Preferred Balcony? - SF to Alaska

CRG7

We are looking to do Carnival's round-trip cruise from San Francisco to Alaska next summer on the Miracle and will be booking a balcony room.

Which side of the ship would be preferred for the best viewing? Is there a floor that is best as well?

Itinerary:

San Francisco 

Juneau

Skagway

Icy Strait Point

Cruise Tracy Arm Fjord

Victoria 

San Francisco 

Thank you!

As commonly discussed here, the side doesn't matter. Most of the time you will not be in sight of land. Once into the "Inside Passage" areas, there will be scenery on both sides.

I would do a higher floor if possible, for better viewing. But that is true wherever we sail, not just Alaska.

I cannot really comment on a round trip cruise. In saying that, I was very disappointed in our starboard side deck 10 suite. Except for one port, anytime we were sitting on our balcony, which was only early morning and late afternoon/evening, we were staring at the dock. It was a southbound from Seward to Vancouver. Also, anytime we were cruising the Inside Passage, it was too dark to really enjoy the scenery. Luck of the draw, I guess. From what I've read while researching our next Alaska cruise, we cannot really predict which side will be the best. I was hoping to be able to look for wildlife while having balcony time.

Seward Dock View

7TDVbeW.jpg

Juneau Dock View

RUzv6Tj.jpg

Skagway Dock View

JCBIUis.jpg

Icy Strait Dock View

MCYs7lh.jpg

And finally a view of the harbor in Ketchikan. Radiance of the Seas on the left.

frvJXZ5.jpg

In Vancouver we did not have a lot of time sitting on the balcony but faced the dock again.

xVOLvbm.jpg

I did an experiment using one of the cruise ship tracking sites to watch one of the ships we may cruise on next. You can tell which way the ship is pointed when at dock.  https://www.livecruiseshiptracker.com/?p=885

There is really not much rhyme or reason which way the ship docks. It's most likely both harbormaster and ship captain that make the decision on the fly. You can look at your ships schedule to find out when it will be cruising the Inside Passage.

Edited by masterdrago

On of the things we planners agonize is tours, weather, deck/side of the ship.....

The reality if you are doing a roundtrip whatever side you get you get the other going back or in / out as the other ones noted.

Got to ask why you choose such a big round trip to SF and not Seattle or one way?  You aren't getting Glacier Bay, which I think is a bit of an oversight.

Thank you for the responses!

I know a RT itinerary makes it a little less important but was still interested in hearing thoughts.

We are looking at doing the Alaskan cruise as a honeymoon. The Glacier Bay options for July appear limited, unless I'm just not finding them - I saw a handful or less with NCL but we can do the 10-day Carnival for the same as a 7-day NCL... if I recall, the GB itineraries were one way, and airfare seems costly from the bit of searching I have done thus far.

Definitely open to suggestion but the SF trip has so far stood out as the best option.

3 hours ago, CRG7 said:

Thank you for the responses!

I know a RT itinerary makes it a little less important but was still interested in hearing thoughts.

We are looking at doing the Alaskan cruise as a honeymoon. The Glacier Bay options for July appear limited, unless I'm just not finding them - I saw a handful or less with NCL but we can do the 10-day Carnival for the same as a 7-day NCL... if I recall, the GB itineraries were one way, and airfare seems costly from the bit of searching I have done thus far.

Definitely open to suggestion but the SF trip has so far stood out as the best option.

RT out of Vancouver, also Vancouver with Gardens and Whistler IMHO is pretty nice, but also agree City by the Bay is awesome.  

Surprised you aren't finding Princess cruises RT that does GB, Hubbard, College Fjord.  I'd say Tracy Arm and Icy are the least impressive, still pretty but just less so.