Rangiroa - the Blue Lagoon? Possible from the ship?

jka

Hello,

We're interested in a tour of the Blue Lagoon during our day in Rangiroa.  We're there from 8 - 5 but always like to be on board a few minutes early.  The one tour I found said - no cruise ship passengers.  Anyone have any suggestions of vendors that would take cruise passengers?

Thanks,

Nancy

2 hours ago, jka said:

Hello,

We're interested in a tour of the Blue Lagoon during our day in Rangiroa.  We're there from 8 - 5 but always like to be on board a few minutes early.  The one tour I found said - no cruise ship passengers.  Anyone have any suggestions of vendors that would take cruise passengers?

Thanks,

Nancy

Yes but there are some difficulties both reaching the provider and in getting a confirmation. Maybe the one tour you found was

with Pa'ati? It is supposed to be wonderful but the communication was very spotty. We were told we could get confirmation with 4 passengers and when I found others I never heard from Pa'ati again. But here is the email- it's supposed to be wonderful. Not a lot of snorkeling but beautiful scenery and a 1+ hour ride to and from. revaultleon@mail.pf

We're subsequently doing our 4th trip doing the Aquarium and Tiputa Pass in April. It's the same old same old but always enjoyable.

Nancy

Edited by Petoonya
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

Yes but there are some difficulties both reaching the provider and in getting a confirmation. Maybe the one tour you found was

with Pa'ati? It is supposed to be wonderful but the communication was very spotty. We were told we could get confirmation with 4 passengers and when I found others I never heard from Pa'ati again. But here is the email- it's supposed to be wonderful. Not a lot of snorkeling but beautiful scenery and a 1+ hour ride to and from. revaultleon@mail.pf

We're subsequently doing our 4th trip doing the Aquarium and Tiputa Pass in April. It's the same old same old but always enjoyable.

Nancy

The aquarium and Tiputa Pass are other snorkeling spots?  Do you use a particular vendor?  Thank you for responding!

Nancy

2 hours ago, jka said:

The aquarium and Tiputa Pass are other snorkeling spots?  Do you use a particular vendor?  Thank you for responding!

Nancy

Have used several vendors over the years for the Aquarium and Tiputa Pass most recently Rangiroa Plongee, Y Aka Plongee, and the 6 Passengers. They were all good for different reasons. This next April we're using 6 Passengers as they only required four passengers to confirm.

About the Blue Lagoon tour not wanting to take cruise passengers....we had a problem two years ago where the tide was going out much faster than predicted . The ship was Oceania Serena and the captain sent out the word that all needed to board the ship an hour earlier or the ship would have difficulty departing. Maybe that's why  the Blue Lagoon tour doesn't want cruise passengers. As it was the Blue Lagoon passengers just made it to the ship in time. It's a long day.

Edited by Petoonya

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, bennybear said:

would you please explain why each is Better?  Thanks! 

Well.....Y Aka Plongee was great. Lot's of time in the Aquarium but only one run on the Tiputa Pass. They also have a minimum number of people required ( I think 6?) to confirm. But it was wonderful. A first timer would really feel good with them.

Rangiroa Plongee was a blast in the Tiputa Pass and drift snorkeling. Three runs total including one that was over a mile long. We didn't get quite as much time as with Y Aka Plongee in the Aquarium but that is because we spent so much time drift snorkeling. They had no minimum passenger requirement for confirmation so it was just my husband and I. Honestly though I didn't feel quite as safe as with Y Aka Plongee and 6 Passengers. But I would go out with them again- felt safe enough.

6 Passengers is a class act. They do it all right plus just 4 passenger bookings for confirmation. They have also promised a group of 6 of us a 3 hour tour (extra time drift snorkeling and Aquarium) rather than 2 hour as with the others.

All three charge just about the same price of 6000-6500xpf pp. You'd really be happy with any of them. All really nice people too. All tours are subject to the whims of the tides. 6 Passengers is the company that seems to have kept us most mindful of that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Taseko said:

Bennybear, would you please PM me so we can talk about excursions. CC isn’t allowing me to message you.  Thanks

Taseko,

Cruise Critic doesn't allow anyone to message anyone even though when you try to it says "you are only allowed one message a day". It's a privacy issue. But if Bennybear has email notification enabled all you have to do to get him/her a message is to "quote" his/her last message in a new post (like I did with your post) and ask for a reply.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2019 at 9:18 PM, bennybear said:

Thank you!  

Bennybear let’s chat about excursions.  I am thinking we will probably be able to get something at the dock in most ports. There are only a few places where we are  in port with other ships. I emailed Bora Bora Patrick’s company on 18 Nov and still have had no reply.  
While I love to snorkel, I am also conscious of how strong the sun is  down there and want to be sensible.   Thinking of sun protection, I would be interested in recommendations for reef sensitive products that others have used.  

We have a houseful of 9 staying for Christmas and the first ones arrive this morning so I will set aside my dreaming for a bit.  I hope this will be a lovely time for everyone on CC. Have a safe, happy, and peaceful Christmas and New Year. 

@Taseko Sure sounds good!  You are on the same cruise I think.    We have contacted six passengers about a snorkeling trip.  But it does appear some may be available on the dock, Princess so far has very limited excursions.  

As it turns out after more research on the one posted on our roll call it is a long perhaps rough ride from the boat, so we wouldn’t have been comfortable after reading the earlier comments on this board.  A blessing in disguise.

re the Sun we will wear rash guard shirts and check recommended reef safe lotions, no oxybenzone and a few other ingredients. We will be in Hawaii and check further there.  

We too have booked Patrick, email again we had to a couple of times.

Enjoy your Christmas!  

Bennybear please keep us in mind for 6 Passengers.  We are on for 29 Days out of homeport Vancouver.

I am not a competent or confident swimmer, but once I get my mask on and see those fish I love to float about. When I was in the S PAC before, I did a ship tour to the coral gardens (etched in my brain forever) and the rays and black tipped sharks. I recall having a bit of “unease” seeing the sharks and made a beeline for the tour boat. As I headed up the ladder a ray slithered up my thighs and back.  The poor gentleman ahead of me on the ladder got the surprise of his life as I grabbed the legs of his swim trunks trying to get up the ladder faster.  We had a good laugh once on board and I will always be grateful for his kind response.  

• Like 1

Wow!  I probably would have done the same!  

For sure!  I too am not so strong a swimmer.  I like the sound of their safety focus.    We too are from Canada. Perhaps email me when you have time as six passengers have already responded.    Bdmur at shaw dot ca

Edited by bennybear