Disney

boatsandtrains614

1. Use a travel agent who kicks back some money in the form of on-board credit.  

2. Get a Target red card (there's a debit option that links to your checking account).  Use it to buy Disney gift cards with the 5% Red Card discount.  Use those cards to pay for your cruise and on-board charges.

3. Book as early as the particular cruise is available.  There are no deals later on -- prices only go up. 

4. If you love the first one, book the second while on board and you'll get a discount.

5.  Stay in a less expensive class of room -- interior, small, less costly location.

6.  Don't drink alcohol while on board.

7.  Book your own activities in port rather than signing up for the Disney Port Adventures.  I've been looking into activities in Key West for a cruise in March, and the Disney up charge is as much as double.  For example, the conch trolley costs $76 for a parent and child through Disney but $42.48 if we buy direct.  A visit to the butterfly conservatory and aquarium is $118 through Disney but $45.64 if we buy tickets directly.  You pay a lot for the convenience of walking off the ship and following a leader with a big sign to a pre-arranged motor coach.

• Like 1

There are Florida Resident Rates, Military rates and Canadian Resident Discounts.

Book a Guaranteed room rather than picking your room.  That can save you several hundred dollars.

Book early.  Disney cruises tend to only go up in price with the exception of the discounts I listed, but most of those are offered closer to sailing time.  Some cruises don't have much of a price difference from opening day to sailing week, but more popular, or unique cruises (different itineraries than normal) can do up dramatically.  We have a cruise booked for next year that we book a couple months after opening day.  We paid $200 more than the price was on opening day, and currently with over to go for the cruise the price of our room has gone up another $500.  

The PP said don't drink on board.  You can BYO beer and wine with Disney.  And this is not just at embarkation day, but every port.  You can bring two 750 ml bottles of wine or one six pack of beer (12 oz) per person in your cabin.  This is to consume in your room, they do not want you bringing your personal drinks around the ship.  However if you bring a Yeti style cup...

Also look at the Cash Back sites for ways to buy discounted Gift cards.  I was able to buy DGC  at 12%+ off by combing my CC cash back, buying Walmart gift cards on  Raise and got cash cash back to apply to future purchases (and I used it to buy another walmart gift card at a discount), getting cash back for the transaction through Retailmenot, then bought discounted Disney gift cards at Sams online, paid with the Walmart Gift card and used a link through Rakuten.  I bought $1000 worth of Disney Gift Cards for $970 and then had over $125 in cash back on top of that discount. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Missus_Aitch said:

1. Use a travel agent who kicks back some money in the form of on-board credit.  

2. Get a Target red card (there's a debit option that links to your checking account).  Use it to buy Disney gift cards with the 5% Red Card discount.  Use those cards to pay for your cruise and on-board charges.

3. Book as early as the particular cruise is available.  There are no deals later on -- prices only go up. 

4. If you love the first one, book the second while on board and you'll get a discount.

5.  Stay in a less expensive class of room -- interior, small, less costly location.

6.  Don't drink alcohol while on board.

7.  Book your own activities in port rather than signing up for the Disney Port Adventures.  I've been looking into activities in Key West for a cruise in March, and the Disney up charge is as much as double.  For example, the conch trolley costs $76 for a parent and child through Disney but $42.48 if we buy direct.  A visit to the butterfly conservatory and aquarium is $118 through Disney but $45.64 if we buy tickets directly.  You pay a lot for the convenience of walking off the ship and following a leader with a big sign to a pre-arranged motor coach.

1 hour ago, boatsandtrains614 said:

Thank you everyone about reducing costs.   I am  a traveler with trips getting more expensive. Particularly need help on local tours without using the ships programs.

For excursions, you're best bet is to visit the Ports of Call board related to your cruise. Lots of good suggestions on local tours and vendors.