Explore 4 Drink Packages?

chisoxfan

We are (were) pretty avid cruisers (2x a year for past 15 years) but have changed things up a bit the past few years. We have  started doing some all inclusives as a good (in our minds) alternative to cruising and have written off a few lines due to issues (Princess and NCL).

Our last cruise was on MSC Yacht Club which we have booked again because of what we fee is tremendous value. When we look at X an old favorite, the prices seem out of whack ( Apex one week AQ 6,000 plus???).

Anyway where this is going is that we have enjoyed HAL greatly and we would like to book another cruise with them under the right terms. They used to have an Explore 4 package that we did a few times that included drinks. I don't check things as often as I used to but when I saw this offer more recently there was only something like a 25 or 50 dollar drink credit.

Has HAL abandoned free drinks promotions or should I keep looking for these?

Would love to try one of their newer ships.

Thanks in advance for any info.

HAL switched the benefits of the Explore-4 promotion in 2019, eliminating the Signature Beverage Package and giving onboard cabin credits based on your cruise length and cabin class.   But HAL had a promotion running through November which did give the SBP.   Right now, their current promotion includes pre-paid gratuities and free internet in suites.   Keep checking, I'm sure another promotion will pop up that includes the SBP.

34 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

HAL switched the benefits of the Explore-4 promotion in 2019, eliminating the Signature Beverage Package and giving onboard cabin credits based on your cruise length and cabin class.   But HAL had a promotion running through November which did give the SBP.   Right now, their current promotion includes pre-paid gratuities and free internet in suites.   Keep checking, I'm sure another promotion will pop up that includes the SBP.

Thank you for responding and the info. The drink package is important to us (not that we drink so much) but it adds to a relaxed feel for the vacation and fixes costs. This was a big reason we have gravitated towards the all inclusives and the MSC Yacht Club. HAL sends us mail on their select or private (whatever it is) sales but I know in the last year nothing included a drink package or I would have noticed. Maybe they need to direct their marketing more accurately.

I did not see anything in November with the SBP -- or perhaps it just didn't apply to our upcoming 28-day cruise. We will probably buy the SBP ahead of the cruise at the pre-price of $44.95+gratuity pppd. We just break even on sea days, but as you say, it's nice not to worry about every latte or glass of wine at dinner.

We have the SBP on Nieuw Statendam in Jan 2021; the promo was in June this year and was called Early Booking Bonus. (The beverage package was for the first two persons in the room, also dinner in Pinnacle Grill also for the first two.) I believe this was for new bookings only, and for fairly new releases OF sailings, as the promo name would suggest.

7 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

Thank you for responding and the info. The drink package is important to us (not that we drink so much) but it adds to a relaxed feel for the vacation and fixes costs. This was a big reason we have gravitated towards the all inclusives and the MSC Yacht Club. HAL sends us mail on their select or private (whatever it is) sales but I know in the last year nothing included a drink package or I would have noticed. Maybe they need to direct their marketing more accurately.

The newly released 2021 Europe itineraries offer an “all inclusive” package that includes the signature beverage package, but it is not called “Explore 4”, so HAL has not completely stopped offering the signature bev package as a benefit in certain promotions.

Also, we booked a cruise in March of this year called “Early booking bonus” that had all of the same benefits of “Explore 4” but it was not called “Explore 4”. We have the signature bev package included in our upcoming cruise. 

4 hours ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

The newly released 2021 Europe itineraries offer an “all inclusive” package that includes the signature beverage package, but it is not called “Explore 4”, so HAL has not completely stopped offering the signature bev package as a benefit in certain promotions.

Also, we booked a cruise in March of this year called “Early booking bonus” that had all of the same benefits of “Explore 4” but it was not called “Explore 4”. We have the signature bev package included in our upcoming cruise. 

Thanks for posting!  

