Statendam in Sydney today.

Kiwi Kruzer

Hi KIWI,

Glad to see you are out there. I will be getting on the Statendam on Mar 4 for 30 days. If you remember Mary, She was able to see it from her window in Sydney. I arrive in Sydney on feb 26. I think. The crossing on the PP was pretty good. 6 good days and 2 not so good. What was bad was after we left Perth. Lots of big rock and rolling.

Take care

Well, we just disembarked here in Sydney this morning. The Statendam is great. What a wonderful cruise...and a spectacular 14 days in New Zealand and Australia. Been on the Hop-on, Hop-off bus already and we are now waiting for the bus that goes around Bondi. Tomorrow we head up to the Blue Mountains for a full day.

Anyone out there entertaining the idea of taking this cruise we have one piece of advice and that is "don't wait another minute to book!"

I woke early this morning... the engines slowing down as we arrived off Sydney Heads. The pilot boarded at about 0430 and we steamed through the Heads around 0500. It was blowing quite hard earlier but the harbour is well protected so the wind died away to almost nothing. We were all tied up at 0600.

Ruth and I finished packing out carry-off bags and then went down to Pinnacle at 0630 for breakfast.

Our number was first called so by 7.30 we were heading down the gangway. Picked out our bags and straight outside and into a taxi... arriving at our house just a few minutes past 0800. :) It could not have been easier.

Checked on phone messages and opened up the house. Ruth went out for some milk so we could enjoy a cup of HOT tea. Quick shower and then left the house again at 1000 to return to the ship!!!!!! Waiting for me were 20 members and friends of the Sydney Branch of the World Ship Society who had been invited to come aboard and view the ship. I was given the task of being the official guide. Well, otherwise a member of cruise staff would have been required to stay behind and show us around.

A quick tour of some of the lower decks and then up to the Lido for lunch. Our gracious commander, Captain Pieter Bos stopped by for a chat and then joined the group for lunch. Following yet another excellent lido lunch we continued the tour, eventually disembarking around 1500.

The members were quite impressed with the ship... as well they should be! Ruth and I enjoyed a great two weeks cruising from Auckland. The ship is running well and is impeccable. Service and attention from staff was top notch. Our farewell 'Gelang Gelang' last night was the best I've ever heard.... almost put on like a Broadway production!

Stephen

Steven,

Glad you had a nice time. I am the one that asked about Capt. Bos. look foward to meeting him again. I was 3 years ago that I met my girlfriend on board your namesake. This time as we sail out of Sydney we will be together. She saw the ship off last night. Glad you had a nice time. We have 30 days on board. The it. was what sold us. Hope we really do get to make all the stops.

JEFFREY

hi to kiwi kruser(great picture), karenanne and princendam...i have been

following the cruise with much interest because my friends, jim and jackie

murphy from the us were on that ship. did anyone meet them during that time?

let me know! barbara schofield, new jersey-jschof42@att.net

Well, we just disembarked here in Sydney this morning. The Statendam is great. What a wonderful cruise...and a spectacular 14 days in New Zealand and Australia. Been on the Hop-on, Hop-off bus already and we are now waiting for the bus that goes around Bondi. Tomorrow we head up to the Blue Mountains for a full day.

Anyone out there entertaining the idea of taking this cruise we have one piece of advice and that is "don't wait another minute to book!"

Hi KIWI,

Glad to see you are out there. I will be getting on the Statendam on Mar 4 for 30 days. If you remember Mary, She was able to see it from her window in Sydney. I arrive in Sydney on feb 26. I think. The crossing on the PP was pretty good. 6 good days and 2 not so good. What was bad was after we left Perth. Lots of big rock and rolling.

Take care

Nice to hear from you .

Indeed I remember you both from that great 30 day cruise on PP through the Indian Ocean.The overland through India and the stay in Capetown were just awesome.Sounds like it was a bit rough across the Australian Bight.You have another wonderful cruise coming up ,on a wondeful ship.Is it a back to back cruise? We were on Statendam for the Xmas New Year cruise from Ak to Sy and had a really great time.Only rough for a while when we started to cross the Tasman.All the best to you both and wishing you smooth seas for your next adventure.

