Cab to Mendenhall Glacier

DENNAS

I called Juneau Tax (907-586-1111), their fare is similar to Evergreen Taxi as reported by Zuzu99. The person answered said the fare is by the meter ( "around $35 but should not be more than $35"). She also said they charge $17 per person for park admission if you don't have a national park pass, $12 if you do.

3 hours ago, screenname2004 said:

Does the "blue bus" give discount if we have a national park pass?

$5 discount if you have a national park pass. Their online reservation system can't handle the discount. If you have a pass and want to book the shuttle ahead of time, you have to call or email. The email address is on their home page.

• Thanks 1

Does anyone know if the cabs charge $17 for the $5 entry for both adults and kids? Our kids will be 6 and 8 when we visit. If we are overcharged for the adults for the convenience, it may be worth the convenience, but if the charge applies to the kids too, it may be more reasonable to look at other options. Thanks for any input!

The Forest Service doesn't charge a fee for visitors under 15. 

But that's not to say the cab companies won't since they're charging $17 for that $5 fee.

Best to call Evergreen or Juneau Taxi to get a current answer.  Phone numbers in this link:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=fseprd495443

On 2/21/2020 at 7:42 AM, screenname2004 said:

I called Juneau Tax (907-586-1111), their fare is similar to Evergreen Taxi as reported by Zuzu99. The person answered said the fare is by the meter ( "around $35 but should not be more than $35"). She also said they charge $17 per person for park admission if you don't have a national park pass, $12 if you do.

12 $ for what? I is good to be the KING!

1 hour ago, pinto18 said:

Hmmm This is why we are thinking of taking the city bus, has any had experience with this? I know it drops you off a ways before the visitor center but thats ok. We have the senior pass and so hate to get charged extra by a taxi

I did it years ago.  The bus was almost an hr,  then about a mile walk from the drop off point to Mendenhall.  Flat, easy walk.

It was fine on the way there, but it was raining and windy on the return, so not a pleasant walk.  

1 hour ago, pinto18 said:

Hmmm This is why we are thinking of taking the city bus, has any had experience with this? I know it drops you off a ways before the visitor center but thats ok. We have the senior pass and so hate to get charged extra by a taxi

The city bus stop is a 1.5 mile walk to the Visitor Center. You will get distant glimpses of the glacier along the way.

• 3 years later...

These taxi charges, especially the $12 add on for a $5 park pass seems like a real tourist RIP OFF. Don’t understand why thr forest service hasn’t done anything about this overcharging. With the BLUE BUS and tour company shuttles not being given a forest pass they can no longer take you to MENDENHALL.  SO SAD.

14 hours ago, deelightfull said:

The taxis also need permits, the same way the blue bus does.  I wonder if they have more permits left, or if they're going to run out quickly too.

I received this yesterday from DLUX / Evergreen Taxi .. it appears they do: 

The Shuttles used up their allotted  number of ppl they could take to the Glacier.

The information provided below is general in nature, we are more than happy to answer any questions you may have.

The cost to go to the Mendenhall Glacier from the Cruise Dock area is approximately $45.00 each way for the taxi.  The rate is metered

We are a U.S. Forest Service Special Use Commercial Permit Holder. The US Forest Service has made all U.S. Forest Service Special Use Commercial Permit Holders, a Federal Forest Service Kiosk. The Forest Service Fees to enter the Mendenhall Glacier are $7.00 per person 16 yrs and up and $2.00 for 15 yrs and down.  This will be collected by your Driver.This includes access to the visitor center.  If you have any type of park pass, it would only be a $2.00 per person charge.  These fees are non-negotiable and are federal fees that are charged, not local.  The Company charges a 10.00 per person surcharge on all trips to the Mendenhall Glacier; this is on top of the Federal Forest Service Fees. The total cost per person is 17.00 per person 16 years and up and 12.00 per person 15 years and down.

The Travel time to the Mendenhall Glacier and Downtown Juneau, Cruise Terminal is approximately 25 minutes each way.

Our Tour rate is 70.00 per hour. 

We have vehicles that can accommodate up to 10 people. 

We accept all Major Credit Cards, Travelers Checks and Cash.

To book your reservation we will need the date your group arrives, the ship name, number of ppl in your group, time you would like to be picked up and a cell number your group is traveling with.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Shane Williams

DLUX RIDES