What is a PVP for? Booking questions

Lady_K

I'm planning my 3rd Carnival cruise. First time, I booked directly with Carnival. Then I signed up for the Cruise Rewards/MBNA credit card and earned points. To redeem, you must book through MBNA's travel agent. When booking our 2nd cruise, we redeemed 500 points and it worked very well. Their prices were about the same as I saw everywhere else. We are getting ready to book our 3rd cruise, either the Elation or Sensation.

I have a PVP who sends me emails and calls on occasion. I have read lots of positive things here about your PVPs. Are they just used to book the cruise? Or for general questions? Should I contact my PVP, even though I will probably have to go through MBNA's travel agent to use my points?

I'm planning my 3rd Carnival cruise. First time, I booked directly with Carnival. Then I signed up for the Cruise Rewards/MBNA credit card and earned points. To redeem, you must book through MBNA's travel agent. When booking our 2nd cruise, we redeemed 500 points and it worked very well. Their prices were about the same as I saw everywhere else. We are getting ready to book our 3rd cruise, either the Elation or Sensation.

I have a PVP who sends me emails and calls on occasion. I have read lots of positive things here about your PVPs. Are they just used to book the cruise? Or for general questions? Should I contact my PVP, even though I will probably have to go through MBNA's travel agent to use my points?

If you're going to have to use the MBNA's travel agent, don't even bother with the PVP. Any other questions you have can be answered here.

Our PVP was also excellent. I talked with the same one through all the planning and he was very helpful and friendly. PVP will answer any question you might have promptly. I would e-mail him a question and he would call me back within minutes! Impressive. :)

LadyK - If you booked with any outside agency, Carnival will not 'interfere' with that booking. All your questions must be asked of your booking agent.

I've used the same Carnival PVP for the past several cruises, and she is wonderful, always finds little perks for me, and stays on the phone as long as I need to, never in a rush.

Kel - As much as some of us would like to share our PVPs, on Cruise Critic we aren't allowed to mention any names, ext. numbers, etc. for ANY booking agency, including Carnival; and for anyone thinking about this - we're also not suppose to ask for private emails about any agent.:o

I also have the MBNA card, and I booked only once with them and used my points. Very disappointed with the service. I booked 6 cabins with the same agent at MBNA, and yes we got our point disount but that was IT. I really thought that at least a bottle of wine at dinner would have been nice, or something, but I was wrong. I have booked all of the rest with carnival, including Europe last year and the cruise that we are taking in December of 06. I have since changed my card to the one that is now being offered again by Carnival, and I hope we have better luck. I tried using MBNA for our nest cruise and was not offered the Military discount that was offered by Carnival, we saved about $500.00 with the military discount, which was a little less than the points that I had on the card.

I have booked directly with the same PVP at Carnival my last two cruises and have been thoroughly satisfied. Of course I ONLY book "guarantee" level rooms and I have received substantial upgrades on both cruises. I learned here on Cruise Critic that if I watch the cruiselines home page and see a price drop to call my PVP and request a credit. We cruise April 29th on Glory and from that tip alone I saved over $100 on our cruise. We also received a 2 category upgrade so I couldn't be happier. I know several cruisers who will only book specific rooms on a ship, then they are "locked" in to the price, I like the element of surprise. This year we have already received our cabin assignment and we are up on the Verandah deck!

I need to be educated on the advantages of using a travel agent or other means than a PVP for bookings. Of course we do not need any flight arrangements but those too can be done solo if need be.

Since I found this web site I have learned a multitude of info and like one of the previous posts said, honesty and no punches are found on this web site.

We are cruising the Eatern route on Glory in April so if anyone has any info to share I'm ready to hear it.:D

Well I just went on my 3rd Carnival Cruise and I originally called my PVP (they send emails like every week) She was a nice lady but I didnt feel like she went above the call of duty. I had mentioned to her I saw a deal on another website that offered the same price as she was giving me but that website was offering an additional $50 credit per cabin. She said that deal was not thru carnival so she couldnt really do anything?

I mean the cruise was a 1 year wedding anniversary cruise, she could have offered a bottle of wine or something?? But nothing. The conversation ended with ... well call me and let me know what you decide. Obviously I ended up not booking with her or calling her back.

We booked with a PVP last year, and he was OK. But he didn't try to get our choice of dining times, etc. It may be because we booked in late May for a late July sailing. Also, he doesn't always answer the specific questions in my e-mail. We want to go to Alaska again this summer. I sort of feel obligated to stay with the same PVP, but I'd kind of like to try a different one. Would it be considered a bad thing to call a different one?

Well I just went on my 3rd Carnival Cruise and I originally called my PVP (they send emails like every week) She was a nice lady but I didnt feel like she went above the call of duty. I had mentioned to her I saw a deal on another website that offered the same price as she was giving me but that website was offering an additional $50 credit per cabin. She said that deal was not thru carnival so she couldnt really do anything?

I mean the cruise was a 1 year wedding anniversary cruise, she could have offered a bottle of wine or something?? But nothing. The conversation ended with ... well call me and let me know what you decide. Obviously I ended up not booking with her or calling her back.

If the rate was at a travel agency site and they were offering money back then it was either a group cruise booked with that perk or they were giving back some commission that Carnival pays them. so that's why the PVP can't match it...nolt her fault at all.

She cannot buy you a bottle of wine or any other item or she'll get fired.

It's a shame you didn't feel you didn't feel you should book with her because of things that were against company policy or something she'd get fired for doing. She was doing her job and bookings are how she makes a living.

