Tax/available Port of Vancouver

twoznuff2

We are sailing out of Vancouver. On sail away day will we be able to take advantage of our drink package tax free? When I sailed in May on the Bliss we were charged a "tax" the whole time we were in port. If anyone know I am curious to plan ahead for the extra expense if there is a charge.

Some, but not all, cities have rules around liquor and  taxes upon said liquor. In Boston I paid around a dollar on my beer at lunch. In Texas they have limits on what liquor can be served - ie it must be bought in Texas and have had the taxes paid on it. When sailing out of New Orleans you pay taxes on served drinks until you are out of the Mississippi river delta. NCL usually has a limited number of bars open when sailing out of Houston.

Doing a quick search on the subject it would appear that you would probably pay and additional 12% tax on beverages consumed while in the port. So if you had a $10.00 beer you could expect to pay $1.20 in tax.

Canada places limitations on the number of bars open while it port though. At least when we docked in Victoria only one a deck was open (so any alcohol service on deck 6 was coming from the atrium on Bliss). No tax though until we were back in Washington waters, wasn't immediate on my sailing.

Thank you all for the response back. The tax amount is about what I thought it would be and I now remember that a lot of the bars were closed while in Victoria. I hope the bars are open on departure day in Vancouver.I guess we shall see. 

1 hour ago, twoznuff2 said:

Thank you all for the response back. The tax amount is about what I thought it would be and I now remember that a lot of the bars were closed while in Victoria. I hope the bars are open on departure day in Vancouver.I guess we shall see. 

One bar per deck will be open while in Vancouver