Where is everyone?

jag60uk

When I approached our TA about availability of V5 suites on deck 6 on the November 28th Leeward Islands cruise on Sojourn, I was surprised to be told that nearly every suite was still available. Is that normal at this time of the year? Can anyone explain why this should be the case? And has anyone sailed on a not very full ship and, if so, what was it like? Thanks in anticipation of your answers.

At least as far as the US travelers are concerned, because the 28th is Thanksgiving (last Thursday in November) travel that week tends to be mostly domestic - people traveling to and from “home” for the the holiday. The week after Thanksgiving is one of the slowest travel periods each year in the US as many Americans are recovering from Thanksgiving and starting to gear up for a Christmas. Not too many are interested in a Caribbean vacation during that period.. That said, it is also possible many on your cruise booked a GTY and so there will be  numerous unassigned suites. 

That previously was one of the Cuba itineraries.  Many cancelled when the itineraries were changed due to the Trump administrations travel ban. One of the reasons the stock plummeted yesterday. Carnival loosing many millions of dollars across all lines. 

If Seabourn has lots of suites available (doubtful due to GTYs), they will sell them off cheaply at the last minute.  It might not be discounted in your market, but they will often sell to the European market (or another market) at a very low price.  They also heavily market to interline industries (airlines employees, etc).  Just ask around onboard and see how many ex-pilots and flight attendants are onboard.  You will be surprised.  

I know that I am not interested in a Caribbean itinerary.  Perhaps its just me, but I picture it being more of a party atmosphere than I am comfortable with.  I also get really tired of the last minute discounting.  Perhaps that is just me as well, but I would like to see discounts offered first to those who sign up early or who have cruised with Seabourn previously.  Perhaps I am just a bit cranky this morning while watching the news.  

5 hours ago, SLSD said:

I know that I am not interested in a Caribbean itinerary.  Perhaps its just me, but I picture it being more of a party atmosphere than I am comfortable with.  I also get really tired of the last minute discounting.  Perhaps that is just me as well, but I would like to see discounts offered first to those who sign up early or who have cruised with Seabourn previously.  Perhaps I am just a bit cranky this morning while watching the news.  

Would you believe we cannot get any TV as we sit in St. John’s Newfoundland? We leave this afternoon. Not happy to have to be reading it.

Back to the Caribbean Cruise...we did a two week one some years ago. It wasn’t a party boat, just warmer weather. It you had the time and the price was right, I would go. 

14 hours ago, texanaust said:

If Seabourn has lots of suites available (doubtful due to GTYs), they will sell them off cheaply at the last minute.  It might not be discounted in your market, but they will often sell to the European market (or another market) at a very low price.  They also heavily market to interline industries (airlines employees, etc).  Just ask around onboard and see how many ex-pilots and flight attendants are onboard.  You will be surprised.  

Yes, I have met quite a few pilots (mostly retired) and flight attendants over the years on Seabourn and have kept in touch with a few of them.  Interline discounts are usually available on a lot of cruises early on, not just last minute.

In my experience, no matter how poorly a cruise seems to be selling, the ship will mostly sail out almost full, with interlines, consolidators, family & friends (apparently free or heavily discounted rates, but usually available quite last minute), and non-revs such as corporate, contractors, and consultants, etc.