Venice for one night

luv2travel90266

Hotel Olimpia and the new AC Marriott are by Piazzale Roma, across the large bridge from the train station. One more small bridge to Olimpia. Both are close to the people mover (monorail) to the cruise port. The people mover is the cheapest way to the port. If you have a lot of luggage there is a taxi stand in Piazalle Roma. We've stayed at both and would again. 

2 hours ago, luv2travel90266 said:

Trying to choose where to stay in Venice for one night prior to boarding a Celebrity cruise. We will be coming into town by train in the afternoon. My thoughts were to choose a hotel near Pizzale Roma. Does one take a Vaparetto to the cruise terminal? 

If you are arriving by train, it might make sense to stay at a hotel in/near the Grand Canal or thereabouts, as it's where much of the main sightseeing is, Piazza San Marco, the basilica, Doges Palace, Bridge of Sighs, and just walking around the Grand Canal which will be much quieter at night than in the day, so head for the quieter, back canals in the day after you've visited a few places. 

Then yes, in the morning it's probably easy to catch a vaporetto or water taxi in the morning to the cruise terminal. The waterways will be quiet and lovely, might make for some incredible photo opportunities on the way there. It's not the same as worrying about street traffic, say, in London or New York City, and getting to the pier from the hotel via train, taxi, or airport, or some combination thereof. Also, no schlepping once you arrive. You can check right into your hotel (or drop off your luggage) and get out into Venice.

Believe me, once you cross the lagoon on the train and come into Venice, you won't want to wait by having to go to Piazzale Roma, check in, then have to come all the way back over to where you were to begin exploring the city. As to where to stay, of course there are many recommendations here on our message boards for your to search through from our members. And you'll surely get input from others here too. 

Whatever you decide, have a wonderful time! 🙂

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

Believe me, once you cross the lagoon on the train and come into Venice, you won't want to wait by having to go to Piazzale Roma, check in, then have to come all the way back over to where you were to begin exploring the city. As to where to stay, of course there are many recommendations here on our message boards for your to search through from our members. And you'll surely get input from others here too. 

Host Bonjour, I'm a little confused by your comment here. If someone arrives via train, Piazzale Roma is very convenient to the Santa Lucia station. (In fact, it's right there, just across the one bridge)... So it would be quite easy to check in, leave your luggage, and then begin exploring Venice. There's not any "all the way back" to Venice from this point. Were you thinking of Mestre, perhaps?

3 hours ago, xtrail said:

if you catch a  vaporetto on the grand canal  ,  does the  drop you off right inside the port near the  cruise docking area .

No. The vaporetti have set routes and they do not go into the Marittima port. If you want to take a vaporetti from somewhere on the Grand Canal, you would get off at Piazzale Roma and then take the People Mover to the port.

Vaporetti are like "water buses".  Are you thinking of the more expensive private water taxis?

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Host Bonjour, I'm a little confused by your comment here. If someone arrives via train, Piazzale Roma is very convenient to the Santa Lucia station. (In fact, it's right there, just across the one bridge)... So it would be quite easy to check in, leave your luggage, and then begin exploring Venice. There's not any "all the way back" to Venice from this point. Were you thinking of Mestre, perhaps?

No, I looked at the map incorrectly. I do make mistakes sometimes...I read a lot of posts and have the best intentions always. Sincere apologies to OP, I hadn't at all meant to lead you astray in Venice, or anyone, anywhere. And thank you to cruisemom for helping to ensure all was clear. 🙂  

Many, many helpful threads here on this Italy board re: getting to/from the cruise port and points in Venice, whether it's a hotel or a particular sightseeing destination. And the people mover is mentioned frequently here on the boards, it's one of the most popular questions for transiting in Venice. Definitely recommend a search of the boards for these posts, (and many others!) to collect some of that wonderful information for your trip. Have fun as you continue making your plans! 🙂 

Edited by Host Bonjour

1 hour ago, luv2travel90266 said:

I saw Hotel Olympia which had good reviews and thought that made sense for a 1 night stay  before boarding. Thanks all for the help and suggestions. 

