Pickleball time on HAL Westerdam

CH_ca

I've read that all HAL ships now offer pickleball playing. Can anyone tell me if they are dedicated pickleball courts and open almost all the time or the courts are used for other sports at different times? If they are shared, how often do they offer pickleball playing? Especially on Westerdam.  Also, are paddles and pickleballs supplied? Thanks!

Edited by CH_ca

Can't speak specifically the Westerdam, but on a trans-pac on the Noordam last year there was a dedicated pickle ball court with dedicated times for playing listed in the daily program. As a confirmed rookie ( and that is being kind) the first day consisted of 3 of us playing/hitting/chasing. ( and I use the term liberally). The second day it was advertised as a tournament and about a dozen people showed up ( many who were better than competent) and great fun was had by all. Subsequent days varied in participation but games continued on a daily basis. 

As to equipment, there were 4 paddles located in the playing area, all day long together with 6-8 balls. Paddles were wood and I am told beginner quality. Hope this helps.

ypaddle ball is a lot more fun than pickleball for  those of us who actually like to take more than one step on the court and get some exercise  LOL :P~

At least with paddle tennis you play somewhat  like regular tennis- with a slightly deflated ball and you serve underhand..just no lines for doubles. Sorry  but no no interest in pickleball or badmitton or any other net sport where you pretty much stay in place... I am used to playign paddleball on ships and have my own racquet. No courts on HAL aor most mainstream lines have courts dedicated to any racquet sport.I understand Cunard and Seabourne have them as ell as my (formerly) beloved Crystal,where I started to play back in like 2011.

Edited by wearesiamese

8 hours ago, wearesiamese said:

ypaddle ball is a lot more fun than pickleball for  those of us who actually like to take more than one step on the court and get some exercise  LOL :P~

At least with paddle tennis you play somewhat  like regular tennis- with a slightly deflated ball and you serve underhand..just no lines for doubles. Sorry  but no no interest in pickleball or badmitton or any other net sport where you pretty much stay in place... I am used to playign paddleball on ships and have my own racquet. No courts on HAL aor most mainstream lines have courts dedicated to any racquet sport.I understand Cunard and Seabourne have them as ell as my (formerly) beloved Crystal,where I started to play back in like 2011.

Try some singles pickelball .  You will not stay in place.

5 hours ago, awhcruiser said:

Try some singles pickelball .  You will not stay in place.

I would say the reverse to you.I have a paddle tennis racquet  that I bought in Barcelona(older one from Acapulco)and my bf is a former Davis cup captain, Wimbledon semi finalist etc and am a life long tennis fan, so I am not going to change LOL

The pickleball court is smaller than a paddle tennis court and a ridiculous kids like holey ball is used NO thanks QQ

Edited by wearesiamese

On 9/18/2019 at 4:40 PM, wearesiamese said:

I would say the reverse to you.I have a paddle tennis racquet  that I bought in Barcelona(older one from Acapulco)and my bf is a former Davis cup captain, Wimbledon semi finalist etc and am a life long tennis fan, so I am not going to change LOL

The pickleball court is smaller than a paddle tennis court and a ridiculous kids like holey ball is used NO thanks QQ

You can rag on pb all you want...I love it! Former tennis, raquetball, ping pong player. And I can also talk smack!

I can put junk on that ridiculous ball and have your butt running all over the court in singles and doubs- laughing at your baseline strategy whacking.

I cannot wait to play onboard the N. Stat during Thanksgiving week. And I've already checked in with the locals in Key West to play at their new 6 court dedicated facility. Pickleball at sea is a dream!

• Thanks 1

On 9/18/2019 at 3:40 PM, wearesiamese said:

That's hilarious since I only watch pickleball and dont play.  My husband does.  Your opinion may vary

43 minutes ago, JoeMammy said:

You can rag on pb all you want...I love it! Former tennis, raquetball, ping pong player. And I can also talk smack!

I can put junk on that ridiculous ball and have your butt running all over the court in singles and doubs- laughing at your baseline strategy whacking.

I cannot wait to play onboard the N. Stat during Thanksgiving week. And I've already checked in with the locals in Key West to play at their new 6 court dedicated facility. Pickleball at sea is a dream!

My hubby agrees!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On 9/17/2019 at 11:34 PM, wearesiamese said:

Seriously?  You have clearly not been playing/following Pickleball.  I'm a 4+ player and if you want to move more, perhaps we'll cross paths on a HAL cruise. I'll even lend you a pro-level bat. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1