Royal princess Alaska fa4 tour question.

Networker

We are new to Princess having been loyal RCI.   First time to Alaska.  We think we have narrowed our ship down to the royal northbound June 2020.  What is the difference between on your own land tour?   We are traveling first time with a small group so trying to find options for all budgets.  When I called yesterday to inquire about costs I was quoted deck 11 or above for balcony.  Never been that high.   When I inquired about lower floors she told me they would be obstructed.  Now I’m confused.  What deck is preferred to minimize movement?   Any concerns that I should know about the ship and route?   I’m tired of looking.  Just want to book it and forget about it for a year.  We are also leaving to go home from Fairbanks to Philadelphia?   Any concerns with that?   Also how many rooms do you need to book to get the group discount?    

2 minutes ago, Networker said:

We are new to Princess having been loyal RCI.   First time to Alaska.  We think we have narrowed our ship down to the royal northbound June 2020.  What is the difference between on your own land tour?   We are traveling first time with a small group so trying to find options for all budgets.  When I called yesterday to inquire about costs I was quoted deck 11 or above for balcony.  Never been that high.   When I inquired about lower floors she told me they would be obstructed.  Now I’m confused.  What deck is preferred to minimize movement?   Any concerns that I should know about the ship and route?   I’m tired of looking.  Just want to book it and forget about it for a year.  We are also leaving to go home from Fairbanks to Philadelphia?   Any concerns with that?   Also how many rooms do you need to book to get the group discount?    

The Royal is big. Although possible I doubt you will feel any movement in Alaska.

Deck 8 balconies are in front of lifeboats with varying degrees of obstruction.

27 minutes ago, Networker said:

What is the difference between on your own land tour?

What are you looking for with this question?  Lots of people combine a land portion with a one-way cruise for Alaska.  Two different trips.  You cannot see much of Alaska by land only.  For a land portion, you can go with Princess and combine with the cruise or you can make your own arrangements, depending on where you want to go and what you want to do.

30 minutes ago, Networker said:

When I called yesterday to inquire about costs I was quoted deck 11 or above for balcony.  Never been that high.   When I inquired about lower floors she told me they would be obstructed.  Now I’m confused.  What deck is preferred to minimize movement?

You should spend a bit of time reviewing the ship deck plans on the Princess website.  You were either misinformed or misunderstood the agent.  Above Deck 8, the balconies are not obstructed, other than for a small number that face forward and may have a steel barricade at the balcony edge instead of the normal glass barricade.  The balconies on Deck 8 (Emerald) will have some obstructions, some partial obstructions, and a small number with no obstructions.  The lifeboats and tenders are one deck lower on Deck 7 (Promenade) and they are mounted high up above head.  This means the top of these boats is above the balcony floor level and sometimes above the railing.  This varies depending on location.  You will still have an outdoor view when standing, but these boats are there.  You can get an idea of what the obstructed view is like by checking here:  https://sites.google.com/site/cabinviewbyrenmar/

With a ship like Royal, you aren't going to feel much movement, but if concerned, avoid far forward and look to be more towards mid-ship.  I don't think deck height matters much, but you can go for a lower deck.  The mid-ship balconies on Emerald really don't have an obstruction but are sold as such.

5 minutes ago, Networker said:

Struggling to find a TA.   I find I know more than they do just from the research.  Disappointed.   Plus trying to book for a group and folks are getting antsy.  Too much back and forth.  

You can make bookings directly with Princess and then take your time to see if can find a suitable TA.  You have 60 days after booking to do a transfer.

How big is this group?  You mentioned "small" so you may not reach a threshold for group treatment.  I don't recall what Princess' number is before any extra perks might kick in, including a free cabin. 

You might find some useful info on this older thread:  

I'd still have a plan to get with a TA if possible.

On your own tours - You are paying for the lodge and transportation between the lodges.  Once at a lodge there are no excursions that you have paid for.  You are "on your own".  You can book an excursion on your personalizer online or book an excursion once at the lodge.

Denali Explorer tours - I found FA4 under this.  It includes the transportation to and from lodges but also includes some excursions.  FA4 for 2020 includes the Natural History tour into Denali National Park .  You can upgrade to the longer tundra wilderness tour which takes you farther into the park.  Most people on here say that is the way to go.  You can upgrade with the reps on the phone at Princess.  This tour also goes to Fairbanks and includes an excursion there.  

When searching for the cruisetour online make sure to click on itinerary.  Scroll down to see everything... ship itinerary and cruisetour itinerary.  The descriptions of each day will tell you what is included.

