Semi-Live limited Gem Dec 13, 2019 NY-Florida overnight, GSC & Nassau

mking8288

Less than an hour from sailing, all abroad at 5:30 pm.  Other ships still here, busy port activities at Nassau.

Spinnaker lounge on Deck 13 was super quiet & empty between 11 and 1:30 pm as there were just a handful of folks inside, quiet & peaceful. 

Had a nice bowl of noodles soup, adding extras found in the buffet.  Tonight is Greek night.  

Also learned that, indirectly, that sadly, last night's Code Alpha call did not had a positive outcome ... no further details here, extending thoughts & prayers to the family & others, traveling together for a sad closure.

Collage 2019-12-18 17_12_35.jpg

Standby for Pier runners, 6 names called at 5:35 to contact Guest Services ... not good.  2 reported, 4 to be.

Edited by mking8288

Stay tuned on tech findings on those LG brand HDTV and possibilities, if any.

Got the Xiaomi IR remote to pair up.

Ropes released, ship horn sounded, we are sailing 5 minutes early. I guess everyone got back as no further PA paging of guests. We are homeward bound.  

IMG_20191218_164507250.jpg

15767098800757173662915333012880.jpg

15767099241551825786313924652172.jpg

• Like 2

Atrium, melodies w the guitar can use a little more practice on his vocal. 

Holiday decorations, what you see is what they put on ...

Cigarette smokers now apparently using the cigar lounge.  Outside on Deck 13 is going to be a challenge on windy days and when weather isn't good ... I am only the messenger.

IMG_20191218_180632929.jpg

IMG_20191218_180749531.jpg

Safe sailing home, mking. Thank you for taking us along.

Gem looks great. Wondering about the Gem Mermaid lately. Is she even still there outside the bridge observation, deck 11?

Weather down there looks amazing. Here up north, not so great. Ice storms and snow squalls going on. Should all be gone by the time you get home 😎

~Robin

P.S. Happy and Healthy Holiday Wishes to You and Yours. 

Edited by meatball_nyc
  • Thanks 1

Buffet wasn't too busy around 8 pm, despite being Greek Night themed ... came up here to get some ice ourselves.

Designated seating, reserved for wheelchairs guests, is good. Quite a few w mobility issues.

Plus, 500 children onboard, more than I expected.  Next sailing for the holiday ... some are doing B2B 🤭 ??

Collage 2019-12-18 21_29_28.jpg

Apparently, many staterooms did not get upgraded to bedside LED and USB ports, including ours.  I recommend bring at least a 10 or 12 ft. USB extension cable to run it from the desk/dresser outlets.

The LG HDTV has 2 USB port that can power devices nearby, not hi.output ones.  Good enough to run my Big Blue Bluetooth speaker, and, a 3.5mm audio output is usable for connecting to a headset or direct to speakers like mine.

However, the HDMI ports are blocked as input signal is routed to the Ethernet port on the monitor.  No easy or practical way to cast or switch video output to the 22" monitor, sorry 😔

Collage 2019-12-18 21_11_44.jpg

Collage 2019-12-18 21_09_02.jpg

Collage 2019-12-18 21_13_09.jpg

IMG_20191218_145207103.jpg

• Like 1

Indoor plans might be in order for next 2 sea days ...

Sailed 115 nm from Nassau, 887 nm to go - currently doing 18.5 knots near Abaco / Providence - Bahamas into the deeper Atlantic waters ... 75 deg F, waves at 8 ft. with a headwind, 40 miles fresh gale.

NY weather 🙄 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, meatball_nyc said:

... Wondering about the Gem Mermaid lately. Is she even still there outside the bridge observation, deck 11?  Weather down there looks amazing. Here up north, not so great ... 😎

Thanks, Robin & good evening again.  Happy Holidays.  We will find out in the morning when the Captain does the bridge update on how rough the northbound ride might be over the next 24 to 48 hours with the jet stream & weather systems.  Chatting with one of the fellow CC'er this morning up on the Spinnaker Lounge - something about a coastal storm & goodies awaiting ahead for us - always prepared for those choppy seas, gale force cross-wind & Nor-Easter storms.  

Picked up a few SMS alerts on the smartphone & checking our home video security system images uploaded ... with the unlimited satellite WiFi available for the duration/rest of this cruise is going to be helpful, as I can access & look at most online & real-time data feeds, as well as forecast models & weather trend.  The key, is in the good hands of the ship's captain & team on the bridge and below deck in the engine/mechanical rooms & systems.  From the seat of my "pants" - feeling a bit of rocking & rolling - being on Deck 5 midship, we have no worries ... plenty of Bonine with us, just in case of severe storms (mostly not needed.) 

If the ride gets interesting, I might just setup a semi-live "station" in the Spinnaker Lounge & do periodic update, nice & secure and indoor - and plenty of electrical outlets to tap for power (with a simple 220 volt outlet adapter).  Just did a quick check of current marine data on Oceanweather dot com - nothing serious, maybe 10' to 15' waves and the Bliss is ahead of us by 24 hours, I'll peek at their ship live webcam to check later. 

Later this morning/afternoon, going up to Deck 11 to visit the bridge viewing room & checkout Robin, the Mermaid - added a bracelet to the collection from the previous M&G ... should be fine (photography inside the room is not "allowed" for maritime security reasons ...) 

Edited by mking8288

13 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Atrium, melodies w the guitar can use a little more practice on his vocal. 

Holiday decorations, what you see is what they put on ...

Cigarette smokers now apparently using the cigar lounge.  Outside on Deck 13 is going to be a challenge on windy days and when weather isn't good ... I am only the messenger.

IMG_20191218_180632929.jpg

IMG_20191218_180749531.jpg

It's been awhile but Leo is no longer on the Gem?

11 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Designated seating, reserved for wheelchairs guests, is good. Quite a few w mobility issues.

One of my pet peeves is how frequently this designated seating is occupied by people with no mobility issues. It's not that we need that seating...we also have no mobility issues...it's just a matter of principle.

1 hour ago, EllieinNJ said:

It's been awhile but Leo is no longer on the Gem?

He was on the Gem earlier this year starting in late January. You never know how long the entertainers' contracts extend. Assuming he still is a regular on the Gem he could be on vacation right now. Frankly, the current guitarist, LM Cancio, isn't very good. Not that Leo is a great guitarist or singer either, but he has a crowd-pleasing personality.

LMC isn't very good, agreed on his vocals. Leo definitely not on, vacation ?

Dexddd, just a matter of showing the Guest Card, it seemed, for priority .. it helped to be remembered by a few from upstairs ? #cough #cough

Sailed 245 nm, 730+ nm to go at 15 knots, on time 8 am arrival ? 65 degree F outside, strong gale & 12' waves, a little choppy at the stern.

Later.

Collage 2019-12-19 09_40_41.jpg