Considering the Epic How is food for Celiacs

judydoc

We’ve been on 4 NCL ships with Dd who has celiac, excellent every time. Food ordered in advance, cooked in separate kitchen, delivered to MDR and buffet, tons of gf items like pizza, bread, pasta, cookies, muffins, waffles, pancakes... Let them know before the cruise and you will be contacted after you board.

If you tell them in advance that you are impacted by cross contamination, they will prep your food in a different area but you will have to make that clear ahead of time.  Their GF options are really lacking on my sailing but I did ok.  I should also note that I didn't make arrangements ahead of time.  You can request a menu ahead of time and discuss your options for the next meal service.  They will accommodate if they can.

Edited by Georgia_Peaches

Contact NCL and they'll have you fill out a form in advance regarding your special needs. My mom has an allergy to butter and they assigned a specific crew member to work with her each day to make her food choices and ensure no cross-contamination. I've toured the galleys and they have separate areas to prepare these types of meals.  It was incredible and they went above and beyond. A few nights, the chefs even made a special dessert for my mom to eat that fit her needs.  It was amazing!

• 3 months later...

We just returned from our Cruise on the Epic and unfortunately had a difficult time.  The Waiter in charge of taking your orders the night before and helping with allergies, was awesome!  The regular Staff on the other hand need training and a better system of delivering.  The kitchen does its job but the staff doesn't quite get it.  Four times I was served regular food.  Not cool.  Some even tried to reassure me it was correct.   The Allergy Waiter tries his best but is in charge of all the restaurants.  Dessert was slim pickings.  Was served flourless chocolate cake, crème Brule, fruit or ice cream.  After asking several times they agreed to make cheese cake (which I love, and was brought every meal)  It was a 16 day cruise, so was disappointed with the lack of variety.  The only gluten free bread product was sliced bread and a hamburger bun.  No muffins.  They had thin toaster  waffles, which lacked in taste.  So easy to to do much better.  Main meals were good, when preordered.  Selection in the Buffet was very limited.  If sailing on this ship may want to bring some treats for yourself.

When we sailed, the communication as to the process was very poor. It took 2 1/2 days before we had solved the problem. Once it was figured out, we stuck to the main dining room. Ask to see the menu for the next meal, order what you want off of it, and they'll make it for you. My ex-wife had pancakes, eggs benedict, and other options that far exceeded her expectations. 

13 hours ago, meyermtacmj said:

When we sailed, the communication as to the process was very poor. It took 2 1/2 days before we had solved the problem. Once it was figured out, we stuck to the main dining room. Ask to see the menu for the next meal, order what you want off of it, and they'll make it for you. My ex-wife had pancakes, eggs benedict, and other options that far exceeded her expectations. 

Did preorder, the waiters still gave me the wrong dishes.  You need to really look it over before eating it.  The four times were preordered and in the diningroom.

My DW  2 years ago on Escape had her order taken the night before by the head waiter and then delivered by the same head waiter the next meal period. We just gave her our dinner reservations for the remainder of the cruise the first night. We did fill out the special needs paperwork before we sailed and had a call from the head waiter on the first day so she could greet us at Taste that first night. The offerings were pretty good