Hope this helps.  We did Alaska this year with a 6 day Denali Explorer tour and loved it.

My TA did a last minute (about 2 weeks in advance) Alaska land tour and booked through Princess.  It was an on your own.  She then did a cruise on another cruise line.  I didn't know you could do this but she said yes.  

As for the decks... the lower the deck and mid ship the better.  I have been on the Royal mid aft deck 11 and also deck 12.  I felt it was fine as far as movement.  The rep may have only quoted you deck 11 because maybe your category is all sold out for the other decks?  Just go on Princess.com, find a cruise, then click on cruisetour.  Very important to click cruisetour ... otherwise you will only find info about the cruise itself.  cruisetour has limited cabins available.  Many people just do the cruise.  Fill in the blanks to find the cruise and date you are interested in.  Then select a room type and go through the instructions.  you will see what is available.  It is quite easy.  Any questions... just ask us.

Edited by dickinson

We did the Royal in Alaska this year over the summer. It's a beautiful ship. A bit wonky trying to get to one of the main dining rooms. 

I would, for myself at least, suggest a smaller ship. The Royal didn't seem to get as close to the glaciers as other cruises we've done in Alaska on smaller ships. 

It was a great cruise either way. 

23 hours ago, dickinson said:

On your own tours - You are paying for the lodge and transportation between the lodges.  Once at a lodge there are no excursions that you have paid for.  You are "on your own".  You can book an excursion on your personalizer online or book an excursion once at the lodge.

Denali Explorer tours - I found FA4 under this.  It includes the transportation to and from lodges but also includes some excursions.  FA4 for 2020 includes the Natural History tour into Denali National Park .  You can upgrade to the longer tundra wilderness tour which takes you farther into the park.  Most people on here say that is the way to go.  You can upgrade with the reps on the phone at Princess.  This tour also goes to Fairbanks and includes an excursion there.  

When searching for the cruisetour online make sure to click on itinerary.  Scroll down to see everything... ship itinerary and cruisetour itinerary.  The descriptions of each day will tell you what is included.

Hope this helps.  We did Alaska this year with a 6 day Denali Explorer tour and loved it.

My TA did a last minute (about 2 weeks in advance) Alaska land tour and booked through Princess.  It was an on your own.  She then did a cruise on another cruise line.  I didn't know you could do this but she said yes.  

As for the decks... the lower the deck and mid ship the better.  I have been on the Royal mid aft deck 11 and also deck 12.  I felt it was fine as far as movement.  The rep may have only quoted you deck 11 because maybe your category is all sold out for the other decks?  Just go on Princess.com, find a cruise, then click on cruisetour.  Very important to click cruisetour ... otherwise you will only find info about the cruise itself.  cruisetour has limited cabins available.  Many people just do the cruise.  Fill in the blanks to find the cruise and date you are interested in.  Then select a room type and go through the instructions.  you will see what is available.  It is quite easy.  Any questions... just ask us.

Thank you so much.   Such good answers.  

I was on the Royal southbound last week. This was my first princess and first land tour as well. We did the land first but I would strongly suggest looking at doing your land tour through Princess. They made it so easy for us. Meeting us at baggage claim, taking our luggage and letting us know where to go. Our packet included our room keys so we just went straight to the room upon arriving at the lodge. Same on the bus to Denali, we stopped just outside the lodge, received a welcome packet that had our room key, no line to "check in". The best part was when riding the train from Denali to Whittier we stopped in Anchorage where customs agents came on and scanned our passport in and checked us into the cruise, once at the terminal we went through security and straight to the ship and straight to the room, with our medallions unlocking the door on arrival. Couldn't have been smoother. 

As for obstructions. I was in a midship balcony on deck 10 and I'd say you're probably unobstructed anywhere from deck 8 and above. As for movement, there was very little when traveling between the ports since you're so close to land most of the time. 

On 9/21/2019 at 1:27 PM, Networker said:

I booked it.   Royal princess fa4 tour.   Was tired of researching.   I booked deck 10 516.   Now I’m excited.  

Don't forget to call Princess to upgrade to the Tundra Wilderness tour instead of Natural History... especially if you are staying at the lodge for 2 nights and have a whole day for the tour.  Well worth it.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2019 at 3:30 PM, Networker said:

Also how many rooms do you need to book to get the group discount? 

For me:

5 to get extra OBC

8 to get a free room (I'm a solo)

Info from my PVP. Not sure what a TA gets you