Anyone have Alaska daily programs, please?

Canuker

CC member "Radio" has just posted his/her daily programs (QM2 crossing) in another thread here in the Cunard section.
Loads of helpful info, along with the other docs that are thoughtfully shared with us.
Thank you, Radio.
Can I ask if anyone has similar daily programs for a Cunard Queen Elizabeth cruise in Alaska in 2019, please?
If you could post them here, they would be really helpful in planning similar cruises in 2020 and 2021.
Thank you, from someone who is doing just that in July 2020.

• Like 1

I have some, so I will try to get them organized and scanned for you, but it may take a day or two. Meanwhile I have finally finished my day by day report over on the Alaska board if that will help you with your planning. I tried to answer all the questions I had when I was planning, but I'd be happy to answer any others you might have if I can.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Canuker said:

Hello kmerlin 14.
You've done a splendid job with your Alaska cruise reports.
I am happy to join the chorus of appreciation, over on the Alaska thread.

Great job.
And yes, please, to those dailies!

Thank you.

Thanks. I read a lot of reports when I was planning ours, so I was trying to pay the favour along to someone else.

On 12/4/2019 at 2:35 PM, kmerlin14 said:

Here are the daily programs. I left out most of the ad stuff, but tried to include the useful stuff.

Wonderful, kmerlin14!
What a thorough  -and thoroughly enjoyable - job you've done, taking us all along with you on your glorious (if rather rainy!) cruise to Alaska.
So many ideas to latch on to for the budding Alaska cruiser.
If CC hands out gold stars, this has to be a candidate.

Sincerely,

Canuker.

On 12/5/2019 at 11:53 PM, Canuker said:

Wonderful, kmerlin14!
What a thorough  -and thoroughly enjoyable - job you've done, taking us all along with you on your glorious (if rather rainy!) cruise to Alaska.
So many ideas to latch on to for the budding Alaska cruiser.
If CC hands out gold stars, this has to be a candidate.

Sincerely,

Canuker.

Thanks so much. I'm glad someone found it useful. And I'm sure you will love your cruise. The rain didn't really dampen things and we had some lovely weather. I was impressed that they handed out raincoats and possibly umbrellas as you left the ship.

I've read through your daily programs, kmerlin 14, and I am astonished at the depth of immersion in Alaska topics that Cunard provided.
Never having been before, I don't know if it is typical of other cruise lines but I think you could have come back from that cruise an expert on coastal (if not interior) Alaska.

Quite apart from the port visits and the dozens of Cunard-sponsored port excursions, there were so many opportunities on board to connect with Alaskan life, geography and wildlife. 

What you have posted has been so useful in helping us plan our own cruise there with Cunard in 2020. There is so much to take in.
Thank you.

PS I guess you know that an anagram of kmerlin is kremlin?

Edited by Canuker

Thank you very much for the programmes - this is very helpful. We are cruising to PNG on the QE in February and I'm interested to see the timing of the dancing in the evenings. They generally start the dancing around 7:45 which is the same time as the late dining time. 

My question is - how long does it take to eat a meal in the MDR. If its 3 courses - I'm thinking at least an hour?  We are currently booked on the 8pm sitting -  so it sounds like we'll miss out on a lot  of dancing  if we eat in the MDR? 

Oh and who  or what are "the friends of Bill W" - that seems to happen most days? 

Edited by lissie

3 minutes ago, lissie said:

Thank you very much for the programmes - this is very helpful. We are cruising to PNG on the QE in February and I'm interested to see the timing of the dancing in the evenings. They generally start the dancing around 7:45 which is the same time as the late dining time. 

My question is - how long does it take to eat a meal in the MDR. If its 3 courses - I'm thinking at least an hour?  We are currently booked on the 8pm sitting -  so it sounds like we'll miss out on a lot  of dancing  if we eat in the MDR? 

Oh and who  or what are "the friends of Bill W" - that seems to happen most days? 

