My Maasdam Australia Circumnavigation Review

HokiePoq

https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=670372

We enjoyed this cruise very much.  Thirty days was the right length for us although many onboard had chosen the fifty-one day itinerary.   Only downside was the bad weather during the last third of the cruise....rough seas mostly and cool weather.   Fortunately a roll call poster had warned us it could be cool across southern Australia and we brought warm clothes.    We were disappointed to miss two tender ports due to the very rough seas.  Not a close call for the captain....way too rough to tender.   The rough weather made us ready to disembark in Sydney and get back on terra firma, lol.

Maasdam and Veendam are Goldilocks ships for me...just right.   I like the older ships.  The size is just right for us.

• Like 3

Always nice to read a positive review about a ship and an itinerary that I am considering.  Others who appreciate the EXC/educational aspects of a cruise with good lectures that supplement the itinerary have agreed with you.  I was surprised to read that you did have some of the same entertainers we had on the newer ships.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, St Pete Cruiser said:

Always nice to read a positive review about a ship and an itinerary that I am considering.  Others who appreciate the EXC/educational aspects of a cruise with good lectures that supplement the itinerary have agreed with you.  I was surprised to read that you did have some of the same entertainers we had on the newer ships.  

I got to know a lady who was on the very first cruise with this format.   She said everyone gave feedback and that entertainment has been improved.   There were a few nights when there were lectures in the theater instead of other entertainment but these very usually late port nights when we didn't feel like going to anything anyway.   

• Like 1

Giving credit where it is very much due, @dillpickle48 gave us so much good advice on roll call including caution about the weather.    Very interesting that a positive thread about an experience garners very little response and a negative one has page after page of responses.  ( I had submitted my review prior to the other thread about the same cruise and I am in no way criticizing that poster....we just had different perspectives.)

Edited by HokiePoq
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

I apologize. I read posts on links and blogs separately, and. Somehow I missed yours. I thank you for sharing your experiences. Australia is on my bucket list.

Thanks, but no need cat.  I think it's human nature to be more interested in less than positive things.  Thus the contents of our evening news, lol.

Just read your review and your excitement and enthusiasm for this cruise certainly came through! The lecturers sound wonderful and such variety! We are hopeful that Maasdam will do the same cruise around Australia in the Fall of 2021 and  we will be able to take part. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, HokiePoq said:

Giving credit where it is very much due, @dillpickle48 gave us so much good advice on roll call including caution about the weather.    Very interesting that a positive thread about an experience garners very little response and a negative one has page after page of responses.  ( I had submitted my review prior to the other thread about the same cruise and I am in no way criticizing that poster....we just had different perspectives.)

I totally agree with you.  Negative reports definitely attract much more attention.  I felt this was one of the best cruises I have been on.  I love the Maasdam and its in-depth approach.  The staff and food on this cruise were the best.  People who were on this cruise and put up so many negative comments obviously we not on the same cruise as us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, travelholics said:

Just read your review and your excitement and enthusiasm for this cruise certainly came through! The lecturers sound wonderful and such variety! We are hopeful that Maasdam will do the same cruise around Australia in the Fall of 2021 and  we will be able to take part. 

Hope they will have this same itinerary in 2021.  2020 does not go to Komodo but to Bali instead and is a month later.  That might help the rough seas thing...I don't know...but would have been too close to Christmas for us to go.   Indonesia announced Komodo was closing but that has now changed.  I'm thinking that was the reason it is not on the 2020 itinerary.   I really don't think cruise passengers are the poachers.   A dragon in the bathtub (if you have one) would soon be discovered, lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thank you for taking time to share your experience of the Australian Circumnavigation cruise.

We have twice enjoyed the Circumnavigation, missed Kangaroo Island once, due to weather conditions.

Counting down the days until we again board the Maasdam

• Like 2