Royal Princess Internet Requirement

WannaBaMermaid

16 hours ago, Times Prince said:

The INTERNET package is charged separately and one only uses it when you want to email, search the internet, go to internet sites.   Be sure to LOG OFF when done, as any extra time will go against your paid allotment.

Hint: if browsing a lot of email, access it while connected to the internet, log off, the prepare responses offline to be sent when next online, which uses less of your paid minutes.

The OP says that they will be on the Royal. When we were on the Royal last month I bought the internet package for the entire cruise and I don't think they have "by the minute" packages. I could be wrong but I don't think so. If this is the case you do not need to log off and I just stayed logged on the entire time.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2019 at 10:15 PM, Haboob said:

The problem is that if you use WiFi calling, you have to remain logged onto the ship's internet to receive calls and texts unless you have a "call-me-at time" established.

never have used wifi calling (or skype).   When we are on a cruise we check for family emails.  They know how to contact the ship by phone for major emergencies.   Otherwise we know they are OK and they know we are having a great time!!!

On 9/11/2019 at 12:21 PM, XBGuy said:

I did not realize that.  Thanks.

They do also offer unlimited access by the day, don't they?  I can see a scenario where people exhaust their Captain''s Circle allocation with only one or two days left in their cruise.  I would think that they might be inclined to purchase 24 hours, or so, of additional access.

Just FYI, if you buy before you board it's cheaper.  I'm on Royal Nov 2 and my booking shows unlimited internet for $59.99!  But I'm with some who don't really need internet while onboard.  I have the Medallion Class on my iPad.  If I want to use it to see where my hubby is, do I need internet for the GPS to work, or will the INTRAnet do that?  I thought I read I'd need to buy the internet pkg for that to work.  Do you know?  This will be my 1st time on a Medallion Class ship.

48 minutes ago, swilli55 said:

Just FYI, if you buy before you board it's cheaper.  I'm on Royal Nov 2 and my booking shows unlimited internet for $59.99!  But I'm with some who don't really need internet while onboard.  I have the Medallion Class on my iPad.  If I want to use it to see where my hubby is, do I need internet for the GPS to work, or will the INTRAnet do that?  I thought I read I'd need to buy the internet pkg for that to work.  Do you know?  This will be my 1st time on a Medallion Class ship.

No you do not need to buy an internet package for tracking the location of cruise mates. The apps and the ships intranet can do that.