Serenade - Boston - Embarkation

I will be going on Serenade in three weeks and I am wondering how the Facial Recognition and RCCL app are working for embarkation.

If you have gotten onboard in Boston, how did it go, were you able to walk right on as they say (obviously once they get Suites, Pinnacles, +'s, … done first).

Did you then get your Seapass card in your cabin when they opened?

How did it work charging drinks or making other purchases before the cabins were open?

Any other info you want to share would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

16 hours ago, mojomanny said:

I will be going on Serenade in three weeks and I am wondering how the Facial Recognition and RCCL app are working for embarkation.

If you have gotten onboard in Boston, how did it go, were you able to walk right on as they say (obviously once they get Suites, Pinnacles, +'s, … done first).

How did it work charging drinks or making other purchases before the cabins were open?

Thanks in advance!

Royal only cruises out of Boston for a very short time, once a year, so any info will not be recent.

I understand they only cruise out of Boston for a short while and this is the time Serenade is using Boston as a home port.

Last year they were using the old check-in process, this year they are using the new system.  I am just trying to see how it's working and how well it's been going.

4 minutes ago, mojomanny said:

I understand they only cruise out of Boston for a short while and this is the time Serenade is using Boston as a home port.

Last year they were using the old check-in process, this year they are using the new system.  I am just trying to see how it's working and how well it's been going.

You will see if it is using this procedure if during online check-in you will be asked to provide your picture.

We haven't done this out of Boston yet.

On 10/6/2019 at 5:01 PM, mojomanny said:

Thanks in advance!

We sail Serenade on Sunday.  We checked in through the app, including loading a picture and have expedited arrival and are staying in a suite.  Our set sail pass is in the app and our drink package is denoted on it, so we will just have them scan that when we get a drink.  As far as the rest of it, I will post after the cruise.

Thanks ReallyItsMema!

I am all checked in digitally but curious to know how it's working so I will be watching for your response.

BTW - there is currently a sale so check your Voom, Drink and Excursion packages, you might save some money.

• Like 1

We sailed last month and had a very quick an easy embarkation.  We did the online procedure and I think all we did was show our printed out set sail pass and passports.  From drop off to on board in about 10 minutes.  We did arrive at 12:45 so we had no crowds.

• Like 1

On 10/8/2019 at 3:11 PM, mojomanny said:

Thanks ReallyItsMema!

I am all checked in digitally but curious to know how it's working so I will be watching for your response.

BTW - there is currently a sale so check your Voom, Drink and Excursion packages, you might save some money.

Thanks again for posting. We got the Voom.

56 minutes ago, Quadsd said:

We sailed last month and had a very quick an easy embarkation.  We did the online procedure and I think all we did was show our printed out set sail pass and passports.  From drop off to on board in about 10 minutes.  We did arrive at 12:45 so we had no crowds.

Were sea pass cards at the cabins or did you get them at check in?

We sailed out of Boston on Serenade last month. We arrived at the port at 9:30 and were on board at lattetudes at 10:30. We are only gold and were in the first group to board. We only showed a printed set sail pass and passport  but did see others use the app  You show the set sail pass for drinks. The cards will be on your door when the cabins open up

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2019 at 3:11 PM, mojomanny said:

Thanks ReallyItsMema!

Just back from Serenade today.  Check in last week was easy.  We had expedited arrival and there was a separate line at security for expedited that then just merged in with the regular line as you got to the xray machine.  Guy at xray machine was not allowing any water or soda and was throwing away all single bottles people had, whether they were open or not.  When he saw our bag with our 12 bottles, he said they weren't allowed.  I told him the policy said they are, he said not this ship.  He then called over his supervisor who told him they were allowed as long as they were sealed.  People ahead of us weren't happy they had to throw out a few bottles before I challenged this guy.  Moved on to check in, told the lady who was directing that we had expedited, she said that it didn't matter and everyone was expedited????  Could be because it was early, was just 10 am, not sure.  Was directed to a woman with a tablet who looked at our passports and pictures we had uploaded.  Complimented us for actually taking the pictures correctly and sent us on our way.  Got to the lady directing those to chairs, there was one area that seemed to be for gold and first time cruisers.  She sent us to the first row that was for suites, pinnacle, platinum and up.  Some that came in after us were not very happy to go down to the end of this very long row.  One pinnacle couple would not go to the end and sat in the section behind us and then merged into the front row when boarding started.

• Thanks 1