Shanghai Overnight

Charlie'sPet

17 minutes ago, Charlie'sPet said:

Hello, I have a quick question. I'm looking at possibly doing the China/Japan cruise in March 2021. The itinerary has an overnight in Shanghai. Is it possible to spend that night off the ship? I'd be staying at a nearby hotel.

thanks.

CP

Sure, there is no curfew/the gangway stays open until departure the following day in Shanghai. Just a piece of advice; don't wander off the beaten path in that otherwise very interesting city

1 hour ago, Copper10-8 said:

Sure, there is no curfew/the gangway stays open until departure the following day in Shanghai. Just a piece of advice; don't wander off the beaten path in that otherwise very interesting city

It can be interesting to do so, though, during the day at least.  We got "lost" in the hutongs, but saw quite a different Shanghai there than the usual areas we traverse. This was a few years ago, so maybe now it wouldn't be a great idea?

1 hour ago, Charlie'sPet said:

Hello, I have a quick question. I'm looking at possibly doing the China/Japan cruise in March 2021. The itinerary has an overnight in Shanghai. Is it possible to spend that night off the ship? I'd be staying at a nearby hotel.

thanks.

CP

Yes, you can, but don't forget that the ship will be moored about 1 1/2 hrs from the Bund

I already know the hotel I'd be staying at and probably take taxi to/from the terminal. It's not in an area that would be unsafe for me to walk around. I appreciate all of these replies. I most likely would be a solo traveler so I'm very careful about where I venture out.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SilvertoGold said:

It can be interesting to do so, though, during the day at least.  We got "lost" in the hutongs, but saw quite a different Shanghai there than the usual areas we traverse. This was a few years ago, so maybe now it wouldn't be a great idea?

Last time I was there on Amsterdam in 2016, I wound up investigating six separate robbery (force or fear)/extortion incidents involving both passengers and crew who wound up in places they did not want to be

19 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Last time I was there on Amsterdam in 2016, I wound up investigating six separate robbery (force or fear)/extortion incidents involving both passengers and crew who wound up in places they did not want to be

Yikes.

Is that common in other ports?

16 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Yikes.

Is that common in other ports?

Depending on where you find yourself in the world, could be (Rio, Brasil and Callao, Peru come to mind, as do some African ports) however, it's the most I had to deal with during a single overnight. And please don't get me wrong, there is crime and "not a day at the beach" areas in most, if not all, big cities in the world, including the one I reside in. You just have to be aware of your surroundings, don't "advertise" yourself as a potential victim, read lots of "bling," and I, personally, would not start checking out alleys and/or look for situations, common sense indicates, could get you in hot water 

Edited by Copper10-8

11 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

Yes, you can, but don't forget that the ship will be moored about 1 1/2 hrs from the Bund

Are you sure it is that far?  Last couple of times we have taken the shuttle seems like it was closer to half an hour.  Most of the way was on a freeway and traffic was fairly light.

9 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

Are you sure it is that far?  Last couple of times we have taken the shuttle seems like it was closer to half an hour.  Most of the way was on a freeway and traffic was fairly light.

well, 45 with no traffic, but this is China, it can be busy..