MDR lunch on embarkation day....?

Qcruise

We're taking the Kotingsdam in April 2020 for a test run repositioning cruise from San Diego to Vancouver.  Having never sailed on HAL,  we know and love Princess doing lunch in the MDR on embarkation day to avoid the madness of the buffet.....does HAL do a similar thing.....?   Not sure what our options are once on board besides the lido buffet.  Thank you for any info.....

Oh, and one other question.....we booked a guarantee obstructed balcony cabin and as I look at the deck plans for this ship,  it looks like all balcony cabins on a certain deck are at the level of the tender boats thus obstructing the views......would this be the entire deck our cabin would likely be .....?   

13 minutes ago, Qcruise said:

We're taking the Kotingsdam in April 2020 for a test run repositioning cruise from San Diego to Vancouver.  Having never sailed on HAL,  we know and love Princess doing lunch in the MDR on embarkation day to avoid the madness of the buffet.....does HAL do a similar thing.....?   Not sure what our options are once on board besides the lido buffet.  Thank you for any info.....

Oh, and one other question.....we booked a guarantee obstructed balcony cabin and as I look at the deck plans for this ship,  it looks like all balcony cabins on a certain deck are at the level of the tender boats thus obstructing the views......would this be the entire deck our cabin would likely be .....?   

Here's a recent thread on the MDR embarkation day lunch topic 

What tier is the GUAR on? VF? V? The deck 5 V-category midship verandahs would be just above the row of lifeboats so some view interfered with there, but the bow-located deck 4 (VF) that have the solid steel railings rather than the clear plexiglass are likely what they mean by obstructed.

40 minutes ago, Qcruise said:

does HAL do a similar thing

Yes - but nobody will tell you. Show up at the MDR during (what will likely be abbreviated lunch hours) and enjoy your lunch. We did (on Koningsdam) in Amsterdam last summer. You'll also likely run into the whole: "...what about the boarding time printed on my..." which (to date) hasn't been enforced. 

48 minutes ago, Qcruise said:

As I look at our booking it shows  "VH"......

Look at pictures HERE for cabins 4045/46/52/61/63 and 4145. The VH aft of center (i.e. 4120 and higher) are next to tenders which are taller than the lifeboats which are forward of center (i.e. 4107 and lower)

Edited by catl331

6 hours ago, Qcruise said:

The NY Deli & Pizza, overlooking the indoor pool will be open for lunch on the Konigsdam.  No charge to design your own pizza or enjoy a yummy deli sandwich. 

The Dive In is open for burgers and fries.

Here is the Pizza menu:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/NY-Deli-Pizza.pdf

31 minutes ago, Crew News said:

plans

And on the KDam there is the DutchCafe’ which is one of our favorites—a charming space with some lunch and dessert items. My husband loves the pea soup and the Koningsbol is decadent!

4 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

We always try to eat in the main dining room for lunch in Embarkation day -- Noon to 1 or 1:30.  Sometimes they close it down early.

Once in a great while it will be closed because of special event going on -- like TA's viewing the ship and having a special lunch.

This has happened to me several times, most recently on the Maasdam in June.