Wheelchair

Leeson112

No, HAL does not provide wheelchairs, unless it’s an emergency situation.

You can rent a wheelchair from Special Needs at Sea or ScootAround and they can deliver it to your cabin for your use for the length of your cruise.

Edited by FOPMan

As FOPman says, the rental companies deliver to your cabin. Your rental will not be in the terminal waiting for you. Consider contacting HAL Special Needs to arrange for wheelchair assistance at the terminal. Depending on where you're boarding, it can be a long time standing and/or a long distance to walk.

Are you sailing from Ft Lauderdale?  If so -- do what I do.  Our TA arranges through HAL for a wheelchair for me to get onto the ship (and off the ship).  I am met at the terminal door with a wheel chair so that I can go through security and check-in.  Then I am wheeled to the seating area to await boarding the ship.  When it is time to board, crew members come off the ship with wheelchairs to assist those of us who need them onto the ship.  We are wheeled right to our cabins.  Cabins on HAL ships are usually ready by boarding time at 11:30.

.... my elderly father needed a wheelchair for occasional use, usually on longer outings ashore but occasionally for a few extra laps around the promenade deck. we found we could buy a standard (nothing fancy) wheelchair of the kind used at airports for less money than a 7-day rental. We would buy one before our outbound flight and donate it at the last port, depending on the location and need. In many developing countries a modern, nearly-new wheelchair is a truly valuable donation. 

just an alternative idea.

I used a wheelchair before my hip replacement.  Needed it for boarding and disembarking.  I would slow people down too much otherwise.  I also requested a wheelchair in airports for the long trek between terminals.  If not for that, I would have missed a lot of transfers.

During the cruise, I just hobbled along as best as I could.

I also had some extra cash available for tips.