Semi-Live limited Gem Dec 13, 2019 NY-Florida overnight, GSC & Nassau

mking8288

15 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Good evening, just done something that I just usually don't do, upgrade to unlimited WiFi for just $55 with $125 credited for the 250 minutes, good for remaining 6+ days. No streaming, but will be able to do quite a bit. Now, I can seriously fire up the notebook PC when DW isn't online.

More Q&A, live late night sessions ... I think is doable. Going to be great to run benchmark & go VoIP, FB Messenger worked just fine using our Platinum/+ free minutes Friday & Saturday - all used up.

Here's the screenshot, there is also a multi-device discount for unlimited plans, not getting that. 4bebe249b0f23c00107c8f8cc981338a.jpg

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Hi!  So I assume you were using your free at sea minutes before upgrading but with the unlimited they still gave you the full $125 off the price of the unlimited? I’ll be in a two week cruise on the Bliss shortly and am interested in upgrading on board. I read someplace else that on a two week cruise you can upgrade a few days into the cruise. 

I did a cruise last Jan. on the Gem and really enjoyed it!

... using your free at sea minutes before upgrading but with the unlimited they still gave you the full $125 off the price of the unlimited? .. read someplace else that on a two week cruise you can upgrade a few days into the cruise. 

We used up only our free Platinum/+ minutes, in part to test & see that satellite speed is usable. We didn't use or activate our 250 minutes, once that's used - cannot upgrade. Our costs being $55 for 6 days is reasonable, as I switched & accepted the offer to buy up just after midnight ... wasn't sure if they would still do the deal.

For our previous 15 days on the Escape, option to buy or trade up was available thru day 4.

Loungers on the promenade deck ... yes, they set them up for us but stack them up & secured overnight ... no sleeping in the open air.

Meanwhile, crew giving Tappenyaki a serious cleaning, go over every sq.in. wearing respirator mask ... washy washy.

A quiet, warm night across the Basin.  Bliss is finally seen on AIS about 3+ hours out, going 12 knots.

IMG_20191215_231223924.jpg

IMG_20191215_230703343.jpg

IMG_20191215_230803581.jpg

This is what the Hertz free shuttle for car rental looked like, available until 4 pm daily - they also serve Dollar Car Rental. Alamo, Thrifty & National shared a larger shuttle bus also nearby, pick-up inside the parking lot drop-off.

Collage 2019-12-15 21_57_28.jpg

Day 4 already, $19.99 Laundry Special today on the Gem, return by tomorrow evening. 

Time to get on the gangway ... $19 to park our car overnight at the cruise terminal.  Hertz gave us a free upgrade from Mazda 3 midsize to a Mitsubishi Outlander SUV with Android Auto integration, perfect to get around ... to do a little shopping opposite Ron Hon in the strip mall. Walgreen across the lot. Passed a 7-11 & Dunkin that's like 3 miles from the ship.  McDonald's here.

IMG_20191216_093746318.jpg

IMG_20191216_101316599.jpg

IMG_20191216_101218552.jpg

IMG_20191216_094145446.jpg

IMG_20191216_094631326.jpg

IMG_20191216_101222142.jpg

IMG_20191216_101233661.jpg

22 hours ago, mking8288 said:

We used up only our free Platinum/+ minutes, in part to test & see that satellite speed is usable. We didn't use or activate our 250 minutes, once that's used - cannot upgrade. Our costs being $55 for 6 days is reasonable, as I switched & accepted the offer to buy up just after midnight ... wasn't sure if they would still do the deal.

For our previous 15 days on the Escape, option to buy or trade up was available thru day 4.

Thanks for clarifying. I thought it was unlikely NCL would actually offer a good deal (g). Think I might just use my free at sea minutes and then buy a second round of 250. Think ai May get an extra 30 minutes for being Gold. 

Port Canaveral cruise terminal has pretty fast & free WiFi, crew members are there when off work. 

Heading to Moderno next, Deck 13 should be a good spot to watch the rocket launch scheduled. Then, we get to rest & watch for Pier runners, all abroad is 9 pm. GSC on schedule for tomorrow ...

Screenshot_20191216-125145.png

18 hours ago, mking8288 said:

A simple Vietnamese dinner in Orlando, FL of salad w shrimps, beef pho noodles soup after Disney Springs.  Gem at Terminal 6 at night, after a 50 minutes drive.

8 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Hungry, anyone ... my simple breakfast, including smoke salmon bagel 😋

I like anyone who has pho for dinner followed by a bagel and lox for breakfast the next day. :classic_cool:

It's a sure sign of a real New Yorker !

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Port Canaveral cruise terminal has pretty fast & free WiFi, crew members are there when off work. 

Heading to Moderno next, Deck 13 should be a good spot to watch the rocket launch scheduled. Then, we get to rest & watch for Pier runners, all abroad is 9 pm. GSC on schedule for tomorrow ...

Screenshot_20191216-125145.png

Hi again. So I assume you are docked at the same part of the terminal as the bliss, correct?  Meaning that getting good free Wi-Fi is going to be very near the ship, right?  Meaning that getting good free Wi-Fi is going to be very near the ship, right? Trying to figure out ways to make the best use of my Free at sea minutes before buying more.

1 hour ago, WYB! said:

Thank you for the updates.

Can you inquire on the Gem when the new MDR and specialty Restaurants menus will go in to effect or if they have any idea which voyage?

Safe travels,

- WhosYourBuddy

I was on the Gem last week and I thought the specialty restaurants were already using the new menus. For example Cagney's was charging $3 for their various steak sauces. I also thought the MDR dinner menus were new, but I could be wrong. I didn't go to the MDR for lunch so I don't know about that menu.

One new wrinkle in the specialties. For the first time both my wife and I had to present our room cards to use the specialty dining plan and we each got a separate $0 check to sign reflecting our individual orders. In the past it was sufficient for one or the other to present their card and you received a single $0 bill for the total meal. This could be a move to restrict your sharing the dining plan with someone outside your cabin. Let's say my wife didn't want to go to a specialty restaurant one night and a friend in another cabin who didn't have the specialty dining wanted to try it. It looks like I would no longer be able to pay for the friend's meal with my specialty dining plan.

Edited by njhorseman