Celebrating the Holidays on Windstar

jagger16

Hi. We always cruise over Christmas or New Year’s but never on Windstar. We have cruised on Windstar before (and Star Legend when it was Seabourn Legend) so we are totally familiar with small ship cruising. We like it very much. Just wondering what the holidays feel like on Windstar. We May do the New Year’s cruise on Star Pride in 2020. Thank you.

We cruised the Panama Canal on Wind Star over the New Years holiday 2015. We actually boarded on 12/27 for 10 days. If I remember correctly they passed out noise makers and hats for the new year and had some  decorations up. Sadly I don’t think we stayed up until midnight 🤪 We did have a lovely cruise. 

Edited by Ski Mom 2

I’ve posted here about our Windstar thanksgiving. We were in French Polynesia. They pulled off a reasonable dinner - turkey and all the trimmings. The pumpkin pie defeated them. For us thanksgiving is all about family but we had a great time at our table with some of our new Windstar family. We were suitably sated and complained (In a jovial way) that the many Canadians on board had two thanksgivings that year. Very subdued, but they truly tried and succeeded. 

We were on the Windsurf for NYE 2018. Although we left the ship for the Foxys New Years Eve party on Jost Van Dyke, the ship was had a night of festivities planned....big party, champagne toast, countdown, etc. Decorated christmas trees were still up at a few spots around the ship as well.

Thank you for the information. Glad to hear the ship is decorated.  Not a deal breaker but a nice festive touch. 

Minidonuts - I found your post before your reply and I have to admit I had FOMO.  NYE at Foxy's must have been incredible!

Is there a way to figure out what day is the Beach BBQ day?  We like to plan private excursions so we would want to avoid that day for our own plans.

Jagger 16,

Based on your itinerary, your beach BBQ will likely be in Virgin Gorda.  Looks like you’ll be spending NYE in St Barth which is great but can be a costly undertaking if you go ashore.  In any event you will have great fireworks provided by Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich who throws a huge bash on his 600 foot Mega Yacht Eclipse in St Barth on NYE. Enjoy

13 hours ago, jagger16 said:

Minidonuts - I found your post before your reply and I have to admit I had FOMO.  NYE at Foxy's must have been incredible!

If your timing ever places you there on JVD for the party definitely go. Very festive and quite a blast!  We decided to stay on JVD for 5 nights for the NYE party again this year and then fly from Tortola to SXM to catch the Windsurf afterwards.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2019 at 6:19 AM, Misty Morning said:

Jagger 16,

Based on your itinerary, your beach BBQ will likely be in Virgin Gorda.  Looks like you’ll be spending NYE in St Barth which is great but can be a costly undertaking if you go ashore.  In any event you will have great fireworks provided by Russian billionaire Roman Abramovich who throws a huge bash on his 600 foot Mega Yacht Eclipse in St Barth on NYE. Enjoy

The Wind Surf appears to spend Christmas morning at JVD, re-positioning to VG in time for dinner.  BBQ that evening and The Baths the next morning?

1 hour ago, Chipshot from Michigan said:

The Wind Surf appears to spend Christmas morning at JVD, re-positioning to VG in time for dinner.  BBQ that evening and The Baths the next morning?

Deck BBQ will likely be on the 24th when you spend the night in JVD. You’ll spend the following day on JVD and then sail to VG at 3pm and then have beach BBQ in VG the following day on the 26th

5 hours ago, Misty Morning said:

Deck BBQ will likely be on the 24th when you spend the night in JVD. You’ll spend the following day on JVD and then sail to VG at 3pm and then have beach BBQ in VG the following day on the 26th

The Wind Surf departs VG at 5:00PM on the 26th, so a beach BBQ that day would have to be lunch.

https://www.windstarcruises.com/cruise/itinerary-ports/caribbean/yachtsmans-caribbean/?id=152&sid=3050