Mexican Riviera - Puerto Vallarta - Ship Time vs Port Time

CarlieInSF

Hello - 

Has anyone been on a recent Mexican Riviera out of San Pedro and can tell me if they move the time between Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta?

We are going over New Years and NYE is our Mazatlan Day, so I am hoping we don't lose an hour between Mazatlan and PV.

Thanks!

Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta are 1 hour different (Mazatlan is an hour earlier-just double checked).

We tend to cruise in November and December and it's been many years since we have had to deal with a different "ship time" vs "Mexico time", but I've heard that is at the Captain's discretion. 

My guess is you would lose an hour, but can't be sure.

Good luck!

34 minutes ago, Near PDX said:

We disembarked the Royal MX cruise about a week ago and the ship time always agreed with shore time. 

Thanks for the info. DARN!  Was hoping to not lose an hour of sleep over NYE.  PV excursion is 8:30am....that's going to be a painful wake up.

From my recollection from past cruises, they set the clock back/ahead on the ship to match port time...

But, beware regarding Puerto Vallarta:

Mexico has three time zones:  Baja California Norte (Ensenada, for example) is in the Pacific Time Zone--time is same as in California.  Baja California Sur (Cabo), Sonora, Chihuahua, Sinaloa (Mazatlan) and Nayarit are in the "Mountain" Time Zone (same as Denver, for example).  The rest of Mexico is in the "Central" Time Zone (same as Dallas, Chicago, etc.).

Problem with Puerto Vallarta is that the city of Puerto Vallarta is in the state of Jalisco--hence it's in "Central" time...But the northern, newer suburbs of Puerto Vallarta (ie Nuevo Vallarta) are in the State of Nayarit--so, technically, they are in Mountain time.  This, of course, could lead to a lot of confusion.  People staying in hotels in Nuevo Vallarta were missing their flights home out of PV Airport...People were showing up an hour early or an hour late for restaurant reservations, etc.

So, a few years ago, they got smart.  They just decided that all of the PV northern suburbs would ignore that they are in Nayarit and just go by Puerto Vallarta time...But, still be wary if you venture a little further to the north--the local time zone will change.

• Like 1

I have a home San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico on the Sea of Cortez.  We do not change time here, it always is the same as Arizona, my other home.  So, part of the year we are on Pacific time, part of the year on Mountain time, just like Arizona.

My most recent Princess cruise (one month ago), the ship changed its time to match port time in both Mazatlán and PV.  But it seems to be up to the captain, and (as is customary with Princess) it varies from ship to ship (and perhaps from voyage to voyage).

The cabin steward will let you know by means of a small slip of paper "reminding" you to change your clocks.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2019 at 2:47 PM, Mike45LC said:

My most recent Princess cruise (one month ago), the ship changed its time to match port time in both Mazatlán and PV.  But it seems to be up to the captain, and (as is customary with Princess) it varies from ship to ship (and perhaps from voyage to voyage).

The cabin steward will let you know by means of a small slip of paper "reminding" you to change your clocks.

Thank you !!  I will pray that we don't lose that hour over NYE!

Have been on a few Mexico cruises. Princess' normal practice is to change their ship time to match port time. But, Puerto Vallarta has been an exception at least on the few cruises I took. You will just have to wait until you board. It's up to the Captain and staff.