Wine packages?

BHendricks

Is there any advantage to buying a wine package before the cruise start or is it better wait until when having embarked, in regards to the price. 

Going on Volendam, Vancouver to Fort Lauderdale in September/October. 

Thank you for your advice 🙂

37 minutes ago, BHendricks said:

Is there any advantage to buying a wine package before the cruise start or is it better wait until when having embarked, in regards to the price. 

Going on Volendam, Vancouver to Fort Lauderdale in September/October. 

Thank you for your advice 🙂

There is no advantage.  No cost savings.

Wait until you are onboard.  That way you can see which wines they have available for each package for your sailing and choose wisely 😉 

• Like 1

Ye, we just did a cruise and waited until we were on board.  When walking around the ship, they were selling wine packages.  I asked the person selling them if all of the wines offered on the package were currently on board.  She could not tell me and suggested I wait until I was in the dining room on the first evening.  We did, and asked our wine server if certain wines on the package were available.  When we found out that they were, we bought it.

• Like 1

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

HAL doesn't offer any discounts on the Wine packages unless you are a 3 star (25% discount) or 4 and 5 star (50% discount) either before you cruise or once on the ship.

We learned the hard way one time many years ago.  Bought the package before we sailed.  Got on the ship and several of the wines listed in the package were not available.  Nor were any substitutes were offered.  We were fortunate that there was a wine we liked available.  Otherwise we were going to cancel the order.

• Like 1

I agree with the others. I pick up the little brochure from one of the sales tables on embarkation day but wait until I can talk to my  wine steward. Sometimes the wines are the same as in the brochure, but sometimes the wine steward has a very different list. And, like Catl332, I like to let my steward have credit for the sale.

• Like 1

Not only does the wine steward in the MDR get credit for the sale, but you also establish a relationship that you will want to maintain all during your cruise.  Frequently, the inventory of those wines you buy will deplete before the end of the cruise.  Your relationship with the wine steward will then bear fruit because they will look for substitutes that will please you.  This becomes especially important on those longer cruises such as you are taking. 

You and I know that wine is sold in every port, but HAL doesn't.  They don't pick up anything along the way.