Questions about dining in suite

Cdresser

Last year we took our first cruise and stayed in a royal suite on Infinity (probably a tactical error because it set a VERY high bar). Since it was our first cruise and only 4 days, we dined in every restaurant  because everything was new and exciting. In July we did a last minute cruise to Alaska on Millenium in aqua class. On both cruises we had a couple of breakfasts served in our room but the quality suffered compared to being in the restaurant.

Next week we start our next cruise adventure. We will be on Edge December 8 for 7 nights and I won my moveup bid so we will be in an Edge Villa. After we return, we have a one day turnaround then board the Infinity in a royal suite (same exact stateroom we had last year). We have mapped out our dining plan but I'm considering switching up a few nights to dine in our room (probably on Infinity because there isn't as much variety and the experiences won't be new). My questions are:

1. For those who have had dinner or lunch served in their suite, did the quality of the food suffer?

2. Do you have to order from the MDR or can you order food from Luminae, Blu, and specialty restaurants? 

I must confess the idea of enjoying a seafood tower on the balcony sounds very romantic but not so much so if the food is lukewarm. 

Any other tips and suggestions for in suite dining would be appreciated. Thanks.

We were just in the PH suite on Equinox and hade dinner in the suite from Tuscan.  While the food was not as hot as you would get it in the restaurant, it was acceptable. Since Infinity does not have the Porch I don't think you will get your sea food tower unless you dine in suite on Edge..

If you are a wine drinker ask the concierge to send a bottle of wine to your suite for dinner.  We had the starters delivered first, then the butler brought the steak and finally the dessert.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU
  • Like 2

You will generally not be able to order from Luminae in your suite.  However, some butlers will get an order for you if Luminae is open.  I desired a Luminae burger for lunch one day and was feeling a little under the weather so I did not want to venture out to lunch.   Our butler told me it was not within the ship's rules but then he went down and got it for me anyway!

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

You will generally not be able to order from Luminae in your suite.  However, some butlers will get an order for you if Luminae is open.  I desired a Luminae burger for lunch one day and was feeling a little under the weather so I did not want to venture out to lunch.   Our butler told me it was not within the ship's rules but then he went down and got it for me anyway!

That's a good butler. 

When in a PH or RS we usually have dinner once or twice on the deck... it is wonderful.  We have always been given the menus for all specialty restaurants (except Qsine, though we were told we could make a request from there if we wished - we did not).

But the most memorable dining experience was when our butler, upon hearing we liked Indian food, offered to present us with an authentic Goan banquet.  Dish after dish, course after course, graciously came to our room, piping hot, absolutely delectable.  Food prepared just for us - not off any menu.  

We were exceedingly thankful to our butler for the kind offer and the memorable experience.  It was exceptional.  We travel the world to learn and try and live, and this checked all those boxes.  

37 minutes ago, MaggieAtSea said:

But the most memorable dining experience was when our butler, upon hearing we liked Indian food, offered to present us with an authentic Goan banquet.  Dish after dish, course after course, graciously came to our room, piping hot, absolutely delectable.  Food prepared just for us - not off any menu.  

We experienced exactly the same in the Summit PH! I wonder if it was the same butler?

I don't recall any room service reviews from someone in an Edge Iconic Suite or Villa Suite, so it is possible that room service could be delivered from Luminae, since it is so much closer than the main dining room.  I've never had a hot meal from room service in either the penthouse or a royal suite, and I think you will be challenged to have one too.  It's all a trade off - the privacy of dining en suite versus the quality of the meal.  Enjoy those two great suites, and we would love to hear how you enjoyed the Iconic Suite when you return. 

We did have shrimp cocktails many times, and it was never served on ice or in a chilled dish.  We would ask that it be left in the refrigerator (penthouse) or wine cooler (RS on S class ships). 

Edited by JFontaine