Main Dining that Bad?

I too agree that you have to consider how many people they are preparing for in a certain time period. We do think other cruise lines have had better food...BUT cetainly do not think RCI's is bad and would choose not eat in the dining room because of this. We love to dine, but have never said..."that's plain awful, I never want to eat in the dining room again". Certainly, some items are bland, but others were great. We always choose to eat at the alternate dining atleast once during our cruise. We make reservations twice, if we don't care for table mates, not because of bad food.

Yes, you can either call or go by Portifino's/Chops to make reservations for the day and time you want. I do suggest eating at Portifino's atleast once on your cruise, but go and enjoy your dining room experience and don't go in with a negative attitude and it will be even better. Have a great cruise! :)

Shirley, I worked in food service also. School hot lunch program, (lol)so I agree anything I don't have to prep and clean up after is great for me. Seriously tho, we have done 6 RCI cruises and have found the food good. It is presented beautifully. And the deserts are very good. After 6 cruises I find the food is not important any more. Meeting so many nice people, seeing new things and great shows are just a few other things I enjoy about cruising. Enjoy your cruise Margarita please.

Hi, Janice. I worked in a school lunch program too. I've also worked at a fine hotel banquet dept and at a medical facility. My dh and I go into the dining room understanding this is banquet food and not what you would find at a white tablecloth (read: fine dining) restaurant and we've rarely been disappointed. On those rare occassions when we have received something not to our liking, we were immediately offered something else. And that substitute has always been served promptly and with a smile. I agree with Sylia that you are not going to get truffles and caviar on RC, but what they do offer is usually very good. I know I have never gone hungry on a cruise! lol

I'm always amazed when people complain about the experience in main dining. I don't live in a major metro area, but big enough to have most of the chains, and numerous local competitors, and I think a good way to rate dining is to try to make comparisons to chains everyone knows. I've seen negative posts compare the food to Dennys, to which I'd say no way, though I have no problem with Dennys when I want a inexpensive meal.

So from a food standpoint, no you're not going to get a Ruth's Chris steak, but I would put the beef entrees somewhere in the range of Outback, the seafood similar to Red Lobster, and the pasta dishes something like Olive Garden, however with smaller entree portions, but often more interesting presentations.

From the standpoint of dining experience (and let me say I've never experienced a table with bad service) I can't think of a chain, or any restaurant in my area for that matter, with such attentive service and pleasant overall experience. I live in an area with a major university, and occasionally attend dinners put on by food/hotel majors as practice (and they are getting graded) on their ability to provide a fine dining experience, and they are not the equal of what I've come to expect from RC.

Of course, a cruise diner needs to realize that they are in a banquet situation and not a small restaurant situation, and I think from that standpoint they do an amazing job in main dining.

Some of the complainers must have great restaurants where they live!

The food is fine....definitely above average...but not a 5 star restaurant. I am just so happy to be away with my family...no cooking...no cleaning up...no shopping and NO LAUNDRY.

It's pretty, the serever is usually trying very hard to make it special and the whole room is filled with people who have been waiting for this trip and are excited to be on vacation.

So what if the food isn't perfect....it's better than fine.

(I worked in Manhattan for 10 years so I've been to some very nice restaurants)

Sit back and enjoy it all.

I just got back from cruising on the Splendour and I have never had a better dining experience. The food in the dining room was superb and the waitstaff was out of this world! The food in the Windjammer was mediocre at best.

My family thought the food on Navigator and Monarch was YUM! The dining room was a treat, and the buffet is very good and set up so well. Try the chilled fruit soups, scallop risotto, I could go on and on.

Our experience on the Diamond Princess was quite different-we would check out the dinner menu and not be able to find a single thing that enticed us...

I haven't done a Chops or Portofinos yet, but I've found that the main dining room has been really great. I tend to stay away from steaks since I can get really good ones here at home, but my DH always orders one at some point and then gets disappointed. I tend to try something different everyday and have found some really great fish entrees and even vegetarian entrees that were IMO superb! The waiters have been more than accomodating for us and will bring DH something else when his steak isn't up to par and one night I asked for extra shrimp and they brought out...I'm not kidding...a HUGE BOWL of extra shrimp. I was certainly stuff that night.

I'm hoping that Empress will have at least the same level of food as we found on Vision & Rhapsody...or better :) (I even thought Rhapsody's buffet to be slightly better than Vision's!)

we were on serenade of seas the 1st week of dec. 05. I had no complaints with food. Our head waiter and asst. set the mood for the evening. They were great. Very helpful entertaining and just all around great.

I agree everyones opion of food taste quality is different and there will be some one on the cruise that doesn't care for everything including me. I always find something since I always gain a few pounds.

Go have fun eating is not the whole cruise.

just linda

So from a food standpoint, no you're not going to get a Ruth's Chris steak, but I would put the beef entrees somewhere in the range of Outback, the seafood similar to Red Lobster, and the pasta dishes something like Olive Garden, however with smaller entree portions, but often more interesting presentations.

