San Gervasio Mayan ruins

moobear67

I'm interested in visiting the San Gervasio Mayan ruins and having a knowledgable tour guide while there. We do not want to do a ship excursion. Has anyone done this on their own? Do you recommend taking a taxi and paying a guide while there (I believe you can do that...not sure), or are there private tour companies that will take you there and give you a tour, and then take you other places, like the beach? (I've been to Buccano's Beach Club...would love to do that again). Thanks!

Viator runs a couple of excursions with guides.

https://www.viator.com/Cozumel-attractions/San-Gervasio-Ruins/d632-a1021

I think there are people on site with information as well.  So you could do a taxi for around $60 per taxi up to 4 people (3 hours max) than have the driver drop you off at the beach of your choice.

Here is a quick overview

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Gervasio_(Maya_site)

https://www.cozumelparks.com/en/san-gervasio-eng/

If you google further I know I have found self-guided walk descriptions previously.

We went several years ago with a driver from ToursPlaza. If you know where you want to go you can get a taxi at dispatch as Crew suggests, there is a price listed on the board for a return trip with waiting.

We enjoyed an hour there but be pre-warned the ruins are very humble compared to the mainland ruins.  A guide is extra to the admission at the site but only takes you round the main buildings I believe. This could be useful if you want more depth.You are given a map and description with your entrance fee (paid in two installments, unless it has changed) and we just did a self-guided tour and enjoyed the walk throughout the jungle to the outlying structures. Be sure to take water AND BUG SPRAY!

Buccanos is good but we don’t like their pricing policy for cruisers so only go on land visits.

Edited by c-leg5

In my opinion, I wouldn't bother going to San Gervasio if they were giving out free donuts.  It is very underwhelming.  It looked like an abandoned gas station that the weeds and vegetation were about to reclaim.  Unless you are a Mayan history and culture buff I think it would be very disappointing.

Had to search current photos of San Gervasio as "abandoned gas station" does not reflect my memories of seven years ago.  Pictures I found from 2018 and 2019 show a rustic but well-kept site, which is what I had experienced.  Not challenging someone else's perspective, just sharing my own.

Wife and I took a taxi from the pier.  We hired a guide once we got to San Gervasio.  There were signs and descriptions displayed at the different areas, but my wife prefers to interact and ask questions.  Enjoyed it immensely.  This is definitely not the scale of something like Tulum or Chichen Itza, but was a historically significant part of the civilization.  So if you want the grandeur, go to the mainland (which I encourage).  If you want a peek at specific customs and beliefs, San Gervasio has my endorsement.

Back on subject.  Took a taxi, hired a guide on-site, then taxied back to a beach.  It was simple and inexpensive.  That is my recommendation.

• Like 1