Vancouver taxi - extra charge for air con?

clarky213

Arrived into Vancouver airport today and took a taxi to downtown  Vancouver. Fixed rate should have been $32. Driver tried to charge me $45. When I queried the higher charge, he said it was because he turned the air con on. Never heard of this before anywhere in the world when I've been travelling. Paid him $40 in the end as that was what I was going to pay including his tip.

Was he trying to rip me off?

1st impression of Canada not good if he Was!

That's crazy!  I have limited experience as I've only been to Vancouver twice, but my 6 taxi rides never charged extra for AC!!!  

Don't let this sour your impression of Canada......they have always been really friendly to me!

"Some of my best friends are Canadian"  😉

~Nancy

3 hours ago, clarky213 said:

Arrived into Vancouver airport today and took a taxi to downtown  Vancouver. Fixed rate should have been $32. Driver tried to charge me $45. When I queried the higher charge, he said it was because he turned the air con on. Never heard of this before anywhere in the world when I've been travelling. Paid him $40 in the end as that was what I was going to pay including his tip.

Was he trying to rip me off?

1st impression of Canada not good if he Was!

He was absolutely trying to rip you off!  So sorry you had to have that as your 1st impression of Canada.

Taxi companies that service YVR pay a special (expensive) license for each of their cabs to work out of the airport and must comply to the negotiated fixed rate. If you'd had a chance, you could have taken his name and company to make a complaint.  

Too late for you now, but advice for others:  Know and confirm the rate before getting into the cab.

Here's a link about Vancouver Airport Taxis -- as well as a pdf for the current Vancouver Zones and rates

You did the right thing.  I used to travel to Washington DC a lot and always to the same office building .  They also used zone fares from the airport.  The fare was supposed to be $16.00.  I was charged between $16 and $20 by different drivers.  I always gave $20, which included a decent tip on the proper $16 fare.  If the ones who overcharged looked at me funny I would say your tip is in there.  Then they knew they had been caught.

Nothing like being overcharged a few dollars to get my blood boiling.

42 minutes ago, przyk said:

You did the right thing.  I used to travel to Washington DC a lot and always to the same office building .  They also used zone fares from the airport.  The fare was supposed to be $16.00.  I was charged between $16 and $20 by different drivers.  I always gave $20, which included a decent tip on the proper $16 fare.  If the ones who overcharged looked at me funny I would say your tip is in there.  Then they knew they had been caught.

Nothing like being overcharged a few dollars to get my blood boiling.

I agree - its not the money, its the idea of getting ripped off.  Makes you want to take any other form of transportation.

Now that's a new one! I've heard of folks being charged extra for luggage, credit card fees, and night time trips (all unlawful) but never an AC charge - original at least 😉

My driver from YVR yesterday tried to claim that management told him he had to turn on the meter or else he was uninsured for the trip, but ..."since you are local and know about the fixed fare zones I will honour the $32 rate instead of the metered $36." Just on the off-chance it actually was a poor training issue (he seriously struggled to find where we were on the zone map, which he pulled immediately that I stated it should be a fixed $32) I didn't refuse to pay, but said that I'd pay him the meter amount instead of the $32+tip which would have been higher (he was otherwise pleasant and drove efficiently).

Told him to be sure and check with his bosses how he's supposed to use the meter to reflect the fixed fare zones as they are not optional, but required - otherwise everyone heading into Richmond hotels near YVR would be able to pay the $8-12 meter rate instead of the $20 he makes off the fixed fare zone!!!

18 hours ago, martincath said:

Now that's a new one! I've heard of folks being charged extra for luggage, credit card fees, and night time trips (all unlawful) but never an AC charge - original at least 😉

My driver from YVR yesterday tried to claim that management told him he had to turn on the meter or else he was uninsured for the trip, but ..."since you are local and know about the fixed fare zones I will honour the $32 rate instead of the metered $36." Just on the off-chance it actually was a poor training issue (he seriously struggled to find where we were on the zone map, which he pulled immediately that I stated it should be a fixed $32) I didn't refuse to pay, but said that I'd pay him the meter amount instead of the $32+tip which would have been higher (he was otherwise pleasant and drove efficiently).

Told him to be sure and check with his bosses how he's supposed to use the meter to reflect the fixed fare zones as they are not optional, but required - otherwise everyone heading into Richmond hotels near YVR would be able to pay the $8-12 meter rate instead of the $20 he makes off the fixed fare zone!!!

Understand the rate from YVR to the port.  What is the rate from the port to YVR?

15 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Understand the rate from YVR to the port.  What is the rate from the port to YVR?

There isn't one - like several other cities only the INbound cab fares are fixed, with meter rates applying on all other trips. But since the fare zones were calculated based on the average trip cost from YVR to that area of the city, it's a pretty safe assumption that a similar amount will appear on the meter going the other way (in other words you can expect to pay a bit less than $36 if traffic is light, or a bit more if traffic is heavy).

Given that anyone going straight from the pier to the airport after disembarking is going against inbound commuter traffic for the vast majority of the route regular traffic shouldn't be much of an issue even on weekdays; unless there's a big race on that blocks streets, a collision on a bridge, or some major roadworks $40 should be the realistic top end of an outbound metered fare pier to YVR.

