Fashionably Late to Safety Drill

LightCruiser210

1 hour ago, Underwatr said:

QM2's lifeboats are over the largest outdoor promenade I'm aware of. The muster stations are still inside, close to where one would board a lifeboat. But I'd argue not as close as possible (which is OK with me, having seen north Atlantic weather).

This could have been requested as part of the design waivers the QM2 received, like having the boats higher than the mandatory maximum height to the waterline.

• Like 1

On Oceania Nautica in October 2019, 90% of the muster drill took place in the lounge. Most passengers were seated. Then we went outside in groups to our stations. The outdoor part was brief—maybe 5 minutes. 

Edited by KellyCz

33 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

I rather doubt that there would be an elimination of a physical muster any time in the foreseeable future.

Look at all the impossible things that have happened in your lifetime:

A professional wrestler became a Governor.

People are wearing watches that talk to them

Virtually anything can be possible ,IMHO

• Haha 1

IMO regs also state that the General emergency alarm is 

“An alarm given in the case of an emergency to all

persons on board summoning passengers and crew to assembly stations.”

Then of course you have the scenario whereby not all the lifeboats are accessible / available etc. which was the case on one ship I was on .... four boats, three not available due to damage caused by heavy seas breaking over the davits.

http://www.imo.org/en/KnowledgeCentre/IndexofIMOResolutions/Assembly/Documents/A.1021(26).pdf

What is late, anyway?  10 seconds after the alarm sounds?  On a number of lines they say something like "wait until you hear the alarm bells sound, then proceed to your cabin and collect...".  What if you're at the opposite end of the ship from your cabin?  Seems to me that 10 minutes after the alarm sounds is a perfectly reasonable time to be showing up.  You could say that the people showing up early are the ones who are disobeying crew instructions.  If they are trying to practice for real emergencies, will everyone be there by the time the alarm sounds?

An added attraction of waiting is that you may get to use crew-only stairs to get to your muster station; that's the way it worked last month on Island Princess.  Nice change of scenery.