Huge difference in flight prices

wyobean

We need to book a one way flight from Amsterdam to our home airport at the end of our cruise in Apr/May. I have been watching and the price has stayed around $2900-$3000 pp. I decided to call my BB TA and see what they could do. With one way fares they have to go thru HAL. Their price was $414 pp. Today that exact same trip is $2640 when I look at the airline site. On Kayak it is $2959. Definitely pays to check. We are locked in at that price but, cannot pick our seats or upgrade until we pay for it. We can wait till final payment or we can pay for the airline tickets only and be able to manage that part of our reservation. Just sang this on for information!

The flight portion of HAL buys bulk fares and once they have them they can split them into one ways.  That's why you are getting a deal  Are you flying AMS-SLC-<wyoming>?  Did you get the nonstop AMS-SLC on Delta or KLM?  Or are you making a stop so you end up with 2 connections if you go onward from SLC hoe.  Are you sure you couldn't select a seat because you hadn't paid yet or is it because you were sold a Basic Economy ticket where you don't get a seat until you get to the airport (hello middle seat).  Curious about it, 

We are on Delta AMS-MSP-RAP. Nice schedule. I did go in and look. We have assigned seats. They will work but, we want to upgrade on the 9 hour flight. That we can’t do till paid.(I am guessing since they are all showing unavailable on an April flight) So, we will pay for the flight portion in the next month or so. We normally fly UAL but, their’s was a 2 stop flight. We used flight-eased one other time and it cut the fare in about half...the price difference on this flight was a huge surprise!

4 hours ago, wyobean said:

We are on Delta AMS-MSP-RAP. Nice schedule. I did go in and look. We have assigned seats. They will work but, we want to upgrade on the 9 hour flight. That we can’t do till paid.(I am guessing since they are all showing unavailable on an April flight) So, we will pay for the flight portion in the next month or so. We normally fly UAL but, their’s was a 2 stop flight. We used flight-eased one other time and it cut the fare in about half...the price difference on this flight was a huge surprise!

With your home base of Wyoming, I was thinking, as I always do, of the Western side (Evanston, Jackson, Rock Springs), why I thought SLC as the connection point.  At least it's good that there is a nonstop from MSP-RAP to make the trip one less connection.  

The airlines assume that if you are buying a one-way international ticket, then you are a business traveler whose company is paying the fare.  So the fares are through the roof.   HAL has contractual agreements with many airlines and they get very attractive one-way fares that you could never get booking by yourself.  And you have the added benefit of not having to pay for the ticket until final cruise payment, usually 75 to 90 days out.   

Domestic round trip fares are about the same as you can get on your own.

Flightease (and its counterpart at Princess and Seabourn) can be a terrific option....which even gets better for those doing Premium Economy, Business Class or even First Class.  The savings can be dramatic on International (especially one-way) and should always be checked.  But there are some "strategies."  Once you become eligible (330 days prior to the END of your cruise) immediately check all the options (this can be done online through your own cruise management site).  Once you see a Flex Air deal you should immediately book it since you will not have to make any payment until final payment (and it will not be ticketed until about 45 days prior to your departure).  If you later find a better deal on your own or through Flightease you can simply make a change with no financial penalty (until 45 days prior to departure).  Contrary to some posts here on CC, once you book the Flexair deal your price will not increase (unless there is a change in taxes).  If the price goes down you can simply change your booking to take advantage of a new price.  But the reality is that the early prices are usually going to be the best since there are contractual limitations on the number of reduced priced reservations.

Hank