Documents for the recently married

ClevelandKid

Greetings all,

we booked a cruise for this coming February months and months ago. We are getting married in September. My fiancé/wife will have her passport, driver license and Viking booking all under her maiden name. Currently if we don’t have to update anything we would be very happy but if we show up at the airport and are barred from flying because her name doesn’t match something then we are going to be very unhappy. 

Anyone with either knowledge of or experience this this scenario we would be very happy to hear from you.

Thanks!! 

I cannot directly speak to your question except to report that my daughter has been married for five years and she still uses her maiden name both professionally and personally. The happy couple take several international trips each year and there has never been a problem with being married but having all her ID under her maiden name.

I don't think it would be necessary, but you could always carry a photocopy of your marriage license if that would make you more comfortable should an unforeseen question arrise.

Edited by lackcreativity

21 minutes ago, ClevelandKid said:

Greetings all,

we booked a cruise for this coming February months and months ago. We are getting married in September. My fiancé/wife will have her passport, driver license and Viking booking all under her maiden name. Currently if we don’t have to update anything we would be very happy but if we show up at the airport and are barred from flying because her name doesn’t match something then we are going to be very unhappy. 

Anyone with either knowledge of or experience this this scenario we would be very happy to hear from you.

Thanks!! 

I have 20 years of knowledge about this. Whatever name is on her passport at time of travel is the name that you need to use to book her trip  for air and cruise.  So, if you booked her cruise and air under her maiden name, do not change her passport until you retuen home . 

8 hours ago, vslparis said:

I have 20 years of knowledge about this. Whatever name is on her passport at time of travel is the name that you need to use to book her trip  for air and cruise.  So, if you booked her cruise and air under her maiden name, do not change her passport until you retuen home . 

Excellent advice here.  I book travel inside my company and for international travel, it is about what is on the passport and on the passport exactly.  If the name does not match the passport then you will experience challenges.

As someone who never changed her name when I married 43 years ago, I can attest that there is absolutely no problems in traveling with a spouse of another surname. (My husband refused to change his name when we married - said my name wasn't his name - go figure the irrationality of that statement. 🙄)

On our recent cruise, two of the women were currently married and still used, and will always use, their birth names. The only woman, my sister, that had limited problems was the one that had divorced and reclaimed her identity.

Because her passport was still in her husband's name (all other identification being back in her name), she did book under under that alias used for so many years. However, because things such as luggage had an ID tag with her name, I did receive her luggage at the both the pre cruise and post cruise extension hotels.

Congratulations!

Is your air already booked under her current maiden name? If so---her passport must match the ticket. I don't have any experience trying to change a name due to marriage on an airline ticket.

My experience with name change due to marriage was that the first thing that had to get the name change was SS card. Needed this to change my name at work on health and life insurance and 401K.

I needed SS to then get my DL in my new name. With new SS and DL I then proceeded with new passport.

So we booked our international travel under my maiden name until I had a new passport.

If there is no pressing reason for her to change her name for work or any assets, wills, or trusts---I would wait until you get home, especially if the airline tickets are already issued.

And actually there is not, and never has been, a legal requirement for women to change their name upon marriage. It is strictly an outmoded custom held over from the legal system in England that was in place at the time of the settlement of the USA in the 17th century.

If one needs to prove that one has a spouse or partner, any legal document that deals with the marriage or partnership is all that is needed for inclusion on insurance or other documents.

My sister did have a problem on reentering the USA from this cruise.

I will not go into the precipitating event that led to her and her daughter being pulled aside for more in depth screening in Denver where they went through customs and immigrations for their flight from Europe, but she was held for approximately thirty minutes while checks were made because the name on her passport did not match the name on any of her other forms of identification (driver's license, social security  number, etc).

She was eventually cleared and released.

My take away lesson from this was if one is going to change one's name, do all the name changes and not just do it piecemeal.

Thank you all - it relieves my mind greatly that doing nothing is actually our best course of action (at least until after the cruise).  Right now, everything for her is in her maiden name and based on what all of you have said, I am not going to touch it until after the cruise.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2019 at 5:24 PM, ClevelandKid said:

Thank you all - it relieves my mind greatly that doing nothing is actually our best course of action (at least until after the cruise).  Right now, everything for her is in her maiden name and based on what all of you have said, I am not going to touch it until after the cruise.

😀 That's the way to go!