At second sitting on QM2 during transatlantic crossings with a large table of 8 or 10, it usually takes between 1.5 and 2 hours for dinner. If you are on a table for 2, that time can be reduced somewhat and perhaps it's a bit different on a QE voyage.

Here is a Cruise Critic article that will help with your second question.

What Is Friends of Bill W. on a Cruise?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, lissie said:

We were on the early seating and it took about an hour for dinner. (We didn't pay attention to how long it took because we were usually enjoying the socialization time with our table mates.) There was often recorded ballroom music about 4:45, so you could go dancing before dinner if you'd like and just join the dancing when you were finished your dinner. We also never got to a sailaway party because of our dinner time, so I don't know what they would be like.

friends of Bill would be another name for AA meetings.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Canuker said:

I've read through your daily programs, kmerlin 14, and I am astonished at the depth of immersion in Alaska topics that Cunard provided.
Never having been before, I don't know if it is typical of other cruise lines but I think you could have come back from that cruise an expert on coastal (if not interior) Alaska.

Quite apart from the port visits and the dozens of Cunard-sponsored port excursions, there were so many opportunities on board to connect with Alaskan life, geography and wildlife. 

What you have posted has been so useful in helping us plan our own cruise there with Cunard in 2020. There is so much to take in.
Thank you.

PS I guess you know that an anagram of kmerlin is kremlin?

Hadn't really thought of the anagram. And enjoy your cruise. We really enjoyed ours.

18 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

At second sitting on QM2 during transatlantic crossings with a large table of 8 or 10, it usually takes between 1.5 and 2 hours for dinner. If you are on a table for 2, that time can be reduced somewhat and perhaps it's a bit different on a QE voyage.

I hope so! Thats a lot out of an evening!  We have booked a table for 8 - but may  ask to be moved if the group is too slow. Or maybe just eat in the Lido -  I assume its similar food? 

One strategy that we've seen avid dancers adopt at our tables at second sitting on QM2 is that they excuse themselves before the dessert, coffee, and petit four courses. That can cut up to 30 minutes from the dining time, allowing them get to the Queens Room for the evening's dancing program earlier than they would otherwise.

• Like 2

Quite correct bluemarble , lissie and her dance partner have no need to worry.  Iissie as I may have mentioned before I'm an avid dancer too, and never had a problem excusing my self to get away to the Ballroom as soon as possible if I find my table companions wish to linger. 

You'll find that seasoned Cunarders  on your table (even though not dancers them self)  are often supportive and will even encourage one to leave early.  You'll even find that you've encouraged your table companions into the Ballroom 'out of curiosity' just to enjoy the evenings dancing.

Edited by Bell Boy
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, bluemarble said:

One strategy that we've seen avid dancers adopt at our tables at second sitting on QM2 is that they excuse themselves before the dessert, coffee, and petit four courses. That can cut up to 30 minutes from the dining time, allowing them get to the Queens Room for the evening's dancing program earlier than they would otherwise.

That makes sense - didn't think of coffee - although coffee drinkers during the day we don't tend to drink it after dinner. And  I' m think desert PLUS afternoon tea would be bad for the waistline!  

Is there late night desert at the buffet (asking for a friend ...) 

3 hours ago, lissie said:

All my recent experience is on QM2 where there are indeed dessert offerings during the "Late Snack" time period in the Kings Court buffet. I would be surprised if the same were not also true in the Lido buffet on QE.

• Thanks 1

On 12/11/2019 at 7:48 PM, lissie said:

That makes sense - didn't think of coffee - although coffee drinkers during the day we don't tend to drink it after dinner. And  I' m think desert PLUS afternoon tea would be bad for the waistline!  

Tell your friend the late night buffet opens at 10:30. I have to avoid sugar, so I tried not to look at the sweets, but I'm pretty sure they at least had cookies. they had crackers and cheese for sure and I think they had scones too. There was always lots to eat. I fall else fails there is the turn down chocolate.

• Thanks 1