Excellent points of comparison. It's so unfortunate that on a Caribbean cruise, fresh fish can't be obtained. I would put the quality a little higher, Outback, Red Lobster and Olive Garden are a little to low rent IMHO. Think of a Hilton or Marriott catered wedding. Don't look for fresh and don't expect a $75.00 per person restaruant

How about eating only desserts, if you don't like the food. You can have as many as you want! However, take loose fitting clothes for the end. Last crusie, my friend & I could not decide on which dessert so we told our wonderful waiter to pick. He brought us 3 each & we HAD to eat them. Last night of the cruise, I had to lay on the bed to zip my pants. Taking bigger clothes for the end this cruise.

RCI food in the dining room is OK. Our dining experience on Voyager last year was fine. Is it as good as years ago? -NO...the food on my previous cruises-'90 & '93 - was vastly superior. This is offset by today's cruises being less expensive than years ago.

Yes, you can order additional appetizers, entrees...great for trying things you might not order at home :).

How about eating only desserts, if you don't like the food. You can have as many as you want! However, take loose fitting clothes for the end. Last crusie, my friend & I could not decide on which dessert so we told our wonderful waiter to pick. He brought us 3 each & we HAD to eat them. Last night of the cruise, I had to lay on the bed to zip my pants. Taking bigger clothes for the end this cruise.

I have a great pair of elastic waist travel pants. They don't wrinkle and I don't have to worry about that somewhat expanded waistline at the end of the cruise. Several websites have them, including lands end.

Thanks for all your helpful replies. We'll go with positive attitude, enjoy main dining, and try the specialty restaurants as well.

Just a personal opinion but, if you can't button your pants at the end of the cruise, maybe you were eating too much?? As someone who has battled weight gain their entire life, I can tell you that I've come to learn that enjoying good food does not mean you have to eat ALL of it.

We have always enjoyed our food on RCI. I always ask the waiter what they would suggest for the best food that evening, and have never been disappointed! They know what is the best of what is offered.

You will have a marvelous cruise with wonderful food. Go! Eat! Enjoy!

I agree 100% with your statement. Our waiter on Explorer in '04 was outstanding and was always ready with a suggestion each evening. I never regretted going with his recommendation and thought the food was pretty good considering they're serving 1000+ people at the same time.

Additionally, Portofino's was outstanding, well worth the $20.

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the food in the main dining room. We ate at Chops once for a change of pace. For us, the main difference was the service rather than the food. Service is better and more intimate at Chops. Quality of food is excellent both places.

Although I have to agree with the poster who said if I didn't have to buy it, prep it, cook it, serve it, and clean up after it, it's all great to me. :D

So if they serve you cold food, tought steaks, watery fish, etc. it's OK with you. What did you do in the food service industry - busboy?

I think Captain Crunch is right on target - a very good wedding reception in an upscale hotel is a good approximation, but with more attentive service with the cruise dining.

I have never had food on any cruise ship (16 cruises) that compared to the food served at both of my daughter's weddings which were held at a local country club.

So if they serve you cold food, tought steaks, watery fish, etc. it's OK with you. What did you do in the food service industry - busboy?

Woah, a little harsh, don't you think? Busboy? I think busgirl would be more appropriate, but not true either. I was a dishwasher as I worked my way up the kitchen ladder, though. I was a chef when I left the industry several years ago. I was being lighthearted in my reply. I cook and clean everyday for a husband and 4 children. Cruising is a wonderful break for me, and about the only time I get to eat a meal without jumping up 5 or 6 times to get something for someone else. Sorry I offended you with my good humor.

And no, those things would not be okay with me. And it is not in my experience in over 10 cruises. I'm sorry if that has been yours. However, that is no excuse to be insulting or abusive to me or anyone else.

I have never had food on any cruise ship (16 cruises) that compared to the food served at both of my daughter's weddings which were held at a local country club.

Your local country club is an upscale hotel? How interesting.

-Y

You're from New Jersey, it doesn't count. The food in New Jersey and New York is significantly better than the rest of the country. The rest of the country doesn't know pastrami or corned beef from bologna.

Woah, a little harsh, don't you think? Busboy? I think busgirl would be more appropriate, but not true either. I was a dishwasher as I worked my way up the kitchen ladder, though. I was a chef when I left the industry several years ago. I was being lighthearted in my reply. I cook and clean everyday for a husband and 4 children. Cruising is a wonderful break for me, and about the only time I get to eat a meal without jumping up 5 or 6 times to get something for someone else. Sorry I offended you with my good humor.

And no, those things would not be okay with me. And it is not in my experience in over 10 cruises. I'm sorry if that has been yours. However, that is no excuse to be insulting or abusive to me or anyone else.

You GO, girl!

I think part of the reason first-time cruisers expect 4 or 5 star dining in the dining room is because the decor, atmosphere and level of service make it seem so fancy! From what I've heard (I haven't cruised RCCL yet) the food quality level is like a nice family restaurant, but at most of those restaurants, the decor is much more casual than a cruiseship dining room, and you can wear pretty much whatever you want, while most people dress for dinner on cruises. So I understand people unfamiliar with cruising expecting upscale food from an upscale environment, even if it is too much to ask on such massive ships. Just my two cents.

Archived