, Egypt, Jordan, Oman, Dubai, Greece, etc.”, with many visuals, details and ideas for the historic and scenic Middle East. Now at 15,561 views.  Connect at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2607054-livenautica-greece-holy-lands-egypt-dubai-terrypix’s/

I quite agreed with you. A commission will be paid to someone so you might as well pick someone that you can turn to at a moment’s notice and receive the help you need. I will never forget our first booking direct with Regent. A very nice lady answered the phone, answered all my questions over the next few days and made the reservation.  However, after the reservation was complete, she was hard to get a hold of. Seemed very busy all the time. Now I bring my research to a local TA and let her make the reservations, and be our spokesperson to make sure everything is setup for a pleasant vacation. 

P.S. Not all TA’s are the same so do a little bit of homework and find one that will “work for you” more than make one phone call to the Cruise line reservation desk. 

On 9/25/2019 at 10:11 AM, Macirish said:

I quite agreed with you. A commission will be paid to someone so you might as well pick someone that you can turn to at a moment’s notice and receive the help you need. I will never forget our first booking direct with Regent. A very nice lady answered the phone, answered all my questions over the next few days and made the reservation.  However, after the reservation was complete, she was hard to get a hold of. Seemed very busy all the time. Now I bring my research to a local TA and let her make the reservations, and be our spokesperson to make sure everything is setup for a pleasant vacation. 

P.S. Not all TA’s are the same so do a little bit of homework and find one that will “work for you” more than make one phone call to the Cruise line reservation desk

Appreciate these above additional great comments and this follow-up from our CC friend in South Carolina regarding the values and needs for "good" travel agents.  Like with most professionals and experts, there is wide range of skills and experiences.  Pick wisely to fit your personal needs, expectations and interests. Do not assume all are equally skilled and perfectly knowledgeable.  Like with a medical doctor, ask questions and be picky in making that choice. 

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 225,008 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Telegraph late last month, they had this headline: “What it really takes to join 'the most iconic police force in the world' ”.  This profile is all about Canada's famed Royal Mounties.  Many interesting facts and details tie into what we learned during our recent exploring of Western Canada. 

Here are some of the story highlights as this author explained his travel: “halfway through a road trip across the Canadian prairies, following the trail of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police as they prepare to celebrate their centenary next year. Slickly edited, with a dashing soundtrack, Courage in Red is played to all 'Depot' tourists visiting the RCMP Academy and reveals the legendarily tough training all cadets must undergo, showing that Mounties always get their man.”

Here is more of that historic background in the development of Western Canada: "The legend began in 1873 when the Canadian government – alarmed at the lawlessness of whiskey, bison and wolf traders and their corrupting influence on indigenous tribes across the newly acquired Northwest Territories – formed the North West Mounted Police.  Shortly afterwards, traders brutally slaughtered more than 20 members of the Assiniboine First Nation in the Cypress Hills Massacre. This spurred the need to establish order and in 1875, the Mounties were ordered to march 900 miles (1,448km) west across the prairies from Manitoba, enduring illness and hardship, finally stopping where the Bow and Elbow rivers meet – the heart of modern-day Calgary."

Full story at:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/north-america/canada/articles/canadian-mounties-tour-saskatchewan/

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!  Is one of your future desires or past favorites? See these many visual samples for its great history and architecture.  This posting is now at 85,406 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Terry, you know I booked Muse for next month so I had to go back and look at all your fabulous photos😃....I am on a totally different itinerary but I really wanted to see the ship photos.......she looks beautiful and after sailing Moon it will be fun to see the difference and similarities.

Thanks again for sharing your adventures with us.

22 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Terry, you know I booked Muse for next month so I had to go back and look at all your fabulous photos😃....I am on a totally different itinerary but I really wanted to see the ship photos.......she looks beautiful and after sailing Moon it will be fun to see the difference and similarities.  Thanks again for sharing your adventures with us.

Appreciate Lois' great comments and kind follow-up.  Good luck with your upcoming Alaska sailing from Seattle on the lovely Silver Muse.  Nice that you are experienced from past Alaska sailings in certain of these scenic ports. Juneau?  See below!  

From former USA Today travel guru Gene Sloan and MSN News yesterday, they had this headline: “Why visiting Alaska’s busiest cruise port, Juneau, is a bit surreal right now with these highlights: “The whale-watching tours were running. So were the helicopter rides to the Juneau Glacier. And the shops along South Franklin Street were, for the most part, open.   For tourists arriving in Juneau, Alaska, on Friday on the first big cruise ship to sail to Alaska in nearly two years, it was pretty much business as usual when it came to the array of options available for touring, shopping and entertainment.  There was just one big difference: There was a rarely seen, almost blissful lack of crowds.  As I saw first-hand Friday after arriving in Juneau on that first vessel back — Royal Caribbean‘s Serenade of the Seas — the most-visited of Alaskan cruise ports has the wide-open feel of a seasonal tourist town in the weeks before its high season begins. Never mind that July normally is the highest of the high season for Juneau. And it’s expected to stay this way for the rest of the summer. If this was a typical July, Juneau would be packed with as many as 14,000 cruisers a day streaming off as many as five or even six large cruise ships.”

Is this a "Good News/Bad News" story with the lack of crowds?  Here is more from his reporting in Juneau: "Liz Perry, the CEO of the town’s tourism office, Travel Juneau, noted on Friday morning, Juneau is expecting at most about 3,500 to 5,000 cruisers from a maximum of two ships on any single day in the coming months.  Keeping tourist numbers down in Juneau this summer will be the fact that some cruise lines only are operating ships right now at partial capacity.  Serenade of the Seas, for instance, can carry up to 2,476 passengers with every berth filled. But this week, it’s only sailing with 632 passengers."

In 2019, our super-star highlight in Juneau was doing the Wings Airways flight on a historic De Havilland Otter plane out over five glaciers, going to Taku Glacier Lodge, etc., etc.  Awesome experience!!  BUT, this option is not available this summer.  Why?  Knowing the owner who is original from here in Central Ohio, she told me it was a simple as "Economics 101".  To pay their huge annual insurance cost for all of the aircraft in their fleet could not be recovered financially during operations during such a limited season with only a much smaller number of customers.  In Juneau and at other Alaska ports, many options will still be available.  BUT, others options, will not be operating during this more limited and challenged period.  Good, but, if and if??!!

Full story at:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tripideas/why-visiting-alaska-e2-80-99s-busiest-cruise-port-juneau-is-a-bit-surreal-right-now/ar-AAMwi0W?ocid=BingNewsSearch

Amazon River-Caribbean 2015 adventure live/blog starting in Barbados. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, San Juan, etc.).  Now at 68,619 views:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

• Like 1