Cotton I always just go to the website and book without speaking to anyone... What can a PVP do for a solo cruiser like me ? Solo cruisers don't get any perks i don't think ? Am I wrong ? Should I use a PVP ? :confused:

LadyK - If you booked with any outside agency, Carnival will not 'interfere' with that booking. All your questions must be asked of your booking agent.

I've used the same Carnival PVP for the past several cruises, and she is wonderful, always finds little perks for me, and stays on the phone as long as I need to, never in a rush.

Kel - As much as some of us would like to share our PVPs, on Cruise Critic we aren't allowed to mention any names, ext. numbers, etc. for ANY booking agency, including Carnival; and for anyone thinking about this - we're also not suppose to ask for private emails about any agent.:o

Cotton I always just go to the website and book without speaking to anyone... What can a PVP do for a solo cruiser like me ? Solo cruisers don't get any perks i don't think ? Am I wrong ? Should I use a PVP ? :confused:

I'm also a solo cruiser. I would never book a cruise without speaking directly with someone. Wish I could give you the name of my PVP, but I'm a rules-keeper.

One thing good about using a PVP is that you have that one person directly involved in your cruise. If there's a question, you can always talk with that particular person. I've gotten some nice little perks from time to time, and have never actually paid the advertised rate for my cruises, as she finds some 'special' that's not advertised. She's sent me a bottle of wine on two occasions. She's a gem, and I've booked with her for the past several cruises.

I think if you establish some sort of rapport with your booking agent, whomever, wherever, they will go that extra mile for you. Once, I was upset with myself for booking guarantee, and 2 weeks out, she got me a great cabin that I was very, very happy with. We also exchange Christmas cards, and although that may not seem a biggie, it's nice.

I'd suggest that next time, you call and ask to speak to a PVP. Hopefully, you'll get a good one. One thing for sure, you'll get more personalized service by doing that than just booking thru the website.:)

Thanks Cotton, I think I will try that next time.. But you know what, since i never picked a PVP before, I notice that i get emails for specials from the same carnival agent, i think that they just assigned someone to me. But I have never spoken to this person ever, but i constatnly get her emails with the same agent name, oh well.... Maybe I will just call her up for my next cruise instead of doing it online myself and see what happens...

I'm also a solo cruiser. I would never book a cruise without speaking directly with someone. Wish I could give you the name of my PVP, but I'm a rules-keeper.

One thing good about using a PVP is that you have that one person directly involved in your cruise. If there's a question, you can always talk with that particular person. I've gotten some nice little perks from time to time, and have never actually paid the advertised rate for my cruises, as she finds some 'special' that's not advertised. She's sent me a bottle of wine on two occasions. She's a gem, and I've booked with her for the past several cruises.

I think if you establish some sort of rapport with your booking agent, whomever, wherever, they will go that extra mile for you. Once, I was upset with myself for booking guarantee, and 2 weeks out, she got me a great cabin that I was very, very happy with. We also exchange Christmas cards, and although that may not seem a biggie, it's nice.

I'd suggest that next time, you call and ask to speak to a PVP. Hopefully, you'll get a good one. One thing for sure, you'll get more personalized service by doing that than just booking thru the website.:)

No, the 1-800 # will just get you a regular res agent. To get a PVP, register via the website and you will typically get a call within 24-48 hrs. also the "click to call" feature will often get you a call within an hour.

Also, don't expect a PVP to match or beat travel website prices or give you bottles of wine or any of that stuff. They don't have the power to do that. Inevitably if you shop around you'll find something out there that will rebate commission or throw in something, but for too many reasons to list, a PVP will offer you great service, and in many instances end up getting you a better deal than whatever spare change a website is throwing back at you. (remember, prices change, new promos come up, etc.)

Also, don't expect a PVP to match or beat travel website prices or give you bottles of wine or any of that stuff. They don't have the power to do that.

I have to disagree. Maybe my PVP has 'the power'.....?:D

While shopping for rates on our next cruise I checked the website for the price and then called the Carnival 800# and got a quote for the same type room. The price that I get from the person on the phone has always been cheaper than the website price and I have been offered "special" deals from them that included 2 deck upgrades at the better price.

If the rate was at a travel agency site and they were offering money back then it was either a group cruise booked with that perk or they were giving back some commission that Carnival pays them. so that's why the PVP can't match it...nolt her fault at all.

She cannot buy you a bottle of wine or any other item or she'll get fired.

It's a shame you didn't feel you didn't feel you should book with her because of things that were against company policy or something she'd get fired for doing. She was doing her job and bookings are how she makes a living.

OK so lets see here, you think I should book with my PVP even tho she did not offer me the best deal? Wow I would really like to sell you a car, even tho another dealership is offering it for a cheaper price, you should buy with me. That's great if you are rich, and don't want the best deal, but most people are looking for a good deal.

Well that's fine if she could not offer me a bottle of wine, how about an upgrade or something else? Instead of just saying sorry, call me when you decide. To me a PVP should be offering you great customer service especially if this is how they make a living as you say. I am not going to reward someone for offering me mediocre service.

You can choose to book your vacations how you like. But I will continue to book my vacations on the value I get and the level of customer service.

I'm planning my 3rd Carnival cruise. First time, I booked directly with Carnival. Then I signed up for the Cruise Rewards/MBNA credit card and earned points. To redeem, you must book through MBNA's travel agent. I will probably have to go through MBNA's travel agent to use my points?

I have a RCCL CC with MBNA but its only for RCCL ships. Carnival has their own card now called Carnival SeaMiles. Not sure about the Cruise Reward/MBNA card, would like to see a link to it.

Thanks

Archived