David.

Hi Dave,

Yes, thats where it got real bad. Things were flying everywhere. But we all survived.

The cruise is a B2B. Sydney to HK to Osaka. First time back on HAL since I met Mary on the Princedam in 2003. I think she has about 230+ days on HAL.

Looking foward to sailing out.

JEFFREY

I concur with Karenanne that the Statendam is a wonderful ship and the NZ-Australia itinerary was outstanding. It would have been worth it just to see Milford Sounds and the fiords.

We had 5 days in a row of ports with interesting excursions so I was happy to welcome a few sea days.

Our group, staying in Sydney for a few days, was the last to leave the ship on Saturday. If you think the Opera House is beautiful outside, try to attend a function there -- we saw Madame Butterfly on Saturday night and it was just outstanding. Be prepared to pay a lot! We booked the tickets (via travel agent and hotel concierge) 8 months ago!

Once I unpack and get organized, I'll give further reports on the cruise.

Hi, jschof42. Just wanted to let you know that we did meet Jim and Jackie Murphy -- they were our tablemates in the Rotterdam dining room and were very fun!

The trip as well was amazing and I can't think of a better way to end it, that is if you really have to end it, then to dock just outside of the Sydney Opera House. Sounds stupid to say but I couldn't get over really seeing the iconic structure in person!

After we disembarked, checked in to our hotel and wandered around elsewhere for a bit we eventually found ourselves back at the dock for sailaway...it felt a bit weird to see other people, strangers, on "our" ship, but we had fun waving goodbye.

We are running a virtual report on the cruise -- hope you'll check it out. Sydney and disembarkation will launch tomorrow, Wednesday.... Here's a link: http://www.cruisecritic.com/virtual/virtual.cfm?ID=17#141.

Carolyn Brown

Editor

Cruise Critic

• 2 weeks later...

We were also on the Statendam when she pulled into Sydney Harbor - what an experience - it all seems like a dream now. :cool:

After spending four days in Sydney, over 40 of our group took a six day land tour extension, ending with three nights in Cairns. We left Cairns on the 14th and had the longest Valentines day ever, Barbara figures it was 42 hours long! We traveled from around 11:30 AM to 7:45 PM, which included crossing the International Date Line. From the time we left the motel in Cairns till we checked into the motel in Seattle - 30 hours had gone by.:eek:

When I get time I want to write a comprehensive review of our two weeks onboard. We, as a couple, and as members of cruise critic, were treated wonderfully by Capt Bos, Hotel Manager Frits Gehner, and Bar Manager Alejandro Encisco Jr. The members of our Roll Call were treated to two private meetings while we were on board. Refreshments were provided both times with the compliments of the ship. :D

I recommend anyone hosting a Roll Call onboard any of HAL ships should contact their Seattle office immediately. You won't regret it.

In a little over two weeks I will be joining the Statendam for it's 30 day run to Osaka. Looking foward to seeing Capt. Bos again. He was the Capt twice when I was on the Princendam. A very nice man. Should be a very interesting cruise. If we get to some of the places we have planned.

jeffrey

In a little over two weeks I will be joining the Statendam for it's 30 day run to Osaka. Looking foward to seeing Capt. Bos again. He was the Capt twice when I was on the Princendam. A very nice man. Should be a very interesting cruise. If we get to some of the places we have planned.

jeffrey

It seems to me that in a conversation we had with the Captain, he would be leaving the Statendam before the Osaka run. For your sake I hope he is still onboard as he is a terrific person.

I was on the ship with JackWC and had the pleasure of meeting him and Barbara both at the Cruise Critic meeting and we once shared a table in the Lido. It was an amazing cruise -- a few more days on the ship and they would have to have rolled me down the gangplank!

We ended our trip in Sydney by seeing Madame Butterfly at the magnificent Sydney Opera House on Saturday night and the zoo on Sunday.

Our trip home seemed never ending, and our Quantas flight home was the most turbulent I've ever experienced. However we made it home and are looking forward to another trip one of these days -- as soon as the bank is replenished. It took me more than a week to get back to a normal sleeping schedule.

Archived