It's a good choice; many have recommended it here to others.

2 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

No, I looked at the map incorrectly. I do make mistakes sometimes...

Don't we all!! I got tripped up once when, without thinking, I referred to the Rialto Bridge as the Ponte Vecchio in a post. Just one of those brain not fully plugged in moments.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Don't we all!! I got tripped up once when, without thinking, I referred to the Rialto Bridge as the Ponte Vecchio in a post. Just one of those brain not fully plugged in moments.

Yes!! Two very iconic bridges in renowned places, I'm almost certain I have done the same thing when discussing Italy, and I begin to think of being there, kind of forgetting what I'm saying, as I imagine in my mind being back there.

That....and I read a lot of posts on the boards, this is one of our busiest port boards, and so factor in some human error, it's one of the reasons I often lurk in the background and pop in when it seems like we have an urgent situation (not often) or, I might be able to help, but that's usually already happening. 🙂 Everyone on this board is always on it. However, with the shopping queries, I'm not usually going to sit out those... 😉 ...unless it's for....?? I don't know. If I can stuff it in my bag and it's Italian, I'll buy it.🤣

There are some folks that do not like Venice.  But this traveler (and his DW) love the place and have been there many times (from cruises or just extended land driving trips).   All I can say to the OP is that 1 night in Venice is better then zero nights :).  As to where to stay, since we are only talking 1 night, we agree with those who suggest the area around the Piazzale Roma.  One other place (right in that square) that we like is called Ca Doge...which is more like an inn then a hotel.   Ca Doge is probably the closest hotel/inn to the People Mover station.  You can also get to the port, from the P. Roma, via a land taxi.  There are always some taxis in that area and you might be able to join with others and only pay 5 Euros per person to go about 1 mile to the port.  Some cruise lines will fun a free shuttle between the Piazzale Roma and the port, but despite having been on 5 different lines that went into Venice we have yet to find such a shuttle.  But the manager of Ca Doge told us it was so...so it must be so :).  That being said, it is Italy!

Hank

The location after researching seems to be perfect for 1 night. After a 6 hour train ride from Cinque Terre I want to be able to drop our luggage and begin sightseeing. It appears that we can take the vaporettos from St Lucia train station to steps to our hotel. Piazzale Roma, just steps from the hotel. The day we board we plan to take the vaporettos  in the morning to Burano and have the hotel hold our bags and check in to our cruise late afternoon. Been to Venice several times but always missed the outer islands. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, luv2travel90266 said:

The day we board we plan to take the vaporettos  in the morning to Burano and have the hotel hold our bags and check in to our cruise late afternoon. Been to Venice several times but always missed the outer islands. Thanks everyone for the suggestions. 

If you go to Burano, don't miss the opportunity to visit Torcello. It's close -- and it's an amazing place. Almost deserted now, but it's where Venice got its start.

It is possible to take the Vaporetto #1 or #2 from in front of the train station to Piazale Roma, but you might consider that it is just one stop.  Many folks simply walk from the station to the P. Roma area, although that does mean dragging your luggage (and yourself) over the large pedestrian bridge that crosses the Grand Canal from the train station side over to the P. Roma.  But if you enjoy walking and can roll your luggage you will be fine.  Also keep in mind that unless you plan on purchasing a timed Vaporetto Pass (such as the 24 hour pass) it would cost you 7.50 Euros per person for that short 2 min vaporetto ride.

Hank

Thank you. Hoping I can keep the luggage at one bag each so might do the bridge. We do plan to buy the 48 hr Vaporetto card as I have never been to Murano or Burano on previous trips to Venice. Can you confirm the time begins from the first use or does the day end at midnight regardless of the 1st use?

• Like 1

Based on other threads, we saw great reviews for Hotel Olimpia and decided to book our "1 night" there as well.  Seemed to be a good balance of proximity to embarkation the following day, not having to drag luggage too far after getting off the airport bus, and reasonable walking proximity to everything else - which we do not mind at all.

• Like 1