Volendam Sports Bar?

rucrazy

We are going to be on the Volendam this December/January and would like to watch a couple of football bowl games.

With the dry dock scheduled for October and the re-figuration of Mix area to accommodate the dueling piano entertainment HAL is now offering, where might we be able to watch a game with others and maybe get a a cold beer? 

Thank You

Joseph

On 9/5/2019 at 9:11 AM, rucrazy said:

We are going to be on the Volendam this December/January and would like to watch a couple of football bowl games.

With the dry dock scheduled for October and the re-figuration of Mix area to accommodate the dueling piano entertainment HAL is now offering, where might we be able to watch a game with others and maybe get a a cold beer? 

Thank You

Joseph

Good question, Joseph!  I had not realized that the Mix area was going to become "history".  

A part of the drydock that I look forward to is the installation of larger TV screens and, I think, and a major increase in programming available on the TVs.  

As the previous poster mentioned, Dorian may prevent any delay any drydocking for the Volendam.

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Good question, Joseph!  I had not realized that the Mix area was going to become "history".  

A part of the drydock that I look forward to is the installation of larger TV screens and, I think, and a major increase in programming available on the TVs.  

As the previous poster mentioned, Dorian may prevent any delay any drydocking for the Volendam.

I believe this was answered on a previous thread.  The area will get a portion of the Music Walk that's available on other ships, namely Billboard Onboard.  If this information is incorrect, someone will post soon to correct it.

On 9/5/2019 at 9:11 AM, rucrazy said:

Thank You

Joseph

I have re-examined the deck plan of the Volendam (and remembering my other trips on Zaandam and Volendam), I really wonder if there will be a "sports bar" type venue possible if MIx is removed.

The Wajang Theater would have big screen capability and ample seating for such games.  But, it's not close to any lounge although that "forever underused "bar/area" since it was created" just forward of the Theater could be utilized if the Hotel Director/Bar Manager chose to do so.  Surely not the same as a sports bar, but maybe better than nothing?

12 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I have re-examined the deck plan of the Volendam (and remembering my other trips on Zaandam and Volendam), I really wonder if there will be a "sports bar" type venue possible if MIx is removed.

I am hoping @Copper10-8 will see this and hopefully give us the correct answer!!

9 hours ago, rucrazy said:

I seem to remember being on a couple of HAL cruises where they had a Big Screen TV in a section of the Crows Nest... But there was no bar service available during the day games

If the Volendam's Crow's Nest has been changed into the same type of EXC arrangement as it was on the Westerdam (that I was on in July), there might be a screen in the former "Captain's Corner"  area of the Lounge that is now used for EXC programming.  Whether it is hooked into the ship's TV network, I don't know.

Looking at the Volendam's deck plan again, if MIX is history, I don't know where there might be a "sports bar" type venue.  I wasn't thinking about that when I was on the Westerdam, but I don't think there was one.  The old underused disco was transformed into the Gallery Bar; that might be a spot.  But, the Volendam does not have that space.  

Maybe the Wajang Theater on the Volendam?  If so, the closest bar is on the next deck up.

I don't think the ship has a "Movie Under the Stars" type screen.  When I sailed on Nieuw Statendam which does have that, the football games were played on that screen  (and were well attended by the guests).  And, a bar was near by.

Bob

16 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

When I sailed on Nieuw Statendam which does have that, the football games were played on that screen  (and were well attended by the guests).  And, a bar was near by.

Bob

Bob

I bet that was nice 👍 

It was fun, but such a setting does not replace a Sports Bar's atmosphere for the "big" games.

Yes, it was Joseph.  But, in the evening, it was rather cool.  It was fun, but such a setting does not replace a Sports Bar's atmosphere for the "big" games.

Few venues would! unless you’re at the stadium!!

24 minutes ago, rucrazy said:

Few venues would! unless you’re at the stadium!

Once, I attended a Cincinnati Bengals game in Cincinnati.  My seat was up in the stadium, but, not real high, angled so that we looked at the goal line at one end of the field.  I can see a football game better by sitting in my Lazy Boy and watching it at home.

In old Riverfront Stadium, I did have the privilege of being given a pair of tickets to a World Series Game between Red Soxs and the Reds:  maybe 1975 or 1976.  (It was when the Big Red Machine was really working!)  Our seats were directly behind Home Plate in the upper most section of the stadium.  (I was so far up we could see the lights of planes landing at the airport in Kentucky.  I stood for the National Anthem and remained seated for the rest of the game for fear of toppling over if I stood again.)  The energy/noise/etc. that I experienced during that game (which the Reds won) is an indelible memory for me.  Truly, a once in a lifetime experience.