Symphony Of The Seas or other ships - do they change to Island time???

#1TravelMom

7 minutes ago, #1TravelMom said:

We will be on Symphony Of The Seas next month. We are trying to coordinate something in Roatan. I need to know if the ship stays on Miami time or switches to local time?

The pre-cruise listings of itineraries are supposed to be in local times according to Royal.

9 minutes ago, #1TravelMom said:

We will be on Symphony Of The Seas next month. We are trying to coordinate something in Roatan. I need to know if the ship stays on Miami time or switches to local time?

why not just specify the time zone when making the arrangement.

24 minutes ago, molly361 said:

They stay on Miami time

Thanks. I thought they normally stay on Miami time. All of our previous Royal Caribbean Cruises did not change the clocks. I just wanted to make sure they haven't changed anything recently.

19 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

why not just specify the time zone when making the arrangement.

We just needed to know specifically if the ship time changed. For example, if we want to meet a local friend at noon for lunch. That would make sense to us, but to them it is only going to be 10 am, too early for lunch.

1 minute ago, #1TravelMom said:

Thanks. I thought they normally stay on Miami time. All of our previous Royal Caribbean Cruises did not change the clocks. I just wanted to make sure they haven't changed anything recently.

We just needed to know specifically if the ship time changed. For example, if we want to meet a local friend at noon for lunch. That would make sense to us, but to them it is only going to be 10 am, too early for lunch.

what i meant was to tell them noon Miami time, or whatever works for both of you.

26 minutes ago, mo&fran said:

what i meant was to tell them noon Miami time, or whatever works for both of you.

I have been on cruises where the ship stayed on home time and others where the ship changed to local time. I have experienced it both ways on the same ship but different cruises. In other words, it really is unpredicable and someone else's experience is no guarentee of what will happen on your cruise.

13 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

I have been on cruises where the ship stayed on home time and others where the ship changed to local time. I have experienced it both ways on the same ship but different cruises. In other words, it really is unpredicable and someone else's experience is no guarentee of what will happen on your cruise.

We did a B2B a few years ago on Liberty, a 5 night then a 4 night with both itineraries visiting Cozumel.  On one sailing they switched to local time and on the other they stayed on Miami time...couldn’t figure out the logic in that one.  

12 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

We did a B2B a few years ago on Liberty, a 5 night then a 4 night with both itineraries visiting Cozumel.  On one sailing they switched to local time and on the other they stayed on Miami time...couldn’t figure out the logic in that one.  

Where did you go besides Cozumel?  Did you stay overnight in any port? Was the ship out of Galveston then?

Daylight savings time season?

While time zone changes are up to the captain's discretion, usually the captain will change times if the ship is staying in a port overnight (like Bermuda) or sailing on a transit cruise between new home ports.

For the OP, take a look at the various reviews with pictures on these boards.  The daily cruise compass will show the time and state if it has changed to local.

Edited by crewsweeper

20 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Where did you go besides Cozumel?  Did you stay overnight in any port? Was the ship out of Galveston then?

Daylight savings time season?

While time zone changes are up to the captain's discretion, usually the captain will change times if the ship is staying in a port overnight (like Bermuda) or sailing on a transit cruise between new home ports.

For the OP, take a look at the various reviews with pictures on these boards.  The daily cruise compass will show the time and state if it has changed to local.

Caribbean cruise so no overnights. It was DST for both cruises. Out of FLL 

It just shows that it is up to the ships  captain and that it can be unpredictable. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach
  • Like 1