• Like 1

HAL had the EBB, Early Booking Bonus in effect from March 2019 through June 2019.  It included a reduced deposit, and the Signature Beverage Package.   I booked a 29 day cruise for October 2020 while onboard the Eurodam in March 2019, and the Future Cruise Consultant told me I had the beverage package included.   Amazingly, the fare had not gone up when the beverage package was added.   I had been watching this cruise and fare for many months before March.   When I was told I had the package, which would have cost me $1500 per person to purchase for 29 days, I immediately asked the FCC how much the fare went up.  She said no increase.   That was a fantastic deal that doesn't happen often.  Usually, when an expensive perk like SBP or prepaid HSC is attached to a cruise, the fare jumps up almost by the equivalent amount.  Not so this time.

We also booked a 24 day during EBB early in June for a May 2020 European itinerary. I have watched the pricing since., and it had a short slight reduction but not enough for us to give this up. Since that small window, prices have increased considerably. We are happy with our pricing and drink package. I think it worth waiting for if the SBB is more important/greater individual return than other promotions such as pre-paid gratuities. 

Edited by Vineyard View

4 hours ago, TAD2005 said:

HAL had the EBB, Early Booking Bonus in effect from March 2019 through June 2019.  It included a reduced deposit, and the Signature Beverage Package.   I booked a 29 day cruise for October 2020 while onboard the Eurodam in March 2019, and the Future Cruise Consultant told me I had the beverage package included.   Amazingly, the fare had not gone up when the beverage package was added.   I had been watching this cruise and fare for many months before March.   When I was told I had the package, which would have cost me $1500 per person to purchase for 29 days, I immediately asked the FCC how much the fare went up.  She said no increase.   That was a fantastic deal that doesn't happen often.  Usually, when an expensive perk like SBP or prepaid HSC is attached to a cruise, the fare jumps up almost by the equivalent amount.  Not so this time.

You're right, the promos usually do bump up prices. You got a nice bargain!!

On 12/14/2019 at 7:39 PM, chisoxfan said:

The drink package just doesn't work for us because we just don't drink enough to make it pay, but when we cruise with HAL I purchase several bottles of scotch for delivery to our cabin on the first day of the cruise.  I can have a wee dram or three in the evening. 

Edited by SargassoPirate

1 hour ago, SargassoPirate said:

The drink package just doesn't work for us because we just don't drink enough to make it pay, but when we cruise with HAL I purchase several bottles of scotch for delivery to our cabin on the first day of the cruise.  I can have a wee dram or three in the evening. 

Actually bottled water is a not insignificant part of things. If you figure maybe 10 bottles a day for two at 3 dollars you are looking at over 200 for seven days.  It may sound silly but we crossed NCL off the list when they charged an 18% grat for their 'free' drink package and then took away bottled water.

22 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

Good point about bottled water, but we carry refillable bottles and are fine with tap water ( I wonder what the ratio of plastic straws to plastic water bottles is)

And it doesn't sound silly to cross a cruise line off your list of consideration. When the barrel chairs in the standard balcony cabins on Princess disappeared, Princess disappeared from our list of cruise lines to consider.

Fortunately, there are many cruise lines and cruise ships to choose from.

6 minutes ago, SargassoPirate said:

Good point about bottled water, but we carry refillable bottles and are fine with tap water ( I wonder what the ratio of plastic straws to plastic water bottles is)

And it doesn't sound silly to cross a cruise line off your list of consideration. When the barrel chairs in the standard balcony cabins on Princess disappeared, Princess disappeared from our list of cruise lines to consider.

Fortunately, there are many cruise lines and cruise ships to choose from.

I was pretty vocal on boards about my disappointment regarding this policy with NCL- enough so that we stuck them from the list.  I did get a bevy of 'drink tap water' responses .  I frankly question the water supply on a ship and drink bottled water in hotels etc. so my feeling is -offering a drink package, charging me an exorbitant  gratuity for the privilege and then taking away bottled water is a rip-off. To add insult to injury I had the cruise booked and bottled water was included in DP. Then they dropped it which I felt I could live with because they allowed you to bring on bottled water cases as luggage (admittedly a huge hassle) Then they eliminated this option. They did 'allow' you to buy a case of water for something like 50 bucks plus adding their 18% grat.

No thanks.

I agree with you voting with your feet and commenting loudly on CC is the only way to combat our dissatisfaction with cruise line policies.