Helicopter Flight and Volcano Walking Tour

As I watch & hear the news updates- my heart goes out to all those involved. Lives lost...  those injured... & those still unknown.. As I stare at the devastating images of spewing steam and ash, it certainly puts some realistic perspective on my own thoughts towards photographic opportunity.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Hawka said:

looks like you got in in time getting older slowly sadly its gone up 

We only found out today....... OMG......  ( as still at sea )

We were standing there Monday 2nd December......  Our Hearts go out the those who are now part of the island.....

and the family touch by this

Looked at the photos in disbelief, particularly the damaged chopper... just like ours....

Now I look at the photos with a different light.....

For Now Don and Magda.

Interestingly our pilot pointed out the shelter out with the instructions, if there is rumbling run to the chopper if he was  there or the shelter........

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

We only found out today....... OMG......  ( as still at sea )

We were standing there Monday 2nd December......  Our Hearts go out the those who are now part of the island.....

and the family touch by this

Looked at the photos in disbelief, particularly the damaged chopper... just like ours....

Now I look at the photos with a different light.....

For Now Don and Magda.

Interestingly our pilot pointed out the shelter out with the instructions, if there is rumbling run to the chopper if he was  there or the shelter........

I hope they made it to the shelter I hope they are still alive by some miracle glad you did get to see it though but seeing what's happened if I was in same positon as you I would be same with my feelings sorry to put a damper on your cruise my thoughts are with all affected by this as I think it will affect us all to be honest in some way or another

On 11/11/2019 at 8:02 PM, TylerRose said:

My husband is an avid photographer and it becomes his primary focus when we travel. We dock in Tauranga (Rotorua), NZ on Sat, Feb 22, 2020.  I am trying to decide if the White Island Helicopter Flight and Volcano Walking Tour are worthy of thier expense & truly offer a once in a lifetime experience.

I am also seeking recommendations for best photographic opportunities in our other ports (esp. wild life, nature, geographic, or local would be appreciated). We will be in Aukland 3 days precruise...  

Our ports in NZ include Aukland, Picton, Wellington, Akaroa (Christchurch), Port Chalmers, & Oban (Half-moon Bay).

Followed by Melbourne, Phillip Island (Victoria), Eden & Sydney.  ---Thanks in advance

After the tragedy yesterday, White Island is permanently closed.   Sad day

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Volcanic eruptions are unpredictable. White Island is in a direct line with the thermal area of Rotorua . If you want to check out what can happen when nature unleashes its fury ,  check out the Mt Tarawera eruption and the buried village , on google.