Sagrda Familia and Sant Pau Visits

DeepFreeze63

Just back from our cruise plus a day on our own in Barcelona; want to report on our great experience in Barcelona that might appeal to even those that have been to Barcelona several times.

We have been to Barcelona maybe five times. Once for a week in the 1980s and several  one- days with Regent. In my youth (ancient times), I scaled the first tower of Sagrada Familia; but our Regent excursions only toured the outside. We wanted to see inside. So:

I got timed -entry tickets from the Sagrada Familia web site for 12:30 on the day of disembarkation. Tickets become available about 2 months in advance. I booked the tickets with an English Guided tour included (see experience below).

Disembarkation was fabulous. Luggage for our “independent arrangements” was dockside before 8:30; easily retrievable; porter available (we had 4 big bags and 2 carry-ons). Taxis just outside of terminal baggage room with larger size taxis plentiful.  Fare rate posted on window of taxi with supplements for cruise port and for luggage.

Stayed at Ayre Hotel Rosellon at 1 block from Sagrada Familia. Very nice, modern hotel with SPECTACULAR roof top bar – I felt like I reach out and touch the towers. Sat there in awe in the late afternoon and watched the cranes lower really big pieces of granite (?) into place on the towers.

Advance tickets still require you go through rigid security (like the airport but shoes allowed on). We got in line and arrived at security entry at about 12:13 (for 12:30 entry) and we told to get out of line and wait. Lesson Learned: line moves fast; once inside, you can stay as long as you wish (I think a two hours or so visit is plenty for most people).

I had brought our receipt for the tickets – NOT sufficient! Bring the E-ticket (or a paper copy). We had a 5 to 10 minute wait before security while our receipt was converted to a ticket. KEEP the ticket throughout the visit.

We wandered inside before our English tour began. This is NOT “Another Bloody Church” – we were in AWE! Clean, neat, vast, modern and something interesting everywhere I looked. Bring binoculars.

Our 55 minute, English Guided Tour was “okay”. Guide spoke good English and we were provided whisperers. But, I’d now recommend using the Audio Tour.

We subsequently visited the Sant Pau Art Nouveau site – about 3 blocks from Sagrada Familia up a pedestrian street. Sant Pau is a renovated hospital site of about 9 buildings, which as they advertize are “jewels”. Bring your best camera; weather permitting, you won’t believe the photo ops. See www.santpau.barcelona.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2019 at 8:02 AM, DeepFreeze63 said:

Just back from our cruise plus a day on our own in Barcelona; want to report on our great experience in Barcelona that might appeal to even those that have been to Barcelona several times.

We have been to Barcelona maybe five times. Once for a week in the 1980s and several  one- days with Regent. In my youth (ancient times), I scaled the first tower of Sagrada Familia; but our Regent excursions only toured the outside. We wanted to see inside. So:

I got timed -entry tickets from the Sagrada Familia web site for 12:30 on the day of disembarkation. Tickets become available about 2 months in advance. I booked the tickets with an English Guided tour included (see experience below).

Disembarkation was fabulous. Luggage for our “independent arrangements” was dockside before 8:30; easily retrievable; porter available (we had 4 big bags and 2 carry-ons). Taxis just outside of terminal baggage room with larger size taxis plentiful.  Fare rate posted on window of taxi with supplements for cruise port and for luggage.

Stayed at Ayre Hotel Rosellon at 1 block from Sagrada Familia. Very nice, modern hotel with SPECTACULAR roof top bar – I felt like I reach out and touch the towers. Sat there in awe in the late afternoon and watched the cranes lower really big pieces of granite (?) into place on the towers.

Advance tickets still require you go through rigid security (like the airport but shoes allowed on). We got in line and arrived at security entry at about 12:13 (for 12:30 entry) and we told to get out of line and wait. Lesson Learned: line moves fast; once inside, you can stay as long as you wish (I think a two hours or so visit is plenty for most people).

I had brought our receipt for the tickets – NOT sufficient! Bring the E-ticket (or a paper copy). We had a 5 to 10 minute wait before security while our receipt was converted to a ticket. KEEP the ticket throughout the visit.

We wandered inside before our English tour began. This is NOT “Another Bloody Church” – we were in AWE! Clean, neat, vast, modern and something interesting everywhere I looked. Bring binoculars.

Our 55 minute, English Guided Tour was “okay”. Guide spoke good English and we were provided whisperers. But, I’d now recommend using the Audio Tour.

We subsequently visited the Sant Pau Art Nouveau site – about 3 blocks from Sagrada Familia up a pedestrian street. Sant Pau is a renovated hospital site of about 9 buildings, which as they advertize are “jewels”. Bring your best camera; weather permitting, you won’t believe the photo ops. See www.santpau.barcelona.

Here's a direct link to the English website: 

https://www.santpaubarcelona.org/en/visits-sant-pau-art-nouveau-site

Both are stunning places to see. I'd heard of Sagrada Familia obviously, but the stained glass was something else. And I only found out about Sant Pau from a friend - it's a hidden jewel. It was so peaveful when I was there, and so beautiful. Really worth visiting.

Quick question. Do you need any ID with the e ticket? I have the paper copy of the ticket and downloaded it on my phone but I wondered if my USA drivers license is ok if ID needed. I hate bringing a passport around. We will be there on November 3rd.