But just as drivers scam people by NOT using the fixed fares on the way in, they also look for extra cash by inventing a fake fixed fare on the way back! An offer of $35-40 cash (or US$30) basically means that the guy's going to pocket your entire payment without running it 'through the books' - even credit card payments can be weaseled like this if they e.g. invest in their own Square unit for their cellphone so they can run cards without use of taxi company hardware.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

I wish every city had fixed fares to/from airport.  Would reduce the issues for sure (not eliminate though).

Vegas is bad about long hauling - fixed would definately help,

Yup - I always specify the route in Vegas, especially to/from the airport!

In general I prep for any trip involving taxis from airports without fixed fares by Googling typical traffic on the day/time I'll be landing, memorizing the 2 most sensible routes, then asking the driver whether route A or route B has been better today - it immediately informs them that I might sound foreign but I seem to know the city. Of course that does depend on knowing the appropriate language a little!!! Another good trick to avoid long-hauling anywhere, language barrier or no, is to pull out your own GPS/Satnav or make it really obvious you're doing so on your phone - cabbies have enough sleep-deprived and naive tourists to prey on that they rarely try anything on with someone who seems remotely clued-in...

I'm 99% sure that our issue was simply me being lax since I was home and forgetting to 'remind' the driver about the fixed fare in advance; plus forgetting that after a week away surrounded by family our accents were in 'full Scots' mode so with a couple of suitcases we were assumed to be numpty tourists ripe for the picking!

21 minutes ago, martincath said:

There isn't one - like several other cities only the INbound cab fares are fixed, with meter rates applying on all other trips. But since the fare zones were calculated based on the average trip cost from YVR to that area of the city, it's a pretty safe assumption that a similar amount will appear on the meter going the other way (in other words you can expect to pay a bit less than $36 if traffic is light, or a bit more if traffic is heavy).

Given that anyone going straight from the pier to the airport after disembarking is going against inbound commuter traffic for the vast majority of the route regular traffic shouldn't be much of an issue even on weekdays; unless there's a big race on that blocks streets, a collision on a bridge, or some major roadworks $40 should be the realistic top end of an outbound metered fare pier to YVR.

But just as drivers scam people by NOT using the fixed fares on the way in, they also look for extra cash by inventing a fake fixed fare on the way back! An offer of $35-40 cash (or US$30) basically means that the guy's going to pocket your entire payment without running it 'through the books' - even credit card payments can be weaseled like this if they e.g. invest in their own Square unit for their cellphone so they can run cards without use of taxi company hardware.

22 minutes ago, martincath said:

Planning on taking taxi to Pan Pacific.

Would the train or taxi be better to return to YVR?

Not overly concerned about costs.

8 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Planning on taking taxi to Pan Pacific.

Would the train or taxi be better to return to YVR?

Not overly concerned about costs.

If cost isn't really a factor, then the only reason to take SkyTrain instead of a cab is if the queue for cabs is long enough that the hassle of walking ~400 yards with your bags is less than your concern about being late for your flight. Cabs are obviously much more convenient with no need to schlep bags around.

NB: I'm assuming you mean 'fly to YVR, take cab to PP for a pre-cruise night or more, cruise, then on return from the cruise head to YVR' rather than 'arrive on a one-way cruise, take taxi to PP for a post-cruise night or more, then head to YVR'! If you did mean the latter though just head upstairs after disembarking instead, no cab required as the PP is literally on top of the pier 😉

4 minutes ago, martincath said:

If cost isn't really a factor, then the only reason to take SkyTrain instead of a cab is if the queue for cabs is long enough that the hassle of walking ~400 yards with your bags is less than your concern about being late for your flight. Cabs are obviously much more convenient with no need to schlep bags around.

NB: I'm assuming you mean 'fly to YVR, take cab to PP for a pre-cruise night or more, cruise, then on return from the cruise head to YVR' rather than 'arrive on a one-way cruise, take taxi to PP for a post-cruise night or more, then head to YVR'! If you did mean the latter though just head upstairs after disembarking instead, no cab required as the PP is literally on top of the pier 😉

We're flying to YVR, taking taxi to Pan Pacific, embarking on cruise next day.

Returning to Canada Place a week later.  Need to return to YVR for flight home.

Not at all in a rush to get to YVR.  

We had choices of flights leaving before 9:15 or after 1600.

4 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Unless you have alot of luggage, I would take the Canada Line Skytrain.  Its about a 5-10 minute walk to the train, then a 25 minute ride right to the airport.  Cost about $5 pp.  Its an interesting ride (different than the taxi) and sometimes there is a huge line to get a taxi at Canada Place.  Depending on the line and traffic, the Skytrain could be faster by a bit.

5 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

If you're taking a flight after 1600, you have time to see a bit more of Vancouver before heading to YVR -- e.g. Stanley Park? At the very least, you'd have time for a leisurely walk around and lunch.  You could leave your bags at the Pan Pacific bell desk (for the cost of a nice tip), then return to either take a taxi or walk to Waterfront Station to try Skytrain.