ORD (Chicago) airport winter delay (help choosing a flight)

aprilsp88

6 hours ago, aprilsp88 said:

Thanks. cruise line actually has next port protection, meaning if I miss the connection, they'll fly me to the next port. Still, I don't want to miss any day to enjoy the cruise.

Keep in mind, it's always the next available port. There's always a chance the next port (a) doesn't have an airport, (b) doesn't have a flight with seats, or (c) won't be eligible because it would cause a violation in rules.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Aprilsp88 - this always kills me that the cruise line promises to get you to the next port - not SO!  If the next flight (or flights) are full, there is NO way you can get on them - none!  With flights so full nowadays, I would definitely not take this for sure that you will get on the next flight to your destination.   It could actually end up being a day or two.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, alidor said:

Aprilsp88 - this always kills me that the cruise line promises to get you to the next port - not SO!  If the next flight (or flights) are full, there is NO way you can get on them - none!  With flights so full nowadays, I would definitely not take this for sure that you will get on the next flight to your destination.   It could actually end up being a day or two.

Technically it could be more. Let's say the first day or two are sea days, and the next stop is something like Labadee or a private island with no airport, and then the next port is something that would violate PVSA. I'm not saying booking on your own would solve this issue, it wouldn't, but the cruise line certainly can't help just because you booked through them.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, aprilsp88 said:

I now change the flight to connect in IAH. But just for my education, I don't quite get the above, do you mean to say not to change airport?

Yes, you don't want to change airports. Taxi time, traffic delays going from suburb to south side of city, going through security again, etc.

Edited by dabear
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Zach1213 said:

Keep in mind, it's always the next available port. There's always a chance the next port (a) doesn't have an airport, (b) doesn't have a flight with seats, or (c) won't be eligible because it would cause a violation in rules.

Or the next available is a tender port and the seas don’t cooperate.  

On one sailing there were a number of passengers who missed the ship because of a big storm in Chicago.  We saw a handful of them boarding from the tender, lugging their own bags, about halfway through the trip.  The porter at our hotel said they get a lot of walk-ins from people who have missed their ship.  Due to the weather, he was expecting a whole pile more on the day we left.

• Thanks 1