Cruising with a 15 month old - car seat??

jtdlc

We’ve cruised many times, but never with a 15 month old. My only question is about traveling when we get off at the ports. We are only getting off at one of the ports (Cozumel) this time. We’d like to go to Mr. Sanchos but I have no idea how the car seat thing works. From what I’ve read there is not solution. We either 1. Bring a car seat but risk the chance of not even using it because most taxis don’t even have seat belts, 2. Take a larger shuttle bus (there are none to Mr. Sanchos, 3. Stay within walking distance, 4. Take a chance and hold her on our lap, or 5. Don’t go. Does anyone have any personal experience with this? Any ideas or suggestions? I’m not going to sweat it. This isn’t something we are going to panic over, but I’d love any tips I can get! Thank you!!!

I would do #1 or #3.  When the kids were that young we always brought the car seat (or bought one when we arrived at destination).  

I hear some have issues with the combo stroller/carseat things, but this might be a real good time for one of those.   

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jtdlc said:

We’ve cruised many times, but never with a 15 month old. My only question is about traveling when we get off at the ports. We are only getting off at one of the ports (Cozumel) this time. We’d like to go to Mr. Sanchos but I have no idea how the car seat thing works. From what I’ve read there is not solution. We either 1. Bring a car seat but risk the chance of not even using it because most taxis don’t even have seat belts, 2. Take a larger shuttle bus (there are none to Mr. Sanchos, 3. Stay within walking distance, 4. Take a chance and hold her on our lap, or 5. Don’t go. Does anyone have any personal experience with this? Any ideas or suggestions? I’m not going to sweat it. This isn’t something we are going to panic over, but I’d love any tips I can get! Thank you!!!

You named all the options.  What is your comfort level?  

33 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

You named all the options.  What is your comfort level?  

Honestly, I have no idea. As of right now, I feel super uncomfortable letting her ride without a car seat. Then I started thinking about what the heck I do with a car seat once we are on the beach! It’s a lot to think about. My goal is to just enjoy and be in the moment, so I’m trying to not let it stress me out. I understand we could get there and have a great taxi on the way there, but not on the way back or we could maybe not even find a good one with belts. 

18 minutes ago, clo said:

OP - Welcome to cruise critic!

The post clo recommended is on the Family Cruises board which might be extremely helpful to you with any and all concerns about traveling with a toddler:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/28-family-cruises/

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, capriccio said:

The post clo recommended is on the Family Cruises board which might be extremely helpful to you with any and all concerns about traveling with a toddler:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/28-family-cruises/

I was so worried about posting because there are some nasty people out there! Thanks for the warm welcome and help! Traveling parents gotta stick together! I’m new here and still figuring it all out. That is going to be so helpful! Thank again so much!

2 minutes ago, capriccio said:

BTW, I'm clueless how to search here.  I did this on Google.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, jtdlc said:

Honestly, I have no idea. As of right now, I feel super uncomfortable letting her ride without a car seat. Then I started thinking about what the heck I do with a car seat once we are on the beach! It’s a lot to think about. My goal is to just enjoy and be in the moment, so I’m trying to not let it stress me out. I understand we could get there and have a great taxi on the way there, but not on the way back or we could maybe not even find a good one with belts. 

I haven't ever seen a nice taxi on Cozumel.  It isn't even common to see people living there using car seats for their kids.  Quite frankly, I would see if you could arrange private transportation like Uber or wait.   

17 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

I haven't ever seen a nice taxi on Cozumel.  It isn't even common to see people living there using car seats for their kids.  Quite frankly, I would see if you could arrange private transportation like Uber or wait.   

Did you read the posts here?

22 hours ago, jtdlc said:

I was so worried about posting because there are some nasty people out there! Thanks for the warm welcome and help! Traveling parents gotta stick together! I’m new here and still figuring it all out. That is going to be so helpful! Thank again so much!

Use the car seat.  Life can change in an instant.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, clo said:

BTW, I'm clueless how to search here.  I did this on Google.

@clo

One of the many threads re Search on the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum:

How do I search within a forum to find a thread?

This particular one contains "How to..." info for desktops/laptops, mobiles, and iPads.

Kat

28 minutes ago, Host Kat said:

@clo

One of the many threads re Search on the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum:

How do I search within a forum to find a thread?

This particular one contains "How to..." info for desktops/laptops, mobiles, and iPads.

Kat

Thanks for that.  I'd tried putting words in that space and not getting anything.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Extra Kim said:

Graco Travel System.

20180725_142244.jpg

Wow, that’s awesome! It’s not too bulky for you? Do you take it to the beaches? How does it do? We have one, but I thought it would for sure be more trouble than an umbrella stroller. I love how it carries basically everything for you. 

We have had that on 5 cruises, two 7nts in the Caribbean, one 7nts in the Med, one Transatlantic 14nts and on the last one 10nts to Hawaii. We live in Sweden and have had long flights to all cruises except the one in the Med. I think that it's fantastic and we have been to beaches on all cruises. Only negative thing is that the baby seat have a hight and weight limit (13 kg), our daughter is 21 months old and so far she's under the limit but she is small. I hope that we still will be able to use it on our Dubai cruise in December.

We use a Stokke Prampack during the flights to protect it.

20180905_181426.jpg

Edited by Extra Kim

12 hours ago, Extra Kim said:

We have had that on 5 cruises, two 7nts in the Caribbean, one 7nts in the Med, one Transatlantic 14nts and on the last one 10nts to Hawaii. We live in Sweden and have had long flights to all cruises except the one in the Med. I think that it's fantastic and we have been to beaches on all cruises. Only negative thing is that the baby seat have a hight and weight limit (13 kg), our daughter is 21 months old and so far she's under the limit but she is small. I hope that we still will be able to use it on our Dubai cruise in December.

We use a Stokke Prampack during the flights to protect it.

20180905_181426.jpg

We were flying out of Stockholm to MXP on about Sept 4th.  Saw a family with a toddler packing the stroller in a pack like the one in your pic.  Would be a real coincidence if it were you!