SA & Around Cape Horn vs SA & Chilean Fjords

Vineyard View

1 hour ago, deec said:

We are looking forward to that cruise.  Starting to think about our time in England before.  I have not been to Oxford so may go in that direction for a few days.  Or to Wales???

We spent a day in Oxford last fall - it was quite impressive, and easy to walk around.  Took a good walking tour to hit the highlights as well.  We are flying in a week early before the Midnight Sun cruise and staying in an Airbnb in London and taking day trips from there.

Hard to believe the South America trip is only about 4 months away!  Excursions and dinner reservations should be coming up somewhat soon!

35 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Peregrina651.  That's what I was thinking.  That way people don't have to wade through all our meet & mingle, air travel, hi I joined this cruise stuff.

That and people don't tend to go to old roll calls looking for information plus the search function here is not so great.  I love "live" threads; the enthusiasm is infectious.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maryrichardson said:

We will be taking this cruise on the Jupiter in February 2020.  A friend is worried about seasickness around Cape Horn.  Could someone who has taken this cruise please comment on their experience ?

Taking this cruise in January 2020 so cannot say.  There are many sea days where a person who is prone to motion sickness may feel its  effects.  Friend should not worry about the "around Cape Horn" horror stories of sailing ships of old.  Viking will not be cruising offshore around it.  It will merely be scenic cruising within the protected waters around the Cabo de Horno islands.  How far out the captain takes the ship and for how long will be dictated by the conditions of the day.  It is not an offshore passage which must be taken come hell or high water.  Viking will sail the Beagle Channel to/from Ushuaia depending on your cruise (Valparaiso to BA or vice versa).  I overcame my seasickness after sailing my own boat for 30+ years, however, i am still bringing ginger capsules, the pressure wrist bands and non-drowsy Bonine JUST in case.  I also planned our cruise during the months where sea conditions are predicted to be most benign - January and February.  So as they say in Outlander, do not fash yourself.  

7 hours ago, maryrichardson said:

We will be taking this cruise on the Jupiter in February 2020.  A friend is worried about seasickness around Cape Horn.  Could someone who has taken this cruise please comment on their experience ?

If you friend is worried about seasickness, they should aware that a lot of this cruise is in the open waters of the Atlantic and the Pacific and it can get rough. Come prepared to deal with seasickness.

You don't actually make the transition from the Atlantic to the Pacific in the open waters at the southern end of South America. There is an inland passage known as the Beagle Channel that will  be used. Unless the conditions are adverse, the ships sail down to an island that is known as "Cape Horn," and then retrace its route north to either enter the Channel or to proceed to the Falklands depending on the direction you are sailing.  If the weather is bad, they captain may decide to skip this portion of the trip.

We did this 10 years ago on a Celebrity ship. The winds were blowing in the wrong direction the day we sailed to Cape Horn and did not get as close as the ships normally do, nor were we able to sail around the island as some ships do. I don't remember that the seas were particularly rough that day but I do remember that we were standing on our balcony in winter coats. I don't know that this portion of our trip took much more than 6 hours.

Ushuaia and Punta Arenas are two of the ports of call; to get to them, you have to sail through the Beagle Channel.

image.png.f924794fb7cb683b2a9c3ecd4943b8db.png

On 8/25/2019 at 2:26 PM, maryrichardson said:

I brought the pressure wrist bands and never need them. But on our March sailing it was beautiful calm waters, very light wind, sun and no rain but the cruise before us had rough seas, lots of rain and missed ports due to wind, seas, etc..

So I was prepared for the worst and lucked out.. bring hiking boots, warm weather coat and be prepared for rain and wind..

Edited by geffric