Doing Laundry in Your Cabin Bathroom

rwmartin

We have only used the laundry special on one cruise and our clothes were returned fine. It is nice to know that you can request cold water.  I’ll remember that for our next longer vacation.

When we go on our Baltic cruise next July both of us will be Platinum.  How does the laundry work for Platinum?  Do you fill up the bag like you would for the $19.99 special? Can you do it at anytime during the cruise?

Since I exercise daily, I have to wash as often. Don't wash in the sink. I find it easier and less messy by getting it done in the shower. Then roll in a towel and hang. Stuff always dry before going to bed at night. Ready for the gym the next day.

Good to know about writing COLD WATER on the free bag of laundry. 

FWIW, I've been on the Behind the Scenes tour on 3 different ships (Escape, Gem and Star) and always ask the laundry master about the water temperature they use for guests laundry.  All 3 assured me that they use cold water only.  So, no need to write COLD WATER.

My personal experience with laundry has always been positive.  You really can get a lot into those bags if you roll your clothes tightly - e.g. this past cruise we fit the following into a bag - 18 t-shirts, 16 pairs of socks, 5 shorts and 2 pants. I have not yet run into problems with shrinkage or bleeding.  The ID tags sometimes ARE hard to remove so that's a bit of a pain.

Im Platinum so I always get the laundry bag.

But in addition, I also wash things in the sink.   I always bring a tiny bottle of Dawn dishwashing detergent. I wash my gym clothes, underwear, swimsuit and I bring only one pair of pajamas.   All these items get washed a few times. 

Its unbelievable the people that have no idea how to hand wash things.   Im 50, it wasn't that long ago that people hand washed clothes a lot.    I remember in the 80's all those monogrammed sweaters, they all got hand washed.   I'm not understanding how women my age have no idea how to hand wash......but they don't!

First you fill the sink with warm water and the Dawn detergent.   If you have grease spots, pre treat with a drop of Dawn right on the spot.    Then let your items soak in the warm soapy water for 5 minutes or so.    Then rub and scrub the clothes.    Then drain the water and rinse each item.    Wring out as much of the water as you can and then place the items in a towel soaking up as much water as possible, I will stand on the towel with all my weight, get as much of the water out as possible, this will obviously make drying go quicker.   Hang the wet items up or if you have a balcony and it's not windy, set your items in the sun, they will dry really quick.   Just be sure to not forget them.

• Like 2