Coral Princess Passengers Almost Get Left Behind

NMG318

Some people make a big deal about it, watching from their balcony as people run to board.  When I first started cruising in the 80's, we left late from the port for Caracas, Venezuela.  It was a major issue because of tides and Princess left 2 crew members behind.  Two young gals who rode in with our tour bus and against tour guides suggestion, agreed to meet us at our last stop.  We waited, guide calls the ship, they said bring the passengers back.  Princess left them in Venezuela, they were told to make their way to LA, to pick up their belongings.

There is always a big picture to consider in terms of port times, scheduling and for a cruise line making those changes isn't as simple as oh, we'll just stay here another few hours.  People can joke about it, say it isn't a big deal, timeliness is important.

There are always the “special” people. I apologize if some unfortunate mishap caused them to be delayed, but usually it’s just plain failure to keep track of time that causes the inconsiderate issue (or alcohol consumption)!! This problem is one of the reasons we almost book private small-group shore excursions. The ship sponsored bus trips always have the “special” people who can’t seem to get back to the bus by the agreed upon time causing everyone else to sit waiting for them to arrive!  And, usually, they are not at all apologetic about the inconvenience they’ve caused the rest of the group.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jennybenny said:

Were they able to get back on the ship in Ketchikan? 

That's crazy we always get back early, for fear of whatever can happen to delay us before we make it back to the ship, but there are some people who just like to roll the dice.

Yes, they were able to get back on the ship in Ketchikan according to the officer I spoke with. It was a southbound cruise from Alaska to Vancouver. I never heard how they got to Ketchikan. I looked up the cost to charter a small plane, and it's nearly $3,000 ($713 per person). 

• Like 1

They, along with other passengers, would walk every morning on the promenade deck.

You were all supposed to walk one way, like clockwise ... I can't remember which way.

Captain Bang would walk the other way, and greet everyone.

I always walk opposite to most other people, how else do you get a chance to pass the time of day with so many people.   BUT watch out for the grumps!!!