How to keep belongings safe at the beach?

dancingfish

I was trying to figure out what to pack as far as a beach tote bag (to hold towels, watershoes, water etc) and then I started to think that maybe I needed to be concerned about leaving money and phones and cameras at the beach??? Anyone use waterproof bags for phones and cash? or am I being overly cautious?

I don't bring any valuables to the beach - no phone, camera, etc.  Money, ID and Key Card go in a zip lock bag in the pocket of my swim suit - even if the bag leaks I've never had a bar tender or cab driver refuse damp bills. 😉

If you do bring your phone, camera, tablet, etc. I would pair up and ensure that someone stays with your bags all of the time.  There are lockers at some of the beach clubs (Paradise, Money Bar, etc.)

We pack our things in zipped beach bags with inside zip pockets.  Cash and phones go inside one of the inner zipped pockets and we use one of those coiled combination bicycle locks to secure them to our lounge chairs.  Nobody is going to take time to unzip our bags, take out the tee shirts, towels, sun block, etc. to get to the zipped inside pockets in hopes that there might be something there of value.  The biggest risk is someone casually walking off with a bag which can't happen if they're attached to the chair via the bicycle cables. 

We bought some waterproof phone bags and fanny packs from Amazon.  The phone cases have a lanyard to go around your neck.  Used them both with no problems.  Kept money, etc in the fanny pack and it stayed 100% dry while climbing up Dunn River Falls in Jamaica.  A little dorky looking but peace of mind.

3 hours ago, dancingfish said:

What an inventive idea @Lifes a Beach

Thanks I'll pass your kind words to my wife who actually came up with the idea.  I did forget to mention that we always carry two ship towels with us and once the bag is secured to the chair via the cable we cover them with the other towel.  I'm sorry but if I can make it more difficult to take my bag than someone else's I win. 

Edited by lifes-a-beach

• 2 weeks later...

We have been cruising for 32 years. I'm sure many will think we are just foolish. But, we have always taken our cameras phones cash and such and just let them in our beach bag on a lounge chair.  Never had a thing taken.  I'm sure people have had things taken, but I honestly can't remember hearing any stories of it. 

On 10/27/2019 at 8:31 AM, satbeachbill said:

We use a Kyss Bag. Big enough to tote your stuff, yet  lockable and safe.

I haven't used it on a cruise yet, but I have a Loctote bag which is similar. I can fasten it to a chair near the water if both of us ( my mom and I ) go into the water.