Timing for cruising in New Zealand Fiordland sounds

ilya12000

I can't find search button in this forum, so I need to open new topic. We booked 12 nights cruise on Norwegian Jewel from Sydney to Auckland, but it looks to me that it will cruise the three Sounds during night hours. Did somebody took similar cruise? I'm afraid, that it is not too much to see at night there. I can't find another NCL cruise with day time at Fiordland National Park. Any advice? 

Edited by ilya12000

You will cruise the Sounds on one day, usually entering Milford Sound about 6.30 am and then the other sounds after that. It will take about 2 - 2.5 hrs to cruise through Milford and return to open sea before sailing along the coast to Doubtful and then on to Dusty. On Princess, we actually sailed through five sounds. That night you will sail to Dunedin. I would suggest you have a water proof jacket, a beanie, a scarf and gloves as it may be quite chilly early in the morning in Milford. Layers are a good suggestion.

Leigh

10 hours ago, ilya12000 said:

I can't find search button in this forum, so I need to open new topic. We booked 12 nights cruise on Norwegian Jewel from Sydney to Auckland, but it looks to me that it will cruise the three Sounds during night hours. Did somebody took similar cruise? I'm afraid, that it is not too much to see at night there. I can't find another NCL cruise with day time at Fiordland National Park. Any advice? 

I assume that you are on the 23 January sailing from Sydney.  If so, it looks like indicative timings are Milford Sound 9-10am, Doubtful Sound 2-3pm and Dusky Sound 5-6.30pm on 29 January.

https://crew-center.com/norwegian-jewel-itinerary

Thank you Bpmsmith. Unfortunately our cruise is not this, but on February 3rd 2021. And according to the same site the timing in the sounds is after 12am )-:. So I try to find if the information is correct, and if yes - may be jump to another cruise line, as it is really pity to be there and not to see these sounds.

Looking at the arrival time the next day into Dunedin (8:00 am), it is very unlikely that they will cruise through during the night - they would then be sitting off the coast of the South Island for half a day if they did!  I suspect that NCL haven't yet updated the times for 2021.  You might like to contact the company to confirm what the schedule is likely to be in 2021.

This is what our timing was 'supposed' to be:

Screenshot_20191209-182912_Photos.thumb.jpg.32ea885ec8fabcb1d8c7b12491791f39.jpg

As you can see, Port Chalmers (Dunedin) was 8 for me too. Yet the fords were supposed to be the full day before. Didn't happen due to conditions. It's not guaranteed 

Edited by Ombud
Typo

The cruise-ship will not pass thru the sounds during the night, only in daylight hours so the passengers can view the spectacular scenery. I doubt they are even allowed to be in the sounds during night hours.

It will be fine & you will get to cruise thru, weather & seas permitting.