One day to Siam Reap from Bangkok

Kanitkar

I cannot advise you on the logistics, I have visited both by land.   If you have already visited Bangkok and its environs I think Angkor Wat is a great place to visit.  If it is your first time in Bangkok, there may well be plenty of other options for your overnight.  

If you really want to visit Angkor Wat, a week or so in Cambodia would be the most relaxed way(oh I am not sure if I should say that when on CC!)

6 hours ago, Kanitkar said:

Hello, we will be on 15 day cruise from Singapore with two days - Dec 24 and 25 in Bangkok.  Would like to join a group (or on our own) fly to REP for a day trip to Agkor Wat.  Any ideas or suggestions?  Thanks.

On our 12 day Singapore to Hong Kong cruise in March, we had an active roll call, but no one mentioned Angkor Wat.  I looked into it briefly but decided it wouldn't work for us plus we hadn't been to Bangkok before.  Several people on our cruise did spend the night at a hotel in Bangkok.  It is a 2-3 hour drive (depending on traffic) from the port to Bangkok. 

You could probably arrange a flight from Bangkok and a hotel in Siem Reap and Angkor Wat tickets, but I'd suggest rejoining the cruise in Sihanoukville to give you extra travel time.  You won't miss anything by not seeing Sihanoukville and it would be a depressing let down after Siem Reap. 

Another thing you will need is a land based Cambodian visa.  I wasn't clear whether you could do that as an electronic visa or not.  I know you can get it directly from the Cambodian embassy in Long Beach, CA.  The Cambodian visa NCL gets for you is $89 pp and is only good for the port of Sihanoukville - not the airports.  You can also get that visa from the embassy instead of from NCL. 

The Asia ports of call forum was very helpful for us when looking for a tour operator in Koh Samui.  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/43-asia/

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2019 at 6:36 PM, herdingdogmom said:

On our 12 day Singapore to Hong Kong cruise in March, we had an active roll call, but no one mentioned Angkor Wat.  I looked into it briefly but decided it wouldn't work for us plus we hadn't been to Bangkok before.  Several people on our cruise did spend the night at a hotel in Bangkok.  It is a 2-3 hour drive (depending on traffic) from the port to Bangkok. 

You could probably arrange a flight from Bangkok and a hotel in Siem Reap and Angkor Wat tickets, but I'd suggest rejoining the cruise in Sihanoukville to give you extra travel time.  You won't miss anything by not seeing Sihanoukville and it would be a depressing let down after Siem Reap. 

Another thing you will need is a land based Cambodian visa.  I wasn't clear whether you could do that as an electronic visa or not.  I know you can get it directly from the Cambodian embassy in Long Beach, CA.  The Cambodian visa NCL gets for you is $89 pp and is only good for the port of Sihanoukville - not the airports.  You can also get that visa from the embassy instead of from NCL. 

The Asia ports of call forum was very helpful for us when looking for a tour operator in Koh Samui.  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/43-asia/

Thank you.  Just saw this.  We booked flights from BKK to REP and will get evisa at REP.  NCL didn't like us getting off at Bangkok and rejoining in Sihanoukville - being in two different countries (and visa requirements), we decided not to try that.

I'm still looking for groups setting up their own shore excursions in Penang, etc.

4 hours ago, Kanitkar said:

I'm still looking for groups setting up their own shore excursions in Penang, etc.

Ideally you could set such things up on Roll Call, but the Jade December 21 has no members.  15 day cruise selling insides for $679 pp, not bad for Christmas and New Years cruises.

3 hours ago, mugtech said:

Ideally you could set such things up on Roll Call, but the Jade December 21 has no members.  15 day cruise selling insides for $679 pp, not bad for Christmas and New Years cruises.

Wrong - this roll call is very active:

image.png.e8943977680bbfe4e796a3413ceacfce.png

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/270-norwegian-jade-roll-calls/

I totally get wanting to go  to Siem Reap.  But I might suggest staying in Bangkok. It would be a lot of money for a very little time, and Angkor Wat deserves at least 2 solid days to explore.  Flights will be expensive, plus you will have to pay for a Cambodian visa.  If you've seen Bangkok before you can consider flying up to Chiang Mai for a night, or down to one of the islands for a night.  Flights and hotel obviously at your own cost.  

There are a few nice places within a day trip outside of Bangkok, too. 

Edited to see that you have decided to go to Siem Reap. Enjoy! I loved the ruins. 

